Any news on more Kapara goodness?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vilePossum

Any news on more Kapara goodness?

Post by vilePossum »

Well, with the Kapara being my favourite Spyderco knife (even beats my beloved delica) I am curious whether there are any news about new versions / runs?
Lil Kapara and Kapara Slippy are supposed to be somewhere in the future (I'd love a Magnacut slipjoint Kapara)...
Any news on new variants / sprint runs? S90V maybe?
Does anybody know whether Alistair still makes his standard Kapara? Guess I should ask him myself...
wrdwrght

Re: Any news on more Kapara goodness?

Post by wrdwrght »

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

The lack of interest and replies makes me a sad panda...
But then again I guess that kind of reflects the situation of the Kapara... Guess I will have to get an s30v version if it becomes available again and get some rgt scales.
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I am also ready for more Kapara goodness. Magnacut, crucarta, lil kapara, I want all the kaparas except maybe the slipit. I might even get that one though. This is the first knife out of hundreds of various knives over my lifetime where I said to myself I want every variation of this one. I missed the dlt exclusive already and can’t bring myself to pay secondary market prices right now. I am hoping dlt does another run
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´d be so ready for "anything Kapara" if they made one with a linerlock!

Or at least with grippy Micarta scales and a larger comp.lock cut out.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:05 am
I´d be so ready for "anything Kapara" if they made one with a linerlock!

Or at least with grippy Micarta scales and a larger comp.lock cut out.
Yes and yes. I still absolutely love this model. I just don't unfortunately carry it much. This year, I will probably buy some Micarta scales to try on it. Maybe the pinch to close will not be so bad when the small real estate to grab on is a little grippier. The only reason I have not upgraded the scales yet is those carbon fiber scales maybe be some of the best looking scales Spyderco produces.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I'm interested in new models. Besides RGT, are there other scale manufactures for the Kapara, looking for the best option? I might switch out one or both scales for a gripper handle, but **** that CF looks nice.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The CF scales are grippy enough for almost any use outside of the most extreme. You’d think the scales were oiled glass with they way they are described.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:55 pm
The CF scales are grippy enough for almost any use outside of the most extreme. You’d think the scales were oiled glass with they way they are described.
They feel great in hand. The problem arises when closing the knife using a pinch grip on very little real estate. Small area, smooth scales, pinch grip. I've dropped it twice closing. I have however been known to be a klutz at moments.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I’d love to have a Kapara with a different lock. Backlock and liner lock are my preferences. Could it even get a backlock?
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

It needs a cqi. Larger comp lock cut out and blacked out clip. Maybe new steel too.....
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It seems you all have much larger hands than I do because I’m just not having the same issues.

I also use a different closing method than most since I rarely like the whole guillotine aspect of closing a comp lock knife. I hold the knife with its side horizontal to the floor, then release the lock, a little shake to get the blade closing, then I use my thumb to control close the blade. Very little chance of slipping or dropping the knife. YMMV
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Hopefully any new versions of the Kapara (and I’ve owned 2) will have the amazing action of the BHQ Sage m4. There has never been a better compression lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:24 pm
I’d love to have a Kapara with a different lock. Backlock and liner lock are my preferences. Could it even get a backlock?

As far as I remember (had a Kapara): I don't think the current blade and a backlock would fit into the handle... blade would have to be narrower or handle wider. Just a guess though.

But for personally a good linerlock would be great on this model anyway
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:49 pm
It seems you all have much larger hands than I do because I’m just not having the same issues.

I also use a different closing method than most since I rarely like the whole guillotine aspect of closing a comp lock knife. I hold the knife with its side horizontal to the floor, then release the lock, a little shake to get the blade closing, then I use my thumb to control close the blade. Very little chance of slipping or dropping the knife. YMMV
Right, I close comp.locks by controlling the blade with the thumb too (no "shaking" the blade though, but thumb in the hole right from the beginning).
But: IF one uses techniques like that anyway: A linerlock works better and safer for that imo.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Well, I’m not the guy to put up a strong defense of the comp lock as it is not my favorite.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:20 am
Well, I’m not the guy to put up a strong defense of the comp lock as it is not my favorite.
Blasphemer!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For the OP, the current Kapara will be available again but there’s no knowing when. It’s completely up in the air and they will just start showing up in stock again at random.

There have been rumblings of new Kapara variations, such as those mentioned but that’s about it. I haven’t heard anything about new sprints or exclusives.

———
JRinFL wrote: It seems you all have much larger hands than I do because I’m just not having the same issues.

Yeah same here, I have no problems with the current Kapara. The lock tab is perfectly accessible in my experience and I’ve never encountered an issue. The scales are smooth but the overall ergonomics still provide a very secure grip for me.

One thing though… I’ll just leave this here. :woozy
-Nick :bug-red
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Yeah, I know it has not been discontinued yet... So as I said, I'd like to get another one... And I would love to get another version... Oh well... Time will tell...
BTW I like the compression lock and I actually dislike drop shut blades. Maybe because growing up in Germany slip joints were all we were allowed and I was thought to always use two hands to close a knife. (didn't keep us from closing it against our legs etc of course, but you get the point)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

They were complaining about capacity or lack thereof, maybe that was for Golden, don't know about Taiwan.
Or maybe is the pricing that started to bite, like everything Spyderco Kaparas got more and more expensive.

And more expensive

And more expensive

And more expensive

And more expensive

Dec 2020 got my CQI Kapara with some discount for around €200 when it was €237.
Now it's €284 on the same shop.
I've seen them listed for €325-€334 on other shops LOL :zany

At these prices maybe lightweightcheapweight BD1N 8Cr13Mov Kapara is on the cards.

Wouldn't need any variation like that, happy with what I've got, nice CF scales, S30V is more than adequate, drop-shut action, deep carry wire clip, fits well in my hand, it even looks OK - for a Spyderco that is.

Since it's becoming irreplaceable I have to be careful not to lose it or have it stolen, due to prices might not want to buy it again or they might not even make them again, like where is the Flutted Ti Military.

The Golden Age of Spydercos may be behind us, so grab what you can while they're still making them and you still have the money...

My Sunday optimism, with high inflation, high energy prices, war in Europe and prospect of hunger in poorer countries and a generally fked-up post-covid worldwide situation I don't foresee anything good for the near future