Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by Bill1170 »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:16 pm
I heard "add lightness" from a great man somewhere. ;)
Colin Chapman? (Deleted terrible smiley)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

When can we expect to see those hitting the stores ? I'm in Europe.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Xformer wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:58 pm
When can we expect to see those hitting the stores ? I'm in Europe.
No one knows yet, but Eric was hinting at Shot Show that they were moving the project along quickly. I think he said they were trying to have them out in a couple of months.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

But one never knows if "a couple of months" means a literal COUPLE, so 2 months, which would end up being March or if it's the more flexible "couple" somewhere between 2 and 10... :(
Patrickx

Post by Patrickx »

****, just saw there is a new M2 ... I am shocked, sadness fills me to see the unique Military design transform into just another xyzMilitary knife :crying-face

I might get over the compression lock but a basic standard clip? holes drilled everywhere to make tip up/down and diagonal user happy :angry-face and if I heard that right, the handle should be the same length but not as wide/height ?

If your hands are to small for a big knife get a smaller one! always this products who try to make everything right for everyone ... :cussing
Favourite Spydies: Military, PM3, Endura 4, Dodo
Others: Benchmade Bugout
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Both will be produced, so You can still buy the M1, no worries :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

horzuff wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:40 am
Both will be produced, so You can still buy the M1, no worries :)

For the time being... but for how long remains to be seen.
It can't be denied that they give the M2 a pretty substantial head start by (lower) price and marketing. No critique, just a fact, Spyderco will know what they are doing.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the M1's days are coming to a close. Gotta be realistic guys. For a small period of time you could also buy a Paramilitary and a Para 2 at the same time but it didn't last long. I'd get your M1 purchases squared away now while you can and start embracing the future.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:49 am
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the M1's days are coming to a close. Gotta be realistic guys. For a small period of time you could also buy a Paramilitary and a Para 2 at the same time but it didn't last long. I'd get your M1 purchases squared away now while you can and start embracing the future.
I picked up two spare Militaries on Black Friday for $160 each. I'm so glad that I did.

I realize that I might really like the Military 2, but after carrying a Military on and off since getting my first from my Kali instructor in 2009ish, and never finding a folder that was its' equal, I'm hesitant to not have enough on hand to last me another 20 or so years.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The only Millie I really hope is not discontinued is the S110V version.
In another thread, I suggested running approximately "parallel" steels in the Millie and Military 2. For example, a high wear resistant stainless version of the Military 2 might have m398, a steel similar to S110V (but not exactly the same).
This could be done with other similar steels in future versions or to compliment past Sprints (M4 to Rex45 being one possibility).

However, I think there are several other reasons the Military will stick around, at least for a while. The lock operation is, I think, still probably more optimized for gloved use. The clip is more robust. The handle has bigger swells. These are advantages for someone whose cutting needs fall in line more closely with the original intended application of the Military.
Of course, there are also many advantages to the Military 2 and we've been over them so much.
I just think they are sufficiently different to not go completely extinct.

Another aspect is the lock variation. Have we seen the end of the Framelock Millies? Do you think the Military 2 is going to change the likelihood of that? Well, I suppose a new Framelock might take the form of the Military 2's profile, but with a cutout for lock access? I wonder what people think of that.

I'm all in on the Military 2, once a serrated version is available, so these are just my views and observations of the original Military and its potential future.

Speaking of future, I'm honestly still interested in a Stop Lock Military and it would be cool to see Integral Compression Locks.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i would really like a framelock military with 15v or magnacut and a g10 or micarta scale. i wasn't interested in s90v/cf, but i really like that military configuration.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

This is going to be very popular, and they can remake all the pm2 variants. It’s a cash cow.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

I'm watching the Mil2 progression with interest but I'll wait for a tool steel version to make a purchase: Cruwear would be an instant buy for me but I'd also jump in for Rex45, K390, M4 (preferably in micarta but I could always source that later). In SS my only current interests are Magnacut and S45VN.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When was the last time anyone here asked for a Paramilitary 1 sprint, talked about it in general discussion, sang it's praises etc?

I'm not trying to say it wasn't a beloved knife because it certainly was but it has been so grossly overshadowed by the PM2 that it very very quickly faded into obscurity.

The Military 1 may hang on longer because it's basically a completely different knife than the Military 2 since it has a different lock, but some people may not remember how loyal the Paramilitary following was in the beginning....I was one of those reluctant loyalists but after buying and carrying the PM2 it didn't take long to indoctrinate me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm holding off judgement. I think there will be some improvements. I will say I will miss the linerlock. The Military linerlock may just be my favorite lock. So convenient and your hand is already where it needs to be to close. No shifting of the grip really. It is so well executed with a tight lock up.

I will get a M2 for sure. I'll probably be one of those that waits for an inevitable exclusive.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I've always loved the PM2 but always wished the blade gave me more. I'm excited for this knife and I haven't been excited about anything in a while. Please regular production magnacut
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have a bunch of Mille's and love them. I think the Mil2.0 will be great but I too will wait for a unique steel. Initial vote is for K390, Magnacut, 4v or Cruwear. S90v would be good too but I already have a frame lock Mille in that steel ;)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:29 pm
i think i would really like a framelock military with 15v or magnacut and a g10 or micarta scale. i wasn't interested in s90v/cf, but i really like that military configuration.
Frame lock + tool steel + Micarta gets my vote for a “last hurrah” Military. I’d buy the crap out of that. I vote K390 or 10V, but I’d probably buy 15V or Maxamet as well.

CrustyOtter wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:43 pm
I'm watching the Mil2 progression with interest but I'll wait for a tool steel version to make a purchase: Cruwear would be an instant buy for me but I'd also jump in for Rex45, K390, M4 (preferably in micarta but I could always source that later). In SS my only current interests are Magnacut and S45VN.
Same.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

This is kinda focusing on the Millie rather than the Military 2, but if Spyderco made a production MagnaCut Titanium Framelock Military, I don’t think the market would ever allow them to discontinue it.
Maybe I’m misreading something and that statement is an exaggeration, but I wouldn’t mind putting it to the test…
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

MagnaCut Titanium Framelock Anything gets my attention. :winking-tongue