H-2 vs. H-1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

H-2 vs. H-1

Post by RamZar »

The May 2022 issue of Spyderco Byte includes upgrade of H-1 to H-2 stainless steel.
Due to dynamic changes in the Japanese steel industry, H-1 will no longer be produced. Current inventory of the steel is being rapidly exhausted, as are current supplies of Salt Series knives featuring this steel. As inventory of those models is depleted, they will be replaced with identical models proudly featuring H-2 steel. And not surprisingly, the leader of that charge will be the venerable, time-tested Pacific Salt 2.

Since its introduction in 2003, Spyderco’s best-selling Salt® Series has set the standard in ultra-corrosion-resistant cutting tools. The key component of that series was H-1, a remarkable blade material that offers an exceptional balance of cutting performance and extreme corrosion resistance. Although H-1 was later joined by other steels that are also incredibly resistant to rust, it remained the primary blade material of our Salt Series—until now.

It is no secret that the COVID-19 pandemic has had far-reaching impact on all aspects of the world’s industry and economy. As the third largest steel producer in the world, Japan has been particularly hard hit and has been forced to restructure its steel industry. One of the consequences of this change is that H-1 will no longer be produced. Where there is challenge, however, there is also opportunity. Through close cooperation with our manufacturing partners in Japan, Spyderco has helped drive the development of a new ultra-corrosion-resistant steel, appropriately named H-2.

In simple terms, H-2 takes the time-tested alloy composition and manufacturing processes of H-1 and refines them even further. The result is a steel that retains all the extraordinary qualities of the original, while being readily manufacturable.

Like H-1, H-2 is an austenitic steel that does not go through the traditional hardening and tempering processes of traditional martensitic steels. Instead, its austenite structure is transformed to hard martensite through intense rolling and cold-working processes. H-2’s finely tuned alloy composition rebalances all the original elements of H-1 and also adds a small amount of copper. The result is a steel that faithfully delivers the impressive strength and toughness of its predecessor while actually enhancing its extreme corrosion resistance—especially for use in saltwater environments.

To better understand the rebalancing of H-2’s alloy recipe, here is an element-by-element summary of the calculated changes made and their desired effects on the steel’s performance:

• Carbon - reduced from 0.15 to 0.09 percent: Carbon in steel promotes the formation of carbides and increases the steel’s vulnerability to corrosion. Reducing the amount of carbon in H-2 further reduces this risk and therefore helps enhance its corrosion resistance.
  • Chromium – reduced from 14.00-16.00 to 13.73 percent: Chromium in solution in a steel increases its corrosion resistance by allowing it to form a protective chromium oxide layer on the surface. The slight reduction of chromium was possible due to the reduction in carbon, but still ensures a high amount of chromium in solution.
  • Copper – 0.17 percent added: The addition of copper in austenitic steel enhances its precipitation hardening properties and increases its corrosion resistance, especially in seawater environments and against exposure to sulfuric acid.
  • Manganese – reduced from 2.00 to 0.32 percent: Manganese improves the hot-working properties of steel and increases its strength, toughness and hardenability. Like nickel, it is also an austenite-forming element. The reduction in manganese is largely balanced by H-2’s increase in nickel and its substantial increase in molybdenum.
  • Molybdenum – increased from 0.50-1.50 to 2.24 percent: Molybdenum increases a steel’s strength, hardness, hardenability, and toughness. It also improves its machinability and resistance to corrosion. When added to chromium-nickel austenitic steels, molybdenum improves resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion, particularly in chlorides and environments containing sulfur—like seawater.
  • Nickel – increased from 6.00-8.00 to 8.25 percent: Nickel’s ability to form austenite gives austenitic steels great toughness and strength. It also greatly improves resistance to oxidation and corrosion.
  • Nitrogen – reduced from 0.10 to 0.06 percent: Like nickel, nitrogen is an austenite-forming element. It increases the austenite stability of stainless steel, improves its yield strength, and enhances its resistance to pitting corrosion. The adjustment to H-2’s nitrogen content is balanced by its increase in nickel content.
  • Phosphorous – reduced from 0.04 to 0.027 percent: Phosphorus improves machinability and increases the strength of austenitic steels; however, it can also have a detrimental effect on corrosion resistance. Reducing H-2’s phosphorous content helps enhance its corrosion-resistant qualities.
  • Silicon – reduced from 3.00-4.50 to 2.63 percent: Silicon is the most common alloying element in steel. It helps purify the iron ore during the smelting process by deoxidizing it and removing impurities. The fine-tuning of the volume of this element is based on the needs of the smelting process.
  • Sulfur – reduced from 0.03 to 0.001 percent: Small amounts of sulfur improve a steel’s machinability; however, like phosphorous, it is detrimental to corrosion resistance. Reducing H-2’s sulfur content further contributes to its corrosion-resistant properties.
All the active models in Spyderco’s Salt Series that previously featured H-1 blades are currently being transitioned to H-2. The availability of specific models with H-2 blades will depend upon the exhaustion of current H-1 stock.

