H-2 vs. H-1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Re: H-2 vs. H-1

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

It's a slicing cut with significant pushing as well:

https://youtu.be/E40Y8MheAu0
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I believe CATRA is a slicing test of silicone abrasive card stock under a specific pressure/weight.

But looking at that particular chart I see comparisons of 800grit and 500grit. On the 50 inclusive 9000grit vs 800 vs 500grit. And while it does show the higher grit doing a little better, it doesn't show the extreme low grit.

But on the 20 inclusive with the 200 grit edge, which is most comparable to what we are using.... there is no other higher grit data to compare it to.

It is also worth noting that the 20 inclusive 200 grit edge has the highest score on that chart with over 1k cards cut. Though edge angle no doubt contributed to that.

CATRA is a very specific test against high abrasion material too. Real world performance may differ greatly. So far my experience has been similar to Vivi's but I'm only a month in to playing around with the coarse edge pac salt.
I've actually ordered a second Pac Salt I plan to mirror finish at .1 Micron and 12DPS for a more direct comparison.

I'd say to those curious about it. Buy a Pac Salt and slap a 200 grit 12DPS or 10DPS edge on it and see what all the fuss is about. I'm not giving up my polished edges, but I feel like I've gained another tool in the tool box with that edge finish.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:40 pm
It's a slicing cut with significant pushing as well:

https://youtu.be/E40Y8MheAu0
thanks for the correction.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:24 pm
I believe CATRA is a slicing test of silicone abrasive card stock under a specific pressure/weight.

But looking at that particular chart I see comparisons of 800grit and 500grit. On the 50 inclusive 9000grit vs 800 vs 500grit. And while it does show the higher grit doing a little better, it doesn't show the extreme low grit.

But on the 20 inclusive with the 200 grit edge, which is most comparable to what we are using.... there is no other higher grit data to compare it to.

It is also worth noting that the 20 inclusive 200 grit edge has the highest score on that chart with over 1k cards cut. Though edge angle no doubt contributed to that.

CATRA is a very specific test against high abrasion material too. Real world performance may differ greatly. So far my experience has been similar to Vivi's but I'm only a month in to playing around with the coarse edge pac salt.
I've actually ordered a second Pac Salt I plan to mirror finish at .1 Micron and 12DPS for a more direct comparison.

I'd say to those curious about it. Buy a Pac Salt and slap a 200 grit 12DPS or 10DPS edge on it and see what all the fuss is about. I'm not giving up my polished edges, but I feel like I've gained another tool in the tool box with that edge finish.
Yep. It's like having PE and SE instead of just PE knives. Can you get by with just PE polished edges? Probably. But coarse PE knives, or SE knives, make certain jobs a lot easier.

Do you plan to try any controlled testing with the two Pacific Salts? I might try to run a test like that. Two of the PE H1 Pacifics reprofiled to a similar angle, one at 200 grit and the other at a full polish. Then see how many times they can each slice poly rope.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:48 pm
Do you plan to try any controlled testing with the two Pacific Salts? I might try to run a test like that. Two of the PE H1 Pacifics reprofiled to a similar angle, one at 200 grit and the other at a full polish. Then see how many times they can each slice poly rope.
I might try something scientific. Rope or cardboard cutting maybe. Though my efforts are hampered a little by not being able to accurately BESS test the coarse edge.

I'm more interested in seeing how they compare head to head in my edc tasks like cutting thin plastic and cardboard. See how they do over the course of a few weeks. I don't know how interesting the forum will find that, being so subjective, but I'm interested to see how they 'feel' in use.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 am
I feel like a soft touch is a necessity for all fluffers... ;)
Yeah........ Probably a term worth googling before proudly claiming affiliation.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:45 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 am
I feel like a soft touch is a necessity for all fluffers... ;)
Yeah........ Probably a term worth googling before proudly claiming affiliation.
vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:57 am
fluffers with a light touch get the best edges :)
Who says we weren't aware? :rofl
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

🤣 This thread got off topic in the best of ways.

I hope Sal chimes in. I think this was a no choice kinda move. I think the fact that there will be an H2 and not just an absence of H1 is a testament to Sal's dedication to this class of corrosion resistant steel.

