Where's the SPY27?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spicy Suplex

Re: Where's the SPY27?

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Seems there's a lot of support for a full run on Golden in SPY27, I'm all for that. Nice and easy for the end consumer to digest, too: "Oh, they're putting their special steel in a special release across all American models, makes sense"

As for SE, Spyderco could even start with the Para 3 LW and/or Native already in SPY27, I'd buy either of these in full SE immediately.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Exclusives provide the opportunity to get a nice knife at a good price, a better price than if that particular knife was a standard offering.

Dealers ordering in bulk allows this to happen.

Spyderco makes their money.

Dealers make their money.

We get a good deal.

Win Win Win.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:45 pm
Exclusives provide the opportunity to get a nice knife at a good price, a better price than if that particular knife was a standard offering.

Dealers ordering in bulk allows this to happen.

Spyderco makes their money.

Dealers make their money.

We get a good deal.

Win Win Win.
Al good and wel but you can not possibly be good with all those exclusives messing up regular production ? You know without regular production, spyderco’s gobal Market will dry out and that can not possibly be good for them. Fast and Easy money can help a bit in improving the factory but it should not be there main Business model. Spyderco did decades to be so well loved over the entire world they should not destroy that for a few dealers that have dollarsigns in there eyes.

And i know the US is probably there biggest market but if you add up al the other continents i am sure they’re at least as big so not being able to spending time to half of you’re customers to get 10% of the other half something special seems not to be the best way if you notice almost nothing is in stock anymore around the world except for the bloody pm2/pm3.
And with not instock i meen dealers do not even know anymore if they ever become instock again. Knives like the Manix2 , Shaman , Chief , mini natives and many others of those do not say out of stock delivery in ... months no they say not abel to deliver anymore...
So unless i mist a big anouncement that spyderco discontinued all there models exept of the para series and a few Lw's this does not sound healthy.
Last edited by apollo on Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

How much of that is pandemic related and how much is a business decision on Spydercos part? I don’t have the answer to that. It’s easy to think Spyderco is a massive company, but is it really that big? I don’t know the answer to that either. I do know that these are difficult times for businesses big and small. Supply chains are absolutely screwed. Energy prices have an effect on everything else, inflation does as well. I don’t think it’s that easy for Sal & Company to get things done as it might once have been. Especially because they are an international company. If the chance comes along to sell a Thousand knives to one vendor? What would you do? These are long standing business relationships don’t you think? It’s not so easy to say no to an established trusted customer. They have families to feed too. Again, I don’t know the ins and outs of the knife business, but I’m pretty sure Spyderco would like to be able to cover all the bases. It may not be possible to at this time.
apollo

Post by apollo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:02 am
How much of that is pandemic related and how much is a business decision on Spydercos part? I don’t have the answer to that. It’s easy to think Spyderco is a massive company, but is it really that big? I don’t know the answer to that either. I do know that these are difficult times for businesses big and small. Supply chains are absolutely screwed. Energy prices have an effect on everything else, inflation does as well. I don’t think it’s that easy for Sal & Company to get things done as it might once have been. Especially because they are an international company. If the chance comes along to sell a Thousand knives to one vendor? What would you do? These are long standing business relationships don’t you think? It’s not so easy to say no to an established trusted customer. They have families to feed too. Again, I don’t know the ins and outs of the knife business, but I’m pretty sure Spyderco would like to be able to cover all the bases. It may not be possible to at this time.
I do understand and agree in a way with the things you say but if you see how bad things are they should be able to say to those dealers fine we be happy to but you have to wait a bit longer. Every week i read of an exclusive drop on this forum. But almost nothing changes back to in stock of all the normal runs. It is to frustrating , not to try and tell spyderco this on this forum thats my main reason of telling this.
And about you’re long standing business relations with those dealers. Those can not be more important then you’re own distributors under Spyderco license? ( Those are also a part of spyderco in a way because of the contracts) They should be a step above normal dealers if you ask me other wise you are cutting in you’re own network for a webshop to get a knife that can easily be made later on when there is time to spare again.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I don’t have any reason to think that Spyderco is any less honorable in their business dealings than they are on this forum. But I would also point out that Spyderco is not a public utility. We may be forgetting that because we are so invested in the company and want what we want when we want it. Spyderco is in the business of serving it’s customers to the best of their ability, amongst other things. They do a pretty good job, all in all, from my experience. I can understand your frustration, but; I don’t think Spyderco is specifically doing anything to keep you from getting what you want. They want to meet their obligations and their customers expectations as much as is practically possible, I’m sure.

