Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by AlexRus »

JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

Isn't the Military the only U.S. made Spyderco still using a liner lock? If that's the case, I don't see it sticking around for very long.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:37 am
i was confused by eric's comments in the bhq video about the m2 being cheaper to produce. how can that be possible? the m1 has been in production for a very long time and it should be easier to make a liner lock than a compression lock. and new designs tend to cost more because of new tooling and everything.
I would bet that making a good liner lock is a bit more finicky than making a good compression lock. Further, I would bet that the Military 2 shares some tooling or machinery with the PM2 and Para 3.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:37 am
i was confused by eric's comments in the bhq video about the m2 being cheaper to produce. how can that be possible? the m1 has been in production for a very long time and it should be easier to make a liner lock than a compression lock. and new designs tend to cost more because of new tooling and everything.
I would bet that making a good liner lock is a bit more finicky than making a good compression lock. Further, I would bet that the Military 2 shares some tooling or machinery with the PM2 and Para 3.
i seriously doubt that. tons of budget knives are liner locks and function flawlessly. the compression lock is a more intricate design, requiring tighter tolerances in more areas than a liner lock. also, every part of the m2 is different from the m1. the scales are a different shape, the liners are completely different because it's a completely different lock, the blade tang is different because of the new lock, and even the clip is different. it's a completely different knife. maybe the sharpening process can stay the same as the m1, but i don't think anything else can.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It is ironic that the original Military, long considered the best-executed liner lock folding knife in the business, might lose (or have lost) enough sales as to be discontinued. Progress marches on, and the compression lock has a lot of positives to recommend it.

I will be very interested to read field reports on the new Military 2, especially on its wider locking tab and cutout, because this addresses the principal objection to the compression lock when compared with the liner lock: ease of unlocking with gloves on.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:31 am
i seriously doubt that. tons of budget knives are liner locks and function flawlessly. the compression lock is a more intricate design, requiring tighter tolerances in more areas than a liner lock. also, every part of the m2 is different from the m1. the scales are a different shape, the liners are completely different because it's a completely different lock, the blade tang is different because of the new lock, and even the clip is different. it's a completely different knife. maybe the sharpening process can stay the same as the m1, but i don't think anything else can.
You might be right! It just seems to be that perhaps Spyderco has invested a lot of time and energy into perfecting the comp lock, and maybe less so the liner.

My argument about shared processes or tooling wasn’t that the M1 and M2 shared parts, but that perhaps the tooling, machinery, or even processing was more similar to the other comp locks in the Military family, leading to savings for Spyderco. Again, could be wrong, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm

You might be right! It just seems to be that perhaps Spyderco has invested a lot of time and energy into perfecting the comp lock, and maybe less so the liner.

I'm gonna say it's more like they got the Military lock dialed in decades ago. It was also an already established lock design in the knife world, whereas the compression lock is in house, so they could at least look to see how a proper liner lock is done and have some guidance, but with the CL it's all in house R&D. The age difference between the two locks is also pretty drastic.

As far as liner locks go I really don't think I've handled a better one. The current generation with the floating stop pin is easily among the best liner locks ever made.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Like many others I too own the Military 1 in multiple different steels pre and post CQI and just like Eric in a recent interview commented the 1st powder metallurgy steel 440V for me it was a nightmare to sharpen.

The more I think about it the more I realize my dream of this in Magnacut is unlikely to happen for a while so I will probably buy at least 1 in this in S30V while I wait, S30 V is still great Steel when sharpened to its chemistry which took me years to realize and correctly implement thanks to folks like Vivi. Funny how only years later one realizes what should have been so obvious.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
rgc

Post by rgc »

Well he let it slip that the S90v and carbon fiber version of the Military 2 is already in the works. I will be waiting with card in hand to pick one up just to see the difference between it and the original in ergos.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

CF S90V Will be very tempting!
(Especially if well heat treated to 61-62 HRC)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Also confirmed serrated versions and likely some kind of knifecenter exclusive.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

As a detractor of the pm2 i hope this transcends whatever it is about the pm2 that rings false in my hand. Also, I'm sad that designs are melting into each other. The inevitable hallmark of a successful business seems to be making one product in a multitude of colours and sizes. I miss the bambi-on-ice designs whose idiosyncratic details endeared me to this company. Refinement is fine, but boring, and i dont buy knives because i need them. Glad this stone is finally passing ultimately, it’ll raise the street value of the M1 and allow the flippers to renovate their Malibu beach houses.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

I am curious on this page there are two different members stating certain things have been confirmed. Not to be confrontational but may I ask who and what authority is providing confirmation of Carbon Fiber, Serrated versions as well as CF, I own the titanium and CF version of the MIlitary 1 and it is one of the best ever, super solid so of course as long as it is not that horrible slick fly out of your hand handle finishes I would purchase immediately S90V in a MIllie2 it is a great steel for these large blades. Sporting my Blue Bento Box Shop Millie in S90V today.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

:zipper
BeggarSo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:54 pm
I am curious on this page there are two different members stating certain things have been confirmed. Not to be confrontational but may I ask who and what authority is providing confirmation of Carbon Fiber, Serrated versions as well as CF, I own the titanium and CF version of the MIlitary 1 and it is one of the best ever, super solid so of course as long as it is not that horrible slick fly out of your hand handle finishes I would purchase immediately S90V in a MIllie2 it is a great steel for these large blades. Sporting my Blue Bento Box Shop Millie in S90V today.
That is coming from this video from KnifeCenter with Eric Glesser.

https://youtu.be/DTHH5GwEhjQ&t=900s

At the 2:30 mark in the video, Eric mentions that “[the Military 2] will come in a variety of flavors in the future.” Then follows that by saying “we’re already talking about our S90V and Peel Ply Carbon Fiber version. And we have some others coming.” That statement from Eric is immediately followed up by the video host from KnifeCenter saying “KnifeCenter may already be taking about some exclusives as well.”
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The S90V/CF may as well be Spyderco's version of a dealer exclusive combo, they seem to make that combo in every major in-house Golden release. I think I recall Sal saying he really liked the combo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:09 pm
The S90V/CF may as well be Spyderco's version of a dealer exclusive combo, they seem to make that combo in every major in-house Golden release. I think I recall Sal saying he really liked the combo.
I thought there was a recent discussion that all Golden-made models will come in that. Hence the CF/S90V Siren. But I could be mistaken. I guess that means the BBB design will come in that configuration, which might seem like a "downgrade" to the 15V release. Normally, S90V is a significant upgrade.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

BeggarSo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:54 pm
Sorry, I should have elaborated and included the sources for context and to avoid any confusion! Eric always makes some exciting comments during various interviews. For example, in a video by Knifecenter he acknowledged that a serrated Military 2 was not part of the reveal, but that they would be coming. It was implied that this was to not delay the release by waiting for the serrated knives. It also seemed implied a similar situation applies to probable future serrated K390 versions of the Enuff 2 and Lil Temperance 3 Lightweight, for what it's worth. Eric confirmed my thought that the sheaths for the Stok fixed blades are made in America, as well.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Another positive for those like me that have missed out on all the great exclusive Military versions, we certainly will have our shot at them now.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Thanks for clarifying the source, I find myself really looking forward to Spyderco again with the Military 2 coming out probably need to budget at least $2,000.00 for them in the next year or so. Hmm the idea of taking on a roommate now becomes more compelling...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can't tell if it's finally time for me to try a military, or if i'm excited for the military 2.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C