Next Possible Sprint Run, Let's Talk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jurmuscle

Re: Next Possible Sprint Run, Let's Talk?

Post by Jurmuscle »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:32 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:15 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:03 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:53 am

They have the Para3 Lightweight in Spy27.
Correct. I thought you were saying they have a PM2 in SPY27.
They do have a PM2 Sprint in Spy27 lol.
Lord, you are right. I always forget about the Colorado flag model. My Bad.
Lololol. No worries. I think the flag on the blade is cool. But with the flag on blade and handle it's a bit much going on for me lol. And the full MSRP.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

I would love a Lil native compression lock sprint. The black one I have is competing close for my favorite knife lol.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:53 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:32 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:15 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:03 am

Correct. I thought you were saying they have a PM2 in SPY27.
They do have a PM2 Sprint in Spy27 lol.
Lord, you are right. I always forget about the Colorado flag model. My Bad.
Lololol. No worries. I think the flag on the blade is cool. But with the flag on blade and handle it's a bit much going on for me lol. And the full MSRP.
It is a bit much.

Here's to hoping for a full sprint series across all Golden models in SPY27 Blue G10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
petz462

Post by petz462 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:03 pm
petz462 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:06 am
I still consider myself a newbie in the Spyderco world. But from what I've read about previous models that are highly desired and CURRENT EASILY AVAILABLE STEEL at manufacturing locations here's what I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. The Caly 3 was made in Japan just like the current Caly 3.5 is now.
2. K390 is being used in several evergreen models made in Japan and selling very well.

Conclusion: Given the legendary reputation of the Caly 3, making it in K390 would result in a super hot seller. The 3.5 would be a decent compromise.

Tell me why this is or isn't a good idea. Thanks in advance.
Moki is the factory that makes the Caly 3/3.5 - not the same factory as the seki city knives (G. Sakai) - which makes the Endura/Delica line
Thanks, good info. I learned something today.
Dave
USAF Retired
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oddly enough to two models I really adore from the Calypso series are the two extreme models. The C-54 big Calypso and the rather short C-52 Calypso Jr. model. Both are great for EDC uses. I'm curious as to how the bigger C-54 model would be a a Supersteel blade. The old Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr was one I used a lot. That ZDP-189 model was like having a portable laser in your hand.

So with the Calypso models those are the two I will continue to cheer for.

And I just know deep in my gut that a JD Smith model with a supersteel blade would be a huge upgrade of an already great model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was a big fan of the Calypso, but I feel the Native Chief is fairly similar, and does a lot of things better.

I see a lot of talk of the full size Calypso being revived, so JD and others asking for it, what advantages do you see in the design over the Chief?

I realize it isn't an apples to apples comparison, but they do share some DNA IMO.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

FYI, I'm working on a 4.0" caly 3.5, which I believe will be more refined than the C54.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Another of Sal's casual bombshells.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You had me at FYI.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ooooh. I’m listening!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chris,

That's all you are going to hear for a while. Sorry. I just thought I'd drop that in due to the discussion about the C54.

sal
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

I commented before about doing a Rookie, but now that i think of it, i would really like a CF Lum Tanto in Magnacut! Make it happen!
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:24 am
FYI, I'm working on a 4.0" caly 3.5, which I believe will be more refined than the C54.

sal

That. Is. Awesome. :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I don’t really understand what 4” of blade would be primarily effective for besides a folding tactical blade. I’m really confused by a lot of people who sometimes refer to models like the delica, native, Caly3, sage etc. as small pocket knives. I feel as I’ve noticed the knife edc hobyists starting to prefer unnecessarily larger blades. I think most use folding knives have are for normal level multi-purpose utility use, because of there compact and ease of carry nature, and around 3” of blade has proved to be mostly effect for that, as I recall Sal saying once. I wish the Caly3 will also eventually make a return with the upcoming release of the lightweight 3.5.
:bug-red-white
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Size discussions aside I'm just pumped to see all the hype and excitement finally spreading over the Caly family.

Long overdue!
R100

Post by R100 »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:15 pm
I don’t really understand what 4” of blade would be primarily effective for besides a folding tactical blade. I’m really confused by a lot of people who sometimes refer to models like the delica, native, Caly3, sage etc. as small pocket knives. I feel as I’ve noticed the knife edc hobyists starting to prefer unnecessarily larger blades. I think most use folding knives have are for normal level multi-purpose utility use, because of there compact and ease of carry nature, and around 3” of blade has proved to be mostly effect for that, as I recall Sal saying once. I wish the Caly3 will also eventually make a return with the upcoming release of the lightweight 3.5.
I guess it all depends on what your EDC use is but for me blades over 3.5" are the most useful. My uses are mostly in a rural/bush environment so that plays into it. I seldom cut cardboard and don't open many packages but I am often preparing meals outdoors, dealing with vegetation or cutting up stuff like geofabric or shade cloth. To me, an Endura or Military is a much more useful EDC than a Delica or Para 3 and a Manix or PM2 is still a bit short. To me a small knife like a Delica is something something I put in my pocket clipless when I'm in town because it's better than nothing.

I think the best new EDC design by Spyderco is the Stretch XL. Roll out the 4 inchers!

Dan
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
XXL handles rarely come paired with 3" or less blades. That's my priority. I can get by with 3-3.5" blades, but the handles often leave something to be desired.

I've tried the caly jr, caly 3, caly 3.5 and calypso. The calypso has the best handle for my hands.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:36 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
XXL handles rarely come paired with 3" or less blades. That's my priority. I can get by with 3-3.5" blades, but the handles often leave something to be desired.

I've tried the caly jr, caly 3, caly 3.5 and calypso. The calypso has the best handle for my hands.
They sound like me before I bought and carried the Shaman and Police 4.

Remember when I was all about the smallest knife necessary vivi? My tastes have certainly changed since then.

Tristan, what my experience has been from trying many different knives is, I can get by with a knife the size of a Dragonfly. But a knife the size of a Police4 cuts so much better, easier, and longer (there's more edge so it doesn't dull as fast). I definitely prefer larger knives now.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:

Hi Tristan_david,

Some of your question has been answered by Dan, Vivi and Zrows. Handle size and blade function are a big part of it. I'm not sure tactical has much to do with it. A larger blade will do anything a smaller blade will do, even if choking up is necessary. A smaller blade will not do everything a larger blade will do. This is especially true in things like food prep. I've been a knife user/Afi all of my life and I've always preferred a 4.0" blade.

I'll also add some theory/observation. I've noticed that since the Great Buck 110, and the 50 years following, the trend has been for knives to get smaller and smaller, World-wide. I believe this is partially due to the public perception that a knife can be used as a weapon, and that laws regarding the size of knives has trended downward in blade size. This is really irrational thinking caused, in my opinion, mostly by ignorance as has been shown by the 9/11 hijackers using box cutters. Most knife violence is done with kitchen knives, and like with guns, trying to make the crime go away by trying to eliminate the tool used, has not been proven to be an effective solution.

Now I see the trend in knives going back up again. I've designed many knives in my career, of all sizes. Lately, I've been designing larger knives. As mentioned, the Police 4, the stretch 2 XL and I'm also working on larger 4" versions of some of my 3.5" designs.

While I carry a 4.0" Stretch 2 XL quite often, if I am forced to defend my self with a knife, I'll grab my "Swick" first. Just some of my own thoughts to share.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Double tap. sorry.

sal