Not trying to put words in anyones mouth here. Apologies if it comes across that way.
apollo

Post by apollo »

No apologies needed and if my words come across the wrong way i will gladly apologies to.
About Spyderco’s Honor there is nothing so say but good things.
That why i love this forum and its members even when there differences of opinions.
The thing is i understand all the current day problems of production i work in a factory myself.
It is just that if nobody speaks out from other parts of the world on this forum i do not get the feeling Spyderco would see problems as fast outside of the states. Everybody knows we live in the communication age but at the same time we all know that communication still works as bad as in the stone age waving some deerskin over a fire…
I read messages from people in the us also having trouble finding normal run spydies. Now they are what i read trying to solve this as good and bad as possible and that is great but they should also know it is even worse in other country’s so when they read this topic and i know sal is around all the time , maybe they can make (example do not know the correct numbers) 1500 of a knife instead of 1000 because otherwise that run would be a drop on a hot plate when you need to distribute it worldwide. And i presume spyderco needs to switch almost there whole proces every time they switch between making different models? So the more intel they have the better wright? :grin-big eyes

And yes i know it quickly becomes complaining but what can you do but feel frustrated when you’re favorite spydie is no were to be found. And those American dealers have a few but those funny guys do not want to ship outside the US… Give me a red button in that case and i will push it! :squinting-tongue
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:42 am
Of course I'm Biased as it's my baby, but we do have plans for SPY27. The next release will be the Mule Team Standard. Slightly different in pattern, but the same scales and sheath. This was the results of Mule Team customers asking for a standard Mule that would be available all of the time. Using SPY27 was my call for the piece and we're also planning on a serrated version.

SPY27 is,in my opinion, a well rounded USA made daily user capable of getting a very sharp edge in the realm of tool steels. Fairly easy to restore the edge as well. We do plan to use it widely, both in Golden and overseas. SPY27 is more expensive so we're not likely to replace any standard steels with it.

I see some models listed above for the steel. I would like to hear which models you would like to see with the steel?

sal
Is the serrated mule going to be straight spined? And when you say overseas does that mean it will be available to all your makers? It would be nice to see a Chaparral or Tenacious in SPY27.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:18 pm
No apologies needed and if my words come across the wrong way i will gladly apologies to.
About Spyderco’s Honor there is nothing so say but good things.
That why i love this forum and its members even when there differences of opinions.
The thing is i understand all the current day problems of production i work in a factory myself.
It is just that if nobody speaks out from other parts of the world on this forum i do not get the feeling Spyderco would see problems as fast outside of the states. Everybody knows we live in the communication age but at the same time we all know that communication still works as bad as in the stone age waving some deerskin over a fire…
I read messages from people in the us also having trouble finding normal run spydies. Now they are what i read trying to solve this as good and bad as possible and that is great but they should also know it is even worse in other country’s so when they read this topic and i know sal is around all the time , maybe they can make (example do not know the correct numbers) 1500 of a knife instead of 1000 because otherwise that run would be a drop on a hot plate when you need to distribute it worldwide. And i presume spyderco needs to switch almost there whole proces every time they switch between making different models? So the more intel they have the better wright? :grin-big eyes

And yes i know it quickly becomes complaining but what can you do but feel frustrated when you’re favorite spydie is no were to be found. And those American dealers have a few but those funny guys do not want to ship outside the US… Give me a red button in that case and i will push it! :squinting-tongue

That’s one of the reasons these forums exist: to allow direct communication and user feedback. We all know people who can address your concerns read what we write here. Hopefully, there will be better stock availability worldwide soon. Everyone is thinking we are out of this pandemic situation, but the repercussions are just beginning to reveal themselves. There is optimism in some respects, but a lot of work yet to be done to get things smoothed out. And that’s not the only factor, as we are seeing in Europe.

