Who's Buying Murray Carter Spyderco???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Who's Buying Murray Carter Spyderco???

Post by ABX2011 »

I got the super blue Nakiri on sale. The handle is nice. The blade is warped pretty badly. It can be bent easily but the warp at the edge ain't coming out. Overall I'm disappointed. My guess is many of these are warped but most people don't even notice.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am perplexed by some of their pricing. I can't see spending over $200 for an injection molded Chef's knife when there are better handle materials and steels available from a number of Japanese knife makers in that price range. I have been happy with a TwoSun chef's knife in 14C28N that cost me all of $45 as well as a Vosteed that was about the same price.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

araneae wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:36 pm
I am perplexed by some of their pricing. I can't see spending over $200 for an injection molded Chef's knife when there are better handle materials and steels available from a number of Japanese knife makers in that price range. I have been happy with a TwoSun chef's knife in 14C28N that cost me all of $45 as well as a Vosteed that was about the same price.
You're telling this to a group of people who have ZERO issue spending $120 - $200 on a pocket knife with a 3" blade and FRN handle, lol. I've never understood how some people can have $20,000+ pocket knife collections... And cheap kitchen knives. I paid $320 for my 10" Gyuto with Super Blue/G10 and $200 for my Nakiri with Super Blue/G10. I feel that was reasonable for what I received.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:26 pm
I'm a professional chef but haven't bought any. I've thought about some more Spyderco chef knives, but I'm currently getting by well with a 10" victorinox and a SE zcut.
This ^

You can do pretty much everything with a 8-10” chef knife, a serrated utility/pairing knife and a bread knife.

* I’m not a professional chef.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Not me. My wife uses an ancient 10" Gerber chef's knife and a Shun 6" serrated utility knife, period. She loves them. I use mostly Wusthoffs, Mule Teams, various pocketknives that I'm messing around with, and Z-Cuts. They all work fine.
fixall

Post by fixall »

A $40 Civivi can do everything a $250 pocket knife can do…. Yet many of us still purchase $150 - $1,000 pocket knives on a regular basis. I wonder why purchasing expensive kitchen knives feels different to some people. I use my kitchen knives a lot more than I use any one, single pocket knife, so I feel the cost is easily justified.

For me…. If it’s in my house/garage and it has a blade on it…. It’s getting a premium blade. It doesn’t matter if that be a knife, scissors, lawnmower, bandsaw, you name it.
Danke

Post by Danke »

My birthday is coming up soon, just saying.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I already have several hand forged carbon steel knives from Japanese makers (which got semi-retired, due to the extra care they require) and a few Tojiro DP knives (VG-10 laminate), so I'm pretty set in that product category.

They certainly look like a nice cross between tradition and function, but I really don't need any more kitchen knives (and despite his making reputedly excellent knives, I don't really drink the Murray Carter KoolAid).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

fixall wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:10 pm
A $40 Civivi can do everything a $250 pocket knife can do…. Yet many of us still purchase $150 - $1,000 pocket knives on a regular basis. I wonder why purchasing expensive kitchen knives feels different to some people. I use my kitchen knives a lot more than I use any one, single pocket knife, so I feel the cost is easily justified.

For me…. If it’s in my house/garage and it has a blade on it…. It’s getting a premium blade. It doesn’t matter if that be a knife, scissors, lawnmower, bandsaw, you name it.
Everyone cooks, and one makes a lot more cuts cooking than with a pocket knife - why not get the best tool for the job?
fixall

Post by fixall »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:03 pm
I got the super blue Nakiri on sale. The handle is nice. The blade is warped pretty badly. It can be bent easily but the warp at the edge ain't coming out. Overall I'm disappointed. My guess is many of these are warped but most people don't even notice.
My first Gyuto was warped. Spyderco swapped it out for a new one in no time flat.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

araneae wrote:
Japanese knife makers
TwoSun
Vosteed
14c28n
Those knives are made in China and 14c28n is not better. Unless your post is meant to refer to other unnamed Japanese knife makers, comparisons like this can mislead people who are trying to compare Spyderco/Carter with similar products.
Crox

Post by Crox »

I got the nakiri on sale as posted in the deals thread.

I am rebuilding our kitchen knife assortment anyway and this filled one need. Being a Spyderco fanboy it seemed obvious for me.

Haven’t used it much yet. Not that sharp out of the box. Looking forward to what I expect can get crazy sharp with some attention.
araneae

Post by araneae »

spydergoat wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:40 am
araneae wrote:
Japanese knife makers
TwoSun
Vosteed
14c28n
Those knives are made in China and 14c28n is not better. Unless your post is meant to refer to other unnamed Japanese knife makers, comparisons like this can mislead people who are trying to compare Spyderco/Carter with similar products.
2 different statements, when I said Japanese makers, I meant Japanese makers and there are a number of them making knives in that price range with what I feel are better overall materials.

And I am quite happy with the knives that I mentioned. I am saying I can't see a $160 advantage to a plastic MC Spyderco with BD1N over what I have spent <$50 on. Sorry if you find it misleading.
-Nick

spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:17 pm
spydergoat wrote:
araneae wrote:
Japanese knife makers
TwoSun
Vosteed
14c28n
2 different statements, when I said Japanese makers, I meant Japanese makers and there are a number of them making knives in that price range with what I feel are better overall materials.

