Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cave

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by cave »

Put down a pre-order on the Military 2.

One thing that I liked on the Military 1 vs the PM2 was that the Military 1 had a noticeable chamfer on the handle scale edges, making feel rather nice in hand, vs the PM2's lack of chamfer and boxy feel in hand. I do hope that the Military 2 retains the chamfer, and isn't completely an upscaled PM2. We will see.

Would definitely want to see one in magnacut - a Military 2 with a magnacut blade and salt-rated hardware seems like the ultimate hard-use minimal-maintenance large folding knife to me.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The problem with the comp lock, especially when the so called pivot bushing is used, is that thight tolerances are required. I own quite a few comp lock spydies with side to side blade play and I can't fix that. I hate blade play ! I shall purchase one Millie2 for the collection but in my heart and mind the ''genuine'' Millie is the liner lock one. The only improvement I see in the Millie2 is the handle shape.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:02 pm
Who would go Gaga for a Tanto Millie 2?
Not I, but I have no doubt it would sell very well. The tanto PM2 is growing on me, however.

I sure wish folks would give up the pedantry around this model - a very small hill to die on.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have zero use for tanto blades. When I was young and impressionable I had a few, some good ones. However, actual use showed me that there are better designs for the stuff that I do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I really have any uses for a tanto Military but if Blade HQ were to make a M4/jade tanto Military 2 to match my Para 2, I would have no choice lol.

Seriously though I have said in the past that the Military would be awesome for a tanto, it would make a great hard use beater. I would really love something like this with the bottom edge in SE and the tanto tip in PE. You'd have the performance of a SE wharnie bottom edge with a bomb proof tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:19 am
....I would really love something like this with the bottom edge in SE and the tanto tip in PE. You'd have the performance of a SE wharnie bottom edge with a bomb proof tip.

That's actually a great idea and would make a lot of sense!
I'd then also love to see that secondary tanto tip be pointy enough for for example piercing the cardboard of packages.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:30 am
Evil D wrote:
....I would really love something like this with the bottom edge in SE and the tanto tip in PE. You'd have the performance of a SE wharnie bottom edge with a bomb proof tip.

I'd then also love to see that secondary tanto tip be pointy enough for for example piercing the cardboard of packages.

Yes definitely, still needs to have enough tip to make holes. I don't care for the tantos that have tips that are much beyond a 45 degree angle.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yes definitely, still needs to have enough tip to make holes. I don't care for the tantos that have tips that are much beyond a 45 degree angle.
That too!

But I actually meant the "tip" at the transition point from the longer (bottom) edge to the shorter edge at the front of the blade
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:19 am
I am glad the Millie 2 is in the new Reveal. This move to the Comp Lock is the right one for me, if I can't get a back lock. It is a strong lock, I think, which is unlike the liner lock. I never trust liner locks for hard use, ever. The Comp Lock has the advantage of being easy to clean and it can be operated safely with one hand.
I like the compression lock because I can’t think of a way I’d accidentally release it in cutting, likewise the CBBL and axis-types. I could see an accidental release happening more easily with a liner/frame lock than a backlock, so I don’t usually buy those types. Is there another type of failure in hard use I’m overlooking? Not being snide, genuinely curious.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:04 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:19 am
I am glad the Millie 2 is in the new Reveal. This move to the Comp Lock is the right one for me, if I can't get a back lock. It is a strong lock, I think, which is unlike the liner lock. I never trust liner locks for hard use, ever. The Comp Lock has the advantage of being easy to clean and it can be operated safely with one hand.
I like the compression lock because I can’t think of a way I’d accidentally release it in cutting, likewise the CBBL and axis-types. I could see an accidental release happening more easily with a liner/frame lock than a backlock, so I don’t usually buy those types. Is there another type of failure in hard use I’m overlooking? Not being snide, genuinely curious.
Not meaning to start another "comp lock vs linerlock" discussion (!!), but I can actually recall two accounts on this forum where a comp.lock opened accidentally when the person squeezed down on the knife really hard (can´t recall details though anymore, just that in one occasion the guy was preparing his house for an incoming hurricane and used a comp.lock knife in the process).

No similar accounts that I personally can recall concerning a good linerlock, of course there might still be some! (and keep in mind: There are a ton of BAD linerlocks (not on Spydies) out there, which imo are the main reason for the bad rep of this lock type. But probably NO bad comp.locks to this day out there!)

Now: I DO think a comp.lock is really safe in use, and it might just be one particular comp.lock model that is a tad prone to open under hard use.

That said: I used my Millie and use my S35VN Tenacious (and other linerlock knives) a lot and certainly hard: No problems, ever.
At least on a knife with choil the linerlock also has the advantage, that one virtually can´t get hit by the edge, cause in order to even being able to release the lock, the thumb is inevitably in a spot where it would get hit by the choil, not the edge and so act as a safety for all the other fingers (cause the blade gets stopped before potentially other fingers could get hit by the edge).
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It is interesting that the new Military 2 costs less than the original Military. I’m reasonably confident that this proceeds from streamlining the manufacturing process, as opposed to some sort of intentional market manipulation to push the new model. The Glessers have assured us that they don’t do this, and I believe them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

That too!

But I actually meant the "tip" at the transition point from the longer (bottom) edge to the shorter edge at the front of the blade

Oh you mean the point between the two edges? I can go either way on that, I can see some function in a pronounced point but that may also mean a very strongly upswept tanto which I don't know if I'd like. Have to see i guess.
~David
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

Waiting on a left-handed Military 2, but I fear that I may be waiting for quite a while. I suspect the lefty models are not hot sellers. Does anyone at the Mothership have numbers on lefty sales of the PM2 and original Military?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Tanto design has utility but has a tactinerd stigma
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JackRussell wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:57 pm
Waiting on a left-handed Military 2, but I fear that I may be waiting for quite a while. I suspect the lefty models are not hot sellers. Does anyone at the Mothership have numbers on lefty sales of the PM2 and original Military?
I can use my PM2 with my left hand without an issue. When it comes to being ambidextrous, the back lock may be better, but the comp lock isn't far behind. I put my index finger in the blade hole and use my thumb to press the lock tab. Then, I use the index finger to rotate the blade down and then move my finger to the spine and snap the blade closed. Simple.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:37 pm
JackRussell wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:57 pm
I can use my PM2 with my left hand without an issue. When it comes to being ambidextrous, the back lock may be better, but the comp lock isn't far behind. I put my index finger in the blade hole and use my thumb to press the lock tab. Then, I use the index finger to rotate the blade down and then move my finger to the spine and snap the blade closed. Simple.

This is actually how I close comp.locks most of the time with my RIGHT hand (as a righty) - probably cause I am so used to backlocks that if feels more natural to press the comp.lock tab with the thumb, just like I press the back lock bar also with the thumb most of the times.
For me personally also a better appraoch than the comp.lock-pinch-grip-swing-the-blade-shut - method that you tube "reviewers" tend to do a hundred times during a one minute vid... :zany ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I use my middle finger to press the compression lockbar, then use my index finger to push the blade closed.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Am I crazy or is the bevel on this knife extremely small? I wonder if this is just a photoshop deal or if these knives are actually ground that thin, or hopefully not just ground with a very steep bevel angle.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... on--146638

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

CursedMilitary2Tanto.jpg
It's mint if ya squint :zany
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:57 am
CursedMilitary2Tanto.jpg

It's mint if ya squint :zany
I will buy the Millie 2 Tanto no matter the steel. Maybe a sprint run.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.