H-2 vs. H-1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: H-2 vs. H-1

Post by vivi »

Netherend wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:32 pm
The whole end of H1 thing is really making me want to pick up an Aqua Salt while I still can
it's a very slept on model. I've been using one for 10+ years and it's a great do it all fixed blade. Aqua Salt + a folding saw is a really light backpacking combo I've used on numerous trips.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Netherend wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:32 pm
The whole end of H1 thing is really making me want to pick up an Aqua Salt while I still can
Its s great knife. I almost just bought a backup but I havent used mine in a long time and I dont need another. Ill just have to be sure not to lose the one I have.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The reveal was a big surprise when I read it. I’d love to know the backstory behind this change. Is H-2 being made by the same maker who made H-1? Is the performance substantially different? Was the change in formulation mostly for desired properties, or was it mostly necessary for legal reasons?

Once our loyal aficionados get ahold of the new steel, data on performance will follow.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The Jumpmaster 2 is fantastic also, and I've been thinking about a Fish Hunter.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

The Aqua Salts seem readily available right now. We'll see how much longer that lasts with the H1 panic that may ensue.
sal

Post by sal »

Quite the thread. I'm getting ready for the Blade show. I'll try to join in on the conversation this weekend.

sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:37 pm
Quite the thread. I'm getting ready for the Blade show. I'll try to join in on the conversation this weekend.

sal
Just the comment I’ve been waiting for. All these other comments have been written without any steel being in hand and I know sal’s already done some testing!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There is another, similar thread. We await your wisdom, sal.
R100

Post by R100 »

I like both H1 and LC200N and the biggest difference for me is HG vs FFG. It is worth noting that LC200N is not just a tough stainless but, according to Larrin, is tougher than any tool steel used by Spyderco other than 3V. H1 is known as being tougher than LC200N and I have seen this in my own use with SE. THIS MAKES H1 THE TOUGHEST STEEL SPYDERCO HAS EVER USED. Edge stability is another thing of course but H1, and now H2, definitely have their place in the Spyderco lineup.

Dan
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have seven H1 Spydies at the moment, with more planned in the future. I hope H2 is comparable, although different.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:54 am
I'll be comparing the two ASAP with my typical sharpening style.
Off topic for this thread but still enjoying my Pac Salt sharpened 'vivi style'. The consistency and longevity of the coarse edge is nice.

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 pm
I have seven H1 Spydies at the moment, with more planned in the future. I hope H2 is comparable, although different.
Right there with you, 7 or 8 H-1 spydies. I have more of that steel than any other. Really glad Spyderco is trying to replace it now that it's no longer available.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:13 pm
There is another, similar thread. We await your wisdom, sal.

It would be nice if Kristi or someone could merge these threads so all the comments pertaining to the same topic are consolidated. That Spyderbyte came out and it definitely hit a nerve and then the next day the reveal hit so it snowballed quick.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

cjk wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:08 am
Do the H1 fans have anything against LC200N? It seems like a vast improvement over H1 to me. I was thinking that demand for H1 would eventually taper off and die out. I am surprised that it's getting a replacement at all.
Not at all (not that I would be some kind of hard core H1 fan, not really), but I don't want to lose the hollow grind that has really proved itself recently on my Pacific Salt 2. And Spyderco makes only very few models with this grind. I am not claiming superiority of one over another, but really like to have the option.

At the same time - if I look at Native 5 - if I can get Magnacut for the same price as LC200N, then I have little desire for the LC200N.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:05 am
cjk wrote:
Do the H1 fans have anything against LC200N? It seems like a vast improvement over H1 to me. I was thinking that demand for H1 would eventually taper off and die out. I am surprised that it's getting a replacement at all.
Not at all (not that I would be some kind of hard core H1 fan, not really), but I don't want to lose the hollow grind that has really proved itself recently on my Pacific Salt 2. And Spyderco makes only very few models with this grind. I am not claiming superiority of one over another, but really like to have the option.

At the same time - if I look at Native 5 - if I can get Magnacut for the same price as LC200N, then I have little desire for the LC200N.
THIS.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:20 am
Matus wrote:
cjk wrote:

THIS.
Time marches on lots of great new steels that are high corrosion resistant, H1 is decent as a serrated, but is obsolete in plain edge and has been for decades! Out of sight out of mind
Except for the fluffers of H1 who will ride that donkey till it dead and turns into dirt :yawn
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:20 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Matus wrote:
cjk wrote:

THIS.
Time marches on lots of great new steels that are high corrosion resistant, H1 is decent as a serrated, but is obsolete in plain edge and has been for decades! Out of sight out of mind
Except for the fluffers of H1 who will ride that donkey till it dead and turns into dirt :yawn
always cracks me up how much it rustles some peoples jimmies if someone prioritises blade steel properties other than edge holding first. :rofl

can you recommend me a good pocket knife that's rust proof, run in an extremely tough blade steel, weighs under 3.5oz, is ergonomic for XL-XXL hands, costs less than $120, and sharpens as easily as a swiss army knife? let me know and I'll get rid of my obsolete H1 folders :smirk
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:56 am
S-3 ranch wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:20 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Matus wrote:

THIS.
always cracks me up how much it rustles some peoples jimmies if someone prioritises blade steel properties other than edge holding first. :rofl

can you recommend me a good pocket knife that's rust proof, run in an extremely tough blade steel, weighs under 3.5oz, is ergonomic for XL-XXL hands, costs less than $120, and sharpens as easily as a swiss army knife? let me know and I'll get rid of my obsolete H1 folders :smirk
Oh, Vivi. Stop being a fluffer, whatever that is.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Well, one thing is without question...H1 sure has a lot of strong opinions about it one way or the other. I personally like it. It's not my all-time favorite steel (at this point, I'm not sure what is), but it's certainly on my list of favorites. If H2 can even improve on it in some ways, without losing any positives, I'm all for it. If some aren't interested, or even hate H1 or the idea of H2 continuing on from it, there are plenty of other steels to choose from.

Jim
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Fluffer here! Funny enough, I woke up today with a desire to dull and sharpen my PE H1. I went through all the (already cut) cardboard I had sitting in a shopping bag, over and over, cutting it again and again, and waddaya know, I gave up before the H