Is there any interest in a THIN tool steel knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Is there any interest in a THIN tool steel knife?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Often when I see a knife in something like a 3v, or a cruwear, or a rex45, it tends to be in a big chunky thing. You know so you can pull nails, or something. But is there any interest in a tool steel knife built for cutting performance? I can’t help but think that something like Rex45 would excel in a model like the watu or the ikuchi, to push the thin stock as hard as it can.

I am aware of things like the delica in k390 and hap40, but I tend to think of the seki models as things you bash to death, especially with the subpar fit and finish compared to other factories (that’s why I’m excited for the ayoob sprint actually, I won’t be as afraid to beat on it.) Also I assume the BBB folder will essentially be this, and I know that has some support from this forum. But it’s a fairly special project.

Please reply with thoughts.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JSumm

Re: Is there any interest in a THIN tool steel knife?

Post by JSumm »

Are you thinking putting the steel just in an existing model or a new model all together? It sounds like you are looking for something Delica thin or thinner just not from Seki. First thing that came to mind is the Gayle Bradley 2. It has Endura thickness but a really good hollow grind. It wouldn't surprise me if it is thinner behind the edge than a Delica. Slices incredibly well. The other that came to mind is the Sage 1 with Maxamet. Still thicker than the Delica, but has a tall grind to make up for it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´d certainly be interested!

First things that comes to ,my mind would be a Chaparral in a tool steel. XHP is great, but still a stainless steel by definition as far as I know. A Chap in REX 45 would be amazing, and Sal has mentioned that the FRN version would offer the opportunity of variants.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think there would be many people interested in thinner stock. The easiest would be a fixed blade followed by the CBB lock. I think most of the others require a certain thickness of stock in order for the lock interface to function properly. Mid lock would work but you'd end up with a thin lock bar which could be uncomfortable to use. Or, I'm wrong on all counts.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm
I think there would be many people interested in thinner stock. The easiest would be a fixed blade
I think you're right on both counts there.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm
I think there would be many people interested in thinner stock. The easiest would be a fixed blade followed by the CBB lock. I think most of the others require a certain thickness of stock in order for the lock interface to function properly. Mid lock would work but you'd end up with a thin lock bar which could be uncomfortable to use. Or, I'm wrong on all counts.

The Chap (2mm) has probably the best / most solid feeling mid backlock of any Spyderco I´ve tried so far. So technically not a problem.
But you are right: Some people don´t like to operate the thin Chap lock bar - but I think at least partly because they feel it is stiff, and not (only) thin . ?!

Anyway: More power to the CBBL and more CBBL knives of whatever kind is something I´d really like to see! So also a thin bladed tool steel model with this lock type!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:27 pm

The Chap (2mm) has probably the best / most solid feeling mid backlock of any Spyderco I´ve tried so far. So technically not a problem.
But you are right: Some people don´t like to operate the thin Chap lock bar - but I think at least partly because they feel it is stiff, and not (only) thin . ?!

Anyway: More power to the CBBL and more CBBL knives of whatever kind is something I´d really like to see! So also a thin bladed tool steel model with this lock type!!
I use a lighter spring in my Chap because the original was too stiff.

I would love to just see more thin stock knives don't care if it's tool steel or not. I don't need the added strength the thicker stock has just give me frickin LASERS!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:45 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:27 pm

I use a lighter spring in my Chap because the original was too stiff.

I would love to just see more thin stock knives don't care if it's tool steel or not. I don't need the added strength the thicker stock has just give me frickin LASERS!!!

Another way to make the action lighter is to place the original spring a bit more forward - though I never did this, I like my Chap as it is (might very well be that the action on yours was stiffer than on mine from the factory).

Yes, I am with you. 2mm imo is not really "thin" on a short, leaf shaped blade like the Chap has. Never heard or read any account that one would have actually broken a Chap blade (and I have asked explicitly several times). For me 2mm should become the new "regular" on small knives, and 2.5mm should on larger ones... :smirk
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:04 pm
Never heard or read any account that one would have actually broken a Chap blade...