And I am quite happy with the knives that I mentioned. I am saying I can't see a $160 advantage to a plastic MC Spyderco with BD1N over what I have spent <$50 on. Sorry if you find it misleading.
It is misleading if you bring up a comparison but the examples you cite are not part of that comparison. Glad you like your knives, but that type of apples to oranges comparison provides no basis to speak on the value of something you haven't tried or looked into beyond the price tag. Yes, everyone can make cheaper knives with Chinese labor and cheaper materials. As far as japanese knives, it's unclear which ones you are referring to, comparable makers tend to cost the same if not more. They don't seem to make them in BD1N but japanese chef knife stainless steels that I've seen like VG10/SKD/R2 seems comparable. And I have no idea if a chestnut handle has any advantage over FRN. FRN is certainly easier to maintain. Mahogany or something will definitely cost more. This is not even taking into account the design, edge geometry or anything else about the actual performance. Or the quality of the craftsmanship. Or Spyderco's best in class warranty.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PXL_20220618_000407632sm.jpg
PXL_20220618_003539029sm.jpg
araneae

Post by araneae »

spydergoat wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:16 pm
araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:17 pm
spydergoat wrote:
araneae wrote:
Japanese knife makers
TwoSun
Vosteed
14c28n

It is misleading if you bring up a comparison but the examples you cite are not part of that comparison. Glad you like your knives, but that type of apples to oranges comparison provides no basis to speak on the value of something you haven't tried or looked into beyond the price tag. Yes, everyone can make cheaper knives with Chinese labor and cheaper materials. As far as japanese knives, it's unclear which ones you are referring to, comparable makers tend to cost the same if not more. They don't seem to make them in BD1N but japanese chef knife stainless steels that I've seen like VG10/SKD/R2 seems comparable. And I have no idea if a chestnut handle has any advantage over FRN. FRN is certainly easier to maintain. Mahogany or something will definitely cost more. This is not even taking into account the design, edge geometry or anything else about the actual performance. Or the quality of the craftsmanship. Or Spyderco's best in class warranty.
Sorry I've displeased the post police, as far as I'm aware, I can make any comparison I'd like. Welcome to my ignore list. And it's quite possible to find a custom made Bunka for under $300 in something like super blue.
-Nick

spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

araneae wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:16 pm
Sorry I've displeased the post police, as far as I'm aware, I can make any comparison I'd like. Welcome to my ignore list.
I'm not displeased, just disagree on something and sharing my thoughts. Don't take it the wrong way.
araneae wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:16 pm

And it's quite possible to find a custom made Bunka for under $300 in something like super blue.
This hypothetical knife is still more expensive than the Spyderco.
David R

Post by David R »

Late reply to this thread as I'm looking at buying 1 or 2 of the MC Spyderco knives. I have a MC custom knife I bought before his prices took off. It's a 7" petty that is a cutting dream. BY FAR the most used knife in our kitchen. Edge retention is not like a super steel. Don't care. Easy to sharpen and the geometry is just fantastic. It lasers through food. My only regret is that I didn't get a chef's knife/Gyuto from him when prices were more reasonable.

There are other people making great kitchen knives as well, and many (or most) of them are more affordable.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I bought some higher end knives since replying to this thread last. Upgraded from the Victorinox to some japanese knives.

200mm VG10 @ 61rc gyuto with micarta handle, $110

This gyuto is 240mm with Aogami Super steel HT'd to 65rc. It cost a little under half the MC gyuto at $180.

6" petty. White #1, $85.

5.5" petty. vg10 damascus. $85.

I'm the target consumer for the MC line. Spyderco fan, pro cook, and cook often at home. But there's a wealth of nice options out there for half the price, so I went with other brands.

Also grabbed a bunch of Kiwi knives. They're like the moras of kitchen knives!
:unicorn
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I have the Super Blue/SUS 410 Petty. I forget the name of the series, but it was one from the original run.

When I purchased it it had bands of micro-serrations up and down the length of the grind. If I were to sharpen and smooth it out I'd have to grind the edge back about .030" to get to un-serrated steel. I returned it to the SFO and they could easily see the problem. They let me look at a couple of replacements and they were the same. We did find one that a consistent grind and that's the one I went home with.

I can only imagine that the edge was put on the knives using a belt that was slapping the steel, so you'd end up with more pressure, then less pressure against the blade as the worker moved the blade along the sander.

I've used all the different types of Tri Angles on the Sharpmaker to sharpen it, and it does feel sharp. But, when I use it on a ripe tomato it still starts to squish the tomato without the edge biting into the skin. As a comparison, the 4.5" Spyderco Utility knife, (MBS-26 steel,) I have was sharpened in far less time and it will bite into the skin of a ripe tomato and begin cutting versus sliding and crushing the tomato like the Petty does.

I just can't seem to find the edge on the Petty. For more data points, I've got blades with ELMAX, SPY27, PD-1, PMA11, and K390 that work better at slicing tomatoes.