Spyderco is extremely excited to launch our H-2 Salt Series knives. Based on our extensive in-house testing, we are supremely confident that this remarkable new material will continue to provide our customers with an exceptional balance of Reliable High Performance™ and fearless corrosion resistance.

Last edited by RamZar on Tue May 31, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Evil D

Re: H2 vs. H1

Post by Evil D »

I literally had to check the date to see if it was April 1st. Never thought I'd see the day. I guess my first question would be, why is H1 not being/not able to be produced anymore, yet an entirely new recipe steel can be? What hard times prevent one steel but allow a new steel? Component availability or something?

I guess now I know why I can't get my hands on an Autonomy 1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would guess it is a capacity issue. They can produce H1 OR H2, not both. I suspect they will be very close in performance with the edge in corrosion resistance going to H2.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I wonder if H2 can be made in FFG unlike H1.

It says H2 has better "extreme corrosion resistance" than H1.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
phaust

Post by phaust »

RamZar wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm

Doesn't sound like it differs in that respect. From the Byte:

Like H-1, H-2 is an austenitic steel that does not go through the traditional hardening and tempering processes of traditional martensitic steels. Instead, its austenite structure is transformed to hard martensite through intense rolling and cold-working processes.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Not going to lie, even if H2 is an improvement, this really makes me want to stock up on H1 knives.
-Nick :bug-red
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:35 pm
I literally had to check the date to see if it was April 1st. Never thought I'd see the day. I guess my first question would be, why is H1 not being/not able to be produced anymore, yet an entirely new recipe steel can be? What hard times prevent one steel but allow a new steel? Component availability or something?

Presumably a different manufacturer.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Why would anyone want even more corossion resistence and complicate the data sheet in the process ?! It must be something they won’t reveal(talking of Reveal 10). Maybe this “wonder” H2 has a better edge retention in plain edge … which I doubt looking at the new data.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

elena86 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:59 pm
Why would anyone want even more corossion resistence and complicate the data sheet in the process ?! It must be something they won’t reveal(talking of Reveal 10). Maybe this “wonder” H2 has a better edge retention in plain edge … which I doubt looking at the new data.
I thought it odd that it doesn't mention edge retention of H2.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

phaust wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:47 pm
RamZar wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm

Doesn't sound like it differs in that respect. From the Byte:

Like H-1, H-2 is an austenitic steel that does not go through the traditional hardening and tempering processes of traditional martensitic steels. Instead, its austenite structure is transformed to hard martensite through intense rolling and cold-working processes.

The picture also has H-2 with the Hollow Grind of the old H-1.
metaphoricalsimile

Re: H-2 vs. H-1

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Considering the corrosion resistance of H-1 was already far better than almost any knife user actually needed, and improvement in corrosion resistance feels like a non-upgrade, especially if other properties that make a useful blade steel are worsened.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

They just Built Back Better H-1...that is all
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Larrin wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:52 pm
Evil D wrote:

Presumably a different manufacturer.
Ya, that's how I read it. The original manufacturer will no longer produce it, so Spyderco is having it produced by another manufacturer, and decided to improve it while they were at it.

Kind of exciting.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

So I guess we are looking at more rustproof than rustproof. I wonder what other slight differences there will be. I love H1, but certainly will keep an open mind.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

From the sound of it, the motivation really wasn't to increase performance. It seems to me like they needed something that was simpler/cheaper to produce and H2 is it. Or I guess if the original manufacturer isn't making H1 that makes sense. If it can still perform similar to H1 then I'm fine with it but...
steelcity16 wrote:They just Built Back Better H-1...that is all

Yeah, pretty much that. ^^^
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I don't think "rustproof" stainless steels exist but there are some highly "corrosion resistant" steels. I guess there's a point at which a stainless steel becomes "practically rustproof". Just like there are dive watches that are water-resistant even to ridiculous depths of 1000+ meters and so "practically waterproof" in most cases.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Evil D wrote:
I literally had to check the date to see if it was April 1st.
Reminds me of ".... is this an out of season April fool's joke?"

I dunno how to feel about this, and I'm not steel-smart enough to comment. Seems like a sad day, H-1 doesn't deserve to die like this. Just received some more H-1 in the mail yesterday (DF Salt PE) and this makes me want to turn around and order even more :grin-sweat

Guess Covid claims one more :cussing
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

why not just go all the way and make it h11?

seriously though... i'm intrigued, but skeptical. i really like h1 for se and i can't imagine it not being around anymore or even improved upon for reasons i like it. are we going to see better edge retention? are we going to see the same kind of amazing toughness? will the corrosion resistance stay the same? h1 is seriously a wonder.
Mushroom wrote: Not going to lie, even if H2 is an improvement, this really makes me want to stock up on H1 knives.
yep.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

H1 has been my favorite steel, so...
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Reducing carbon and nitrogen by more than 1/3 will probably do nothing good for edge retention. Increased corrosion resistance over H-1 is basically useless unless you're cutting car batteries. Better get your H-1 while you still can.