But could it be flexed into hard use? :beaming-face
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:45 pm

I feel the same way...
So it goes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:04 pm
Never heard or read any account that one would have actually broken a Chap blade...

But could it be flexed into hard use? :beaming-face

:') ...

but if you thoroughly read through the thread you´re referring too: All I am saying there is that despite initially I thought it could never, ever be a little hard use knife,the Chap became just this just for me - through honest and extensive trying - and to my total, (and positive) surprise, but backed up by at this time a lot of testing and experience

And I grant everyone that positive surprise too, who might want to try and might (but not necessarily will!) come to similar conclusions

Basically all I want is people to accept that things can be A for person x, but B for person y, that both is just fine, that the world is a great, but also complex place, and that quite often things did show their true potential or just different capabilites cause people just tried a bit "outside of the box" (just think of medical drugs for example...) :smirk

/ Back on topic (and NO discussion about the above!! ;) ): Actually I´d like a thin bladed tool steel Spydie to have a longer blade than the Chap has anyway... my favorite would be an "old school looking" linerlock knife, with micarta or wood handles for that. But then: A linerlock actually IS a lock type where the (enough) inferface between lockbar and blade place a role...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm more interested in thinner blade grinds, even if from 4mm stock. I like thicker stock for the benefit of having a thicker pivot and lock, and if something like a Shaman was ground down much thinner behind the bevel it would slice well and still be strong overall.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

👆 I would like to see more Hollow Grinds to achieve this.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:14 pm
You echo the sentiments of many a knife aficionado who prefers slicey performance. Massive excitement when Sal initially announced a Performance Delica K390 high hollow from 2.5mm stock. Utter disappointment when he later announced that the mfr would not do HHG in K390. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with HHG VG10, but for me it very much lacks the instant purchase appeal of the Performance Delica Sal had initially envisioned. Doesn't have to be a Delica, but I would very much like to see Spyderco move in this direction if only for a small segment of their catalogue. It is not a niche market but a full blown category in the industry. If Buck can hollow grind carbide enriched steels, why can't Spyderco? There must be some logistical issue that they can't address in the short term. If only............. :worried
Last edited by skeeg11 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

viewtopic.php?p=1629394#p1629394

This measurement honestly blew my mind...obviously, Taichung has the ability to produce very thin hollow grinds in tool steel...

It's not as thin as my reground Mantra2 (.008") but it's the thinnest Spyderco factory grind I have seen.
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JSumm wrote:
If they could do a high hollow grind up to the same spot that the Shaman is flat ground to, it would be really really nice. You'd need a pretty big diameter wheel though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
brancron

Post by brancron »

I’d be very, very interested in a super thin knife in a very tough and hard tool steel. By “thin” I mean thin blade stock, thin behind the edge and a very acute edge angle.

It is incontrovertible that thin blades cut better and longer than thick ones. And to keep a thin edge “stable” it needs to be tough (to prevent chipping) and hard (to prevent rolling). Many tool steels out there are capable of achieving both high toughness and high hardness, making them ideally suited for thin edges.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Such a knife sounds absolutely ludicrous. :spiral-eyes

How would you ever baton hardwood logs, lift struck paint lids etc.?

What if you were abducted by aliens on the day you were only carrying your thin bladed tool steel knife? The corrosive atmosphere in such a craft would surely rust the blade to iron oxide in seconds. And even if you were fortunate enough to have oiled the blade just that morning you’d stand no chance of hacking your way through the spaceship’s hull to escape with a thin bladed knife in any case.

So no, not for me. Give me an overbuilt stainless knife with 3/8” blade stock any day of the week. :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:55 pm
JSumm wrote:
If they could do a high hollow grind up to the same spot that the Shaman is flat ground to, it would be really really nice. You'd need a pretty big diameter wheel though.
BBB Collab aside, this, in 3v or 4v, would probably be my dream Spyderco model.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The fact that the BBB collab is being produced at the Golden factory is interesting...have they put out any really thin grinds before?

I think that the S110V UKPK is the thinnest ground PE Golden blade I have had...and it's .0185 BTE.

The SE UKPK Salt is around .011 BTE in the serrations....
So it goes.