Who's Buying Murray Carter Spyderco???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Who's Buying Murray Carter Spyderco???

Post by Bill1170 »

Our expensive pocket knives and camp/diving/outdoor knives have the benefit of being a one-user knife in most cases. Kitchen knives get used by everyone who uses the kitchen, so the possibility of careless or abusive treatment to fine kitchen knives is very real for anyone who doesn’t live alone. I think this is a reason why knife nerds are often reluctant to put the very best knives in their kitchen.
vivi

Post by vivi »

get a $4 blade cover and put it in your room / safe / whatever between meals. I keep a $5 kiwi chef knife on our cutting board but keep the good stuff away from room mates. Learned the hard way.
:unicorn
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I'm not reluctant to buy expensive kitchen knives, in fact, they are the first high end, and the most expensive knives I have ever bought. I use kitchen knives far more than any other, so they are easily the most important in my daily life. I also don't let anybody else in my family touch my high end knives and they are entirely respectful of that, so that is a non issue for me. They just use the cheap Cuisinart knife set we have that I tend to sharpen often enough. In addition, because I get to use all the high end kitchen knives, I actually end up doing the majority of the food processing at this point, and hardly anyone else needs to cut things for big family meals any more.

I am thinking of buying an upgrade for everyone else to use eventually that will be better than the Cuisinarts, but also tougher than my high end knives, because they are not as knife savvy as me, and cheaper than my knives too. I'm not sure what that should be yet.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:18 pm
get a $4 blade cover and put it in your room / safe / whatever between meals. I keep a $5 kiwi chef knife on our cutting board but keep the good stuff away from room mates. Learned the hard way.
I already do this. It just requires a tiny bit of forethought to go get one, then immediately wash/dry it after use and return it to the office drawer. First world problem, to be sure.