Forgive me, in the meanwhile, if I get excited when exclusives come along that are of interest to me. My wish is that you could get your hands on those Spydercos of interest to you.

Now, where are those SPY27 exclusives?
Last edited by jwbnyc on Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
apollo

Post by apollo »

I have a great idea. Sal open up a Factory in Belgium i will help you find good a location . And i will gladly become an enthusiastic employee. I am a welder mechanic and i have experience in assembling and dissasembling spydies and my brother is an engineer who is also crazy about spydies. Not to mention all the Belgian and Dutch people at the amsterdam meet that would fight for a job at spyderco. Then europe can help production numbers up , i will have the greatest job ever and jwbnyc can have more exclusives… WinWinWin if you ask me ;)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

🙄🙃
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Some of the European dealers need to step up and order exclusives of their own. As far as I know, Heinnie Haynes is the only to do so and at least one UK forum.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would love to see some of the German shops ordering a two hand opening backlog like a Delica, Chaparral, or something along these lines. Because there is one Spyderco that was not made yet - a §42a compliant locking knife.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I would love a Military in SPY27. To me the Military is the iconic Spyderco knife, that and the Native.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matus,

I had a design for one and showed it on the German forum some time ago and the group generally declined interest in the design because they didn't like the looks?

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I appreciate the effort Sal, thank you. If there was no interest, then of course it is hard to build a business case. But even a 'plug' that would fit the Spydiehole could do the job a lock-back knife. I was already thinking of that, but it would not be an easy thing to do cleanly (and make look acceptable) on a full flat grind.

I do carry knives that fall outside the $42a regularly, but try to do so with a healthy amount of common sense - so only when going for a walk or a hike in a non-urban area. In a city I most often carry a N690co Urban (that knife is a LOT better than it gets credit for - love how strong the spring is and the crispness of the stops) - as if I am honest with myself - it takes care of 95+% of my urban needs. Now the new PITS that is about to come out is making my life difficult :) as I am not sure I will manage to get both Ayoob and PITS at the same time.

EDIT: I guess I am going to get bloked for that plug in a Spydiehole :grin-sweat
cjk

Post by cjk »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:41 pm
I would love to see some of the German shops ordering a two hand opening backlog like a Delica, Chaparral, or something along these lines. Because there is one Spyderco that was not made yet - a §42a compliant locking knife.
I Assume that this could be something like a native 5 with the spydie hole so small it couldn’t be used as an opening hole? Maybe with removable thumb studs which could be used abroad?
Matus

Post by Matus »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:07 pm
Matus wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:41 pm
I Assume that this could be something like a native 5 with the spydie hole so small it couldn’t be used as an opening hole? Maybe with removable thumb studs which could be used abroad?
Yes, something along those lines. On some knives when one removes thumb studs, the knife becomes basically impossible to open with one hand (like most CS knives for example). But on Spyderco it would require to either make the hole very small (I recall there was a model made like that for Danish market some time back, though that was a slipjoint similar to UKPK), or not actually a hole, but just a gently etched depression with a circular shape (so that it still looks like a Spyderco).
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe they could come out with a modified SPYDK? Add a lock, change the blade shape very slightly, and you have a Germany legal knife. The SPYDK is a nice knife in the pocket and looks good folded. It rides well amongst all of the other things in a person's pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:04 am
Maybe they could come out with a modified SPYDK? Add a lock, change the blade shape very slightly, and you have a Germany legal knife. The SPYDK is a nice knife in the pocket and looks good folded. It rides well amongst all of the other things in a person's pocket.
I am wondering whether it would be easier to take an existing model and only modify the hole.