I don't have any H1 but want a HG Pac Salt. I may just wait for H2. It is good to keep in mind these are super steels. Not top in class for edge retention, but in corrosion resistance and toughness they are in a league of their own.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I had to hold off from replying to vivi earlier but...

Fluffing and edging do go hand in hand! 🤣
So it goes.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Airlsee, that's awefull but hilarious.
vivi

Post by vivi »

the first rule of fluffer club :shush
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:57 pm
I may start a run on H1 knives by posting this, but it is my calculation that if H1 isn't going to be produced anymore, that any knife made of H1 is going to have huge collector value down the road. I mean, essentially once they run out of the steel, it Will. Not. Exist!!! On any future knives anyway. At that point H1 kinda becomes gold. Seems like just a good investment.

If H2 is a reasonably close H1 equivalent, then I only see hardcore completionist collectors and/or people who absolutely rely on corrosion-proof knives for their livelihoods as buyers of H1 Salts at elevated prices.

In short, I think we'll all get over this in time, just like we did when the N5 went from S35VN back to S30V.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I highly doubt that H1 will ever have much if any collector value. Knives made of H1 have been made for nearly two decades now, and there’s LOTS of them out there. For the most part, knives are not a great investment, if one is planning on becoming financially secure by selling them off in the future.

And what if H2 actually turns out to be BETTER than H1?

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Also possible is that H2 will be "better", or preferred in the community. I'm not assuming that, but if it happens, H1 knives wouldn't appreciate in value.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

True enough points. I guess the only people that might be willing to pay much more are collectors who value it, or if H2 is significantly worse performance than H1, which I am doubting.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm not betting it will perform significantly better either though. I am just hoping it isn't much different, performance wise. We'll see. Being honest, if the differences are just marginal, very few people would actually notice.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:07 pm
I highly doubt that H1 will ever have much if any collector value. Knives made of H1 have been made for nearly two decades now, and there’s LOTS of them out there. For the most part, knives are not a great investment, if one is planning on becoming financially secure by selling them off in the future.

And what if H2 actually turns out to be BETTER than H1?

Jim
I think there's probably going to be some interest for mint examples, like there was for a little while after the PE Atlantic Salt was discontinued. But otherwise, definitely agree, H1 knives will be like the E3/D3 and older Rescues. Sometimes sell for surprising amounts but not close or a premium over new production H2 models.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:49 pm
sethwm wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:31 pm
Anyone have a link to vivis thread on h1 sharpening?
viewtopic.php?t=90089 - pacific salt thread

viewtopic.php?t=85096 - low grit sharpening thread

tldr - 10dps 300 grit edge cuts at least 4x longer than a factory edge when slicing rope and cardboard.
Ok I gave it a try on my ladybug as best I could. I don't think I quite got to 10 dps. Cut the crap out of my thumb in the process, too. You can also see I didn't quite do so well on the heel or tip. Amateur sharpener here.

Let's see how it goes!

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 pm
🤣 This thread got off topic in the best of ways.

I hope Sal chimes in. I think this was a no choice kinda move. I think the fact that there will be an H2 and not just an absence of H1 is a testament to Sal's dedication to this class of corrosion resistant steel.

I don't have any H1 but want a HG Pac Salt. I may just wait for H2. It is good to keep in mind these are super steels. Not top in class for edge retention, but in corrosion resistance and toughness they are in a league of their own.
Agree with you Jeff and I also look forward to Sal chiming in for a run down on H2 steel . I look at it like this , if Spyderco went to the trouble to come up with another steel of this type I will not regret giving H2 an honest try . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

warms my heart rightfully seeing someone call H1 a super steel.
sethwm wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:13 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:49 pm
sethwm wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:31 pm
Anyone have a link to vivis thread on h1 sharpening?
viewtopic.php?t=90089 - pacific salt thread

viewtopic.php?t=85096 - low grit sharpening thread

tldr - 10dps 300 grit edge cuts at least 4x longer than a factory edge when slicing rope and cardboard.
Ok I gave it a try on my ladybug as best I could. I don't think I quite got to 10 dps. Cut the crap out of my thumb in the process, too. You can also see I didn't quite do so well on the heel or tip. Amateur sharpener here.

Let's see how it goes!

Hey I've done much worse than that! Bet that'll chew up cardboard now.