Best Spyderco budget beater knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Takuan

Re: Best Spyderco budget beater knife.

Post by Takuan »

Hi, Jurmuscle. I don’t know if it’s cheap enough to count as “budget,” but the Pacific Salt is my favorite “beater” knife. H1 and LC200N are easy to resharpen and stand up to a lot of abuse (in terms of both toughness and corrosion resistance). The back lock is critical for a knife that will be used during exercise. I don’t like liner locks for vigorous activities since they don’t have a strong bias toward closure. I had a Microtech liner lock come open in my pocket years ago and put a nice puncture in my thigh that I had to butterfly closed.

You mention “pulling guard.” You’re not going to take this knife to Jiu-Jitsu class, are you? ;)
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Takuan wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:57 am
Hi, Jurmuscle. I don’t know if it’s cheap enough to count as “budget,” but the Pacific Salt is my favorite “beater” knife. H1 and LC200N are easy to resharpen and stand up to a lot of abuse (in terms of both toughness and corrosion resistance). The back lock is critical for a knife that will be used during exercise. I don’t like liner locks for vigorous activities since they don’t have a strong bias toward closure. I had a Microtech liner lock come open in my pocket years ago and put a nice puncture in my thigh that I had to butterfly closed.

You mention “pulling guard.” You’re not going to take this knife to Jiu-Jitsu class, are you? ;)
Lolol not quite. Pulling guard as in laying in dirt waiting for enemy in practice militray exercise. Sometimes can rain and fill the hole.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:57 pm
Just wanted to put some S where my B is... Hope this helps in the decision making.

I went with Pacific Salt H1 vs Frost/Mora(30yearold, river-used, beater) in an abusive muck test.
Threw em in dirt.
IMG_20220619_201546148 (2)hvmstart.jpg

Stomped them.
IMG_20220619_201612389firststomp (2).jpg

Covered with dirt and smashed them with a shovel.
IMG_20220619_201738754shovel (2).jpg

Got some nasty old water with bugs, and a lovely dipping scoop.
IMG_20220619_201936468water (2).jpg

Splash after splash and the Mora came out first. Lesson 1. Cheaper is better. Hi Vis is better. And the Mora floats in dirt/mud.
IMG_20220619_202008132morafirst (2).jpg

Then the real mud came.
IMG_20220619_202126193hvmpour (2).jpg

Mucked em up real good.
IMG_20220619_202113300hvmmuck (2).jpg

In the end there was really no difference.
IMG_20220619_202228241hvmdone (2).jpg

Conclusion, a folder and a fixed blade are very complementary. It was different type of effort to really wash the dirt from the pivot vs really clean a fixed blade that goes into a pack and not a dirty pocket.

Failure in methodology, none of this use/abuse occurred in a "pocket." Your results may vary depending on quality of water, dirt and pocket that you repeat this test in.
Thank you for the time you took to make that. It makes sense lol. Pocket can't get that dirty.
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I have a Raven 2 that I love as a "budget" knife.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 pm
you need a resilience. that knife makes a good beater and 8cr13mov is easy to sharpen. it's also a cheap knife that you can carry in place of your s110v pm2 when you know you're going to abuse the knife.
I second this. If there's something that can't be done with a Resilience, it probably shouldn't be done with a folder.

Pros: Inexpensive, sturdy, large corrosion resistant blade, 2 edge styles, 2 handle materials, 2 steels, feels good in hand, easy to sharpen.

Cons: Heavy, not rust-proof, big in the pocket, not as edge-retentive as other steels.

The budget and byrd Spydercos can almost be treated as consumables, compared to mainstream Spyderco knives, yet they are still of high quality. To me, that's the definition of a perfect beater. The Resilience is my favorite of them.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:42 am
ladybug93 wrote:
you need a resilience. that knife makes a good beater and 8cr13mov is easy to sharpen. it's also a cheap knife that you can carry in place of your s110v pm2 when you know you're going to abuse the knife.
I second this. If there's something that can't be done with a Resilience, it probably shouldn't be done with a folder.

Pros: Inexpensive, sturdy, large corrosion resistant blade, 2 edge styles, 2 handle materials, 2 steels, feels good in hand, easy to sharpen.

Cons: Heavy, not rust-proof, big in the pocket, not as edge-retentive as other steels.

The budget and byrd Spydercos can almost be treated as consumables, compared to mainstream Spyderco knives, yet they are still of high quality. To me, that's the definition of a perfect beater. The Resilience is my favorite of them.
I was thinking between the resilience and the cara Cara 2 LW. I seen the cara had bronze washers. Is this the same for the resilience?

-Tom
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don’t know. That’s something I never check for when buying, and I haven’t had mine apart. I guess I expect all knives with liners to have washers of some sort… Maybe someone else knows.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't remember. it's been a while since i checked. i can say with 100% certainty that it doesn't matter though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I picked up a Meadowlark and really did not like the FRN handles and the fit and finish. My wife could barely open it and couldn't close it even with a screw adjustment and KLP. I picked up the Meadowlark G-10 and had no issues. FWIW.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm
I never even really looked at those tbh. What's the difference besides the hole shape? The price looks good for what I would need it.
The Siki City lines will have higher end steel, more chamfering of the frn scales and if your budget goes beyond $100 usd I would also agree the Salts lines are suitable for the role as well. The Siki Salts are linerless.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:45 am
I was thinking between the resilience and the cara Cara 2 LW. I seen the cara had bronze washers. Is this the same for the resilience?
i just double-checked and the resilience does have pb washers, but it also has teflon washers. i guess to keep costs down they used both. the reason i said it does t matter is that i've never had any issues with my resilience.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:05 am
Lolol not quite. Pulling guard as in laying in dirt waiting for enemy in practice militray exercise. Sometimes can rain and fill the hole.
That makes more sense. :smlling-eyes That sounds like the kind of environment where a Pacific Salt would really shine.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:19 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
i just double-checked and the resilience does have pb washers, but it also has teflon washers. i guess to keep costs down they used both. the reason i said it does t matter is that i've never had any issues with my resilience.
Interesting. Which models have teflon and which don't? My S35VN Resilience has PB washers.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another vote for the H1 Pac Salt.

Or, if "beater" also means maximum strength: Look at the sabre ground versions of Endura and Delica. I do think (and actually know from experience) that the linerless, sabre hollow grind Pac Salt is more than strong enough, but technically the linered handle and "true" sabre (not hollow sabre) blade of the Endura (or Delica) SG are even stronger (I still have my first Spydie, a combo edge sabre ground Delica - and despite it has just 2.5 mm blade stock, this thing feels just absolutely unbreakable - especially the sturdy tip).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A budget/beater knife??? Interesting topic. First off there are so many in the Spyderco Salt Series that would do quite well in that category. Over the years I have also marveled at how rugged those Spyderco RESCUE models are. I've had 3 of those RESCUE models in the past two decades and used them all hard. My favorite being the Stainless Handled RESCUE model from the ATS-55 line up made in the late 90s. I can't begin to tell you all how many demanding jobs I've used that model on.

Those Spyderco RESCUE models seem to just flat out dare you to use them extremely hard.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

My original beater was a tenacious. My current beater is my native salt because lc200n is super easy to resharpen and it’s lazy-proof when it comes to corrosion resistance .
Just one more knife...
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'm going to add here that I have had issues with rust on 8Cr13MoV, when used as a general freshwater fishing/boat knife. VG-10 has far better corrosion resistance in my experience, although I have gotten it to corrode a bit with severe treatment. If you can spring for a Salt, I do think that is a good way to go.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Coastal wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
I’d vote for the cara-cara 2 as a beater, carried one for years. It also has one of the most important qualifications for a beater: It’s super cheap, if you break it, loose it, or want a different one you aren’t out for too much money.

electro-static

Post by electro-static »

electro-static wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Coastal wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I’s vote for the cara-cara 2 as a beater as well, carried one for years. It has one of the most important qualifications for a beater knife: It performs well and it’s cheap so you don’t worry about breaking it or loosing it. If you hate it you aren’t our too much cash for a new beater knife.
mattsrabbit

Post by mattsrabbit »

Heya folks, I'm Matt in New York, a knife newb but a budding Spyderco fan. I currently have the Astute and Tenacious, working my way up to higher ticket knives with my eyes on the Lynch NW modded Para 2.

This may have been covered elsewhere (but the search feature is not being helpful) but has anyone come across deep carry clips (ti or otherwise) for the "budget" line of Spyderco knives? The Astute fits perfectly in my pocket, but the Tenacious is a bit bigger and more obvious while on the NYC subway. I'd like a more low profile, thus looking for deep carry clips.

thanks!