2022 P.I.T.S Sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: 2022 P.I.T.S Sprint!

Post by ladybug93 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:12 pm
You'll kick yourself if you don't get one while they are easily available.
It's nice but not $280 nice (IMO)
i agree with you, but considering how much the blue version with n690 was when it was released, this one is probably a better value, even though it's more expensive. it's also been years since the blue one was released and everything is more expensive now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:47 pm
it's out of stock at spyderco finally. every day it was tougher not to pull the trigger.
Back in stock at Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... t-Run/2313
The temptation continues!
:beaming-face

Edit: Gone again
Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:08 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:47 pm
it's out of stock at spyderco finally. every day it was tougher not to pull the trigger.
Back in stock at Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... t-Run/2313
The temptation continues! :beaming-face
:rofl sonofa
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

So I said I wasn't really sold on this one. Well I just came back from the SFO and put this one in my hand while I was there. Now I want one. It is amazing.
z1r

Post by z1r »

troutinCO wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 am
So I said I wasn't really sold on this one. Well I just came back from the SFO and put this one in my hand while I was there. Now I want one. It is amazing.
Lol, I did the same yesterday. If I didn't really want the PE Lil Matriarch, I'd have left with a PITS. Looks big and chunky, feels light and nimble. Really nice.
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

I’ve had it in-hand and pocket for the past two days. Feels like it fills a high-end Para 3 sized knife with a super steel. Where the novelty of flicking a knife wears off and you just want something solid durable and light. The slip joint is stronger than need for anything a knife this size tackles. And the thing I appreciate the most on this knife is the Spidey hole. The same configuration with a thumb stud would just be a pain in the butt to open. However, the large Spidey hole excels at making this slip joint smooth. So in-turn the “lock up“ is very durable, along with the added strength of your grip on the bar. It feels like a high-end engineered tool. A sophisticated delivery system for the M390 steel.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It certainly is a model you need to feel in hand to get the full experience. I took a chance when I purchased my used version and was well pleased when I got it in hand. It made getting this Sprint a no brainer for me. There are few knives I would buy multiples of and fewer yet in this price range. Much praise to Mike Read and Spyderco for making this one happen, thrice!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

I got one of these, and I can say it is a very nice knife. It has very good fit and finish, and it has a special uniqueness to it which gives it a nice place in the collection. It has an initial feeling of robustness which is satisfying.

The PITS is very ergonomic, and easy to operate. Quite light as well.

It is pricey, but I think the quality is there if it is something you find interesting. Glad I picked it up.
LimpCroissant

Post by LimpCroissant »

Does anyone know about how many of these are going to be produced? Sorry if it's common knowledge, I'm new to these parts. I just skimmed 6 pages of this thread and didn't see anything though. Thanks.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

After dragging my feet and going back and forth I decided to go for it and ordered one this weekend. Got the shipment notification today. There are so many good options lately, but this is one of those knives that I know I would have regretted passing up.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I have a question for you all that have a PITS. Is the action consistent from the closed position to the open position?

The reason I ask is because mine doesn’t open with a single fluid motion. It’s pretty easy to start to open it and when you get it about a half inch or so open (see pic) it hits a wall. When you apply more pressure it overcomes that and then hits another wall when it’s not quite half way open. (Second pic)

The rest of the way it is consistent and smooth.

Just wondering if this is normal, or something that will smooth out.

First “wall”

Second (not as abrupt) “wall”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both the M390 and the N690Co PITS. Each behaves the same. They have the first “wall” you describe, but not the second.

The first is the tang’s lower notch disengaging the bolt that connects the two arms of the integral backspring. The blade “locks up” when that bolt snaps into the upper notch. After disengagement, the blade’s resistance should be continuously the same, if my samples are any indication.

As the blade goes from closed to opened, the tang and connecting bolt seem to be in contact through the full range of motion between notches.

Is some surface inhibiting another? Could be grit in washers. Work in a drop of oil. Could be a rough spot or grit on the connecting bolt’s or tang’s finish. Work in a drop of oil.

What happens?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I just checked both my original (blue) PITS and my new M390 version, and mine also have the first 'wall' but not the second.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Thank you for the info. I added a drop of oil to the tang and have been working it back and forth. It seems like the second spot has definitely lightened up/smoothed out. It wasn’t near as bad as the part right at the start.

Thank you for confirming that it’s by design. I was a bit worried something might have been wrong and I didn’t want to continually open and close the knife and cause damage while trying to smooth it out.

I was actually trying to look in at the notch in the tang to see if there were two notches, but it’s hard to tell. I have quite a few slipjoints a but have never felt one with this action before. They are generally a constant tension throughout the movement. Could this be because of the round interface, whereas most other slipjoints are squared off?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:29 pm
I was actually trying to look in at the notch in the tang to see if there were two notches, but it’s hard to tell. I have quite a few slipjoints a but have never felt one with this action before. They are generally a constant tension throughout the movement. Could this be because of the round interface, whereas most other slipjoints are squared off?
With the knife closed, you can actually see both notches. One is what the connecting bolt sits in to keep the blade closed. The other is the thing in the blade between the Spydiehole and the pivot that looks like (but isn’t) a bottle-opener.

What makes the PITS special to me is that it really is a new take on making non-locking folders safer.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Some have trickled in stock this week in Europe, mostly around the 370€ mark, some as high as 399, one is still out of stock for 350.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Been working the action quite a bit today and it has gotten quite a bit smoother. The first “wall” is not near as abrupt or hard to overcome anymore. I’m so glad I jumped on this before they ran out.

I love the blade shape. Love the finish.

I feel like with the holes in the scales it was a perfect complement for the Spyderco brand. Lots of Spydie holes.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The bar that ride on the blade does need to be lubricated while in the break in period, otherwise you get that dry, metal on metal galling.

I also noticed that the blue model has noticeably thicker blade stock. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts in the smoothness of opening. My older blue model is smoother with a lighter action. Could be due to more opening cycles or to the stock thickness, or to something else entirely. Just an observation.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:13 am
The bar that ride on the blade does need to be lubricated while in the break in period, otherwise you get that dry, metal on metal galling.

I also noticed that the blue model has noticeably thicker blade stock. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts in the smoothness of opening. My older blue model is smoother with a lighter action. Could be due to more opening cycles or to the stock thickness, or to something else entirely. Just an observation.
Thanks for the tip.

Not sure what the thickness was on the old ones, but I am very happy with this m390 run. I think they nailed it.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:08 pm
I have a question for you all that have a PITS. Is the action consistent from the closed position to the open position?

The reason I ask is because mine doesn’t open with a single fluid motion. It’s pretty easy to start to open it and when you get it about a half inch or so open (see pic) it hits a wall. When you apply more pressure it overcomes that and then hits another wall when it’s not quite half way open. (Second pic)

The rest of the way it is consistent and smooth.

Just wondering if this is normal, or something that will smooth out.

First “wall”

Second (not as abrupt) “wall”

I only have the first "wall" after I disassembled, cleaned and (fluorinated CRK) greased the pivot area. The first "wall" won't go away, it is the shape of the tang.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10