What should be the next Cruwear/Micarta Golden Model? (Hopefully regular production)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What should be the next Cruwear/Micarta Regular Production Golden Model?

UK Penknife
3%
Lil Native
4%
Native 5
12%
Native Chief
13%
Manix 2
25%
Para 3
6%
Shaman
11%
Yojimbo 2
2%
Yojumbo
No votes
Military/Military 2
23%

Total votes: 122

TomAiello

Re: What should be the next Cruwear/Micarta Golden Model? (Hopefully regular production)

Post by TomAiello »

I'm not sure I'd buy the UKPK in that variant. I just can't see a place where I'd prefer Cruwear to s110v in my UKPK. I might pick one up for novelty, and it would be really nice for folks living in restrictive jurisdictions to get a chance to try this combination, but for me the UKPK is a travel knife and I can't see going with Crucarta over FRN/s110v for that.
kobold

Re: What should be the next Cruwear/Micarta Golden Model? (Hopefully regular production)

Post by kobold »

I voted Native, but my second choice would be the Military. The OG Military with the liner lock.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I voted manix. That is the only cruwcarta model i would spend my cash on. Milly 2 seems nice but it will be to big to use.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I voted P3.
Not my favorite Spyderco by any stretch, but it fits my hand better than the N5 and provides a bit more edge.
The non LW Manix is great in hand, but heavy in the pocket, so I probably wouldn’t carry it a lot.

Now, I’ve said for a long time that I would like to see a mini Caribbean some day, and if we ever do - I think it would also be a great platform for a crucarta version. I really want to see a Taichung or Golden compact (3”) with full edge all the way to the handle. If it came in both a Salt and a tool steel I would be over the moon excited (and that doesn’t happen a lot with knives lately)
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Not a popular opinion, but I’d much rather see some Seiki Japan FRN Cruwear (Delica, Endela, Endura, Straight Spine Stretch, etc) before another golden crucarta model.

But of the ones listed in the poll… I’d probably be most tempted by a Shaman. Maybe they could do it in OD green micarta as to not step on the toes of the previous sprint(s).
Last edited by Haunted House on Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another vote for the "real" (linerlock) Military 1 here!

No critique (but thanks for the poll!) but if would have been interesting to see how votes would have split between Military 1 and "Military" 2, if people had have the choice.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Haunted House wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:40 pm
Not a popular opinion, but I’d much rather see some Seiki Japan FRN Cruwear (Delica, Endela, Endura, Straight Spine Stretch, etc) before another golden crucarta model.

But of the ones listed in the pole… I’d probably be most tempted by a Shaman. Maybe they could do it in OD green micarta as to not step on the toes of the previous sprint(s).

I think it is a fairly popular opinion! I am right there with you! Give me some Cru-carta Seki Wharnie Delicas and Endelas and I'm a happy camper!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:58 am
Haunted House wrote:

But of the ones listed in the pole… I’d probably be most tempted by a Shaman. Maybe they could do it in OD green micarta as to not step on the toes of the previous sprint(s).

I think it is a fairly popular opinion! I am right there with you! Give me some Cru-carta Seki Wharnie Delicas and Endelas and I'm a happy camper!
of the seki models, i think i'd prefer a rockjumper in this combo, personally. actually, a rockjumper in the ticn cruwear and od frn like we saw in the past would be amazing.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Well, I am also totally in when it comes to Seki Crucarta models (though for me it is more about the Micarta than the Cruwear - not saying though that I´d not like to try that steel finally!)!

Perhaps even a Stretch XL? (Not likely, I know, cause it would require liners which the current FRN Stretch XL does not have)

Just out of that "Golden" list I voted for the linerlock Millie (though it is a bit like with the Stretch XL: The Millie most likely would also have to "gain" liners in order to support that Micarta)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Haunted House wrote:

If G-10 is very expensive to work with in Japan, I have to wonder if micarta would be cheaper.
If it is, a line of full steel liner micarta handled manbug/dragonfly/delica/endela/endura would be a cool thing especially if they were all the wharncliffe blade shape!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:39 pm
Haunted House wrote:

If G-10 is very expensive to work with in Japan, I have to wonder if micarta would be cheaper.
If it is, a line of full steel liner micarta handled manbug/dragonfly/delica/endela/endura would be a cool thing especially if they were all the wharncliffe blade shape!
Someone needs to grab that idea, like Knifecenter and the Hap 40 Pakawood.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm
cjk wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Someone needs to grab that idea, like Knifecenter and the Hap 40 Pakawood.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like the Pakkawood ones, only cooler. :winking-tongue more k390 please.
BMCM

Post by BMCM »

Of the listed choices, Manix 2 I suppose but I'd much rather a Manix 2XL. I find the Manix 2 awkwardly small and gave mine to the wife, she loves it. The XL version is a perfect fit for me and has the best hand feel of any in my modest collection.

So, Manix 2 XL, Cruwear/micarta is my pick.

One other thing, I'd do away with the coarse jimping on the liners and only leave the fine pitch jimping on the choils. Pardon me if this has already been covered elsewhere, I'm kinda new here.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

cjk wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Notice I said FRN, not G-10 or Micarta :winking-tongue. Don’t get me wrong, I love Micarta, but for actual use/hard use, I’ll take FRN over Micarta any day of the week. I don’t have any interest in a Seki model with micarta scales personally.
*(I’d probably buy one, and I’d definitely buy one if it was Cruwear, but I’d rather have FRN. I just prefer it’s aggressive texture, durability and resistance to the elements over Micarta).
Last edited by Haunted House on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm
cjk wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Notice I said FRN, not G-10 or Micarta :winking-tongue. Don’t get me wrong, I love Micarta, but for actual use/hard use, I’ll take FRN over Micarta any day of the week. OD green FRN would be awesome!
One more plea for DLT to do their Seki Cruwear OD Green FRN exclusive treatment to the Endura.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:01 pm
Haunted House wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm
cjk wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Notice I said FRN, not G-10 or Micarta :winking-tongue. Don’t get me wrong, I love Micarta, but for actual use/hard use, I’ll take FRN over Micarta any day of the week. OD green FRN would be awesome!
One more plea for DLT to do their Seki Cruwear OD Green FRN exclusive treatment to the Endura.
That would be a mean machine!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I voted Military 2. I’m hopeful that the new model will be more accommodating of Micarta.

I’d also probably buy a Para 3 or a Lil Native, and maybe a UKPK. The Manix 2 would be a good idea, but I don’t love the ergos.

I really think that Crucarta is pretty much the best combo.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

of the seki models, i think i'd prefer a rockjumper in this combo, personally. actually, a rockjumper in the ticn cruwear and od frn like we saw in the past would be amazing.
You can’t do this to me!
Now I’m gonna be thinking about this all day, great.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear BMCM:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

I voted Shaman since it is a very popular knife and it would be nice to buy it directly from Spyderco.

The Manix gets my second vote but there was no second vote option!