UpTern!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bjz

UpTern!!

Post by bjz »

So, the thing that caught my attention most in todays reveal was the UpTern!

I carried the Byrd tern as my only knife for years upon years and love it (had to replace it numerous time). A long time ago, Sal mentioned that it was undergoing a redesign in one of the Byrd sub-forum threads. I’m wondering if this is what he was referring to?

It’s a head scratcher for sure. Sal, if you see this, I’m wondering if you are willing (allowed) to share more about this new offering?

I really like that the upturn will have a thinner blade stock than the tern, and for whatever reason I personally prefer the esthetics of the round hole versus the Byrd hole. The fact that it’s a SS scale locker probably has me walking away in favor of a backup tern though.
JRinFL

Re: UpTern!!

Post by JRinFL »

That one caught my eye as well. It’s almost the Delica with choil some have asked for!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Very intrigued by this one. Not sure I'll jump though. Not a big fan of the SS scales to tell the truth but there's much to like about the design.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wasn't the Tern basically a UKPK?

This is a really interesting knife, not because of the knife itself, but because of the branding. Reveal 10 lists this as a Spyderco, shows it with a roundhole, yet also acknowledges the Tern as a Byrd knife.

I kind of want one - it's like the Delica I always wanted. I also am not too fond of the full stainless knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

The more I look at it the more I get Chaparral vibes from the blade. Very nice knife, quite the looker. I'm hoping this can get upgraded someday, so I'll probably buy the SS just in support of that, even though I'm not crazy about the weight.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bjz,

I'm getting ready for the Blade show. I'll be happy to share later. Maybe this weekend if I get some time.

sal
bjz

Post by bjz »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:40 pm
Hi Bjz,

I'm getting ready for the Blade show. I'll be happy to share later. Maybe this weekend if I get some time.

sal
Thank you Sir! Y’all are busy so certainly no rush…cheers.
bjz

Post by bjz »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:00 pm
Wasn't the Tern basically a UKPK?
It is certainly similar in profile/formfactor to a ukpn, but closer in size to an urban.

The Tern is one of those knives that punches way way above the sum of its parts. Frankly, this is the handle shape that all of the Byrd knives should have!

While I would personally still like to see this I’m something other than stainless scales, I’m coming around to it. Rather than a Delica with a choil, I see this as a value line caly jr. something classy that can easily be engraved for things like gifts, but come in at a more affordable price point. Sure, there are the bugs (including the DF2) but those don’t have a ton of real estate. The palm swell on the Upturn is perfect for engraving!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is certainly interesting. To me, the choil takes up cutting edge room, but the handle may be so short it needs the choil.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

I really like the design (looks like a love child of a Delica and UKPK). I would love to see a non-China version with a bit better steel. It looks super nice all-stainless, but that unfortunately has it's price - as it weights 105g - and that is a lot. Still, a great design that I hope to see more of in the future.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

The Uptern was the standout knife for me this reveal too. I'm also not really into SS handles, but a SS Cara Cara 2 has softened my opinion on them somewhat. They tend to have slimmer handles, which is nice. And the finger choil does mitigate a bit of the slickness of a metal handle.

I thought I remembered reading that all SS handled Spydercos were gonna have screw construction from now on, but the pics look like pins.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Uptern looks to me as a great contendor against the Delica.
I do not know if many of you remember but the delica used to be the most basic spyderco knife.
Then the delica 4 came out and went up the ladder to be replaced by the Tenacious as the base line.

Now it seems with the steel improvements of the tenacious spyderco is evolving again with the Upturn. And i can only good job Sal & Eric keep them coming! 😁
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Truth be told....I would be more interested in a lot of byrd models if they were "Spydercoized" like this. I just don't like the comet thumb hole at all. Something about it bothers me aesthetically.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:04 am
Truth be told....I would be more interested in a lot of byrd models if they were "Spydercoized" like this. I just don't like the comet thumb hole at all. Something about it bothers me aesthetically.
Exactly my thoughts.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

UpTern definitely shows it's ukpk/Calypso Jr roots, with a more delica-ish twist
z1r

Post by z1r »

I think it is a great idea. Lots of non-knife folk like a solid feeling knife with a reasonably stainless blade that sharpens easily. I'd probably pick one up so my Harpy has company.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The branding is definitely confusing. All of these knives are essentially made the same. It makes me wonder if the price will be higher than the standard Byrd pricing as well. Maybe it's an experiment to see if branding makes a difference in sales. And if the sales are indeed higher, will the rest of the stainless steel handle Byrds become Spydercos?
Attachments
byrd.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:41 am
The branding is definitely confusing. All of these knives are essentially made the same. It makes me wonder if the price will be higher than the standard Byrd pricing as well. Maybe it's an experiment to see if branding makes a difference in sales. And if the sales are indeed higher, will the rest of the stainless steel handle Byrds become Spydercos?

Assuming they're all the same size (I don't know if they are) I would choose the Uptern just because it has the Caly style grip instead of the points on the grip like a Delica. The thumb hole drives it home even further.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:41 am
UpTern MSRP will be $65 according to the reveal price list.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Chleiti wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:43 pm
UpTern MSRP will be $65 according to the reveal price list.

I see knifecenter is listing it at $45.50 for MAP. The SS Meadowlark is only a touch longer, and that is at $37.80. So it looks like a 20% increase in MAP for branding. It'll be interesting to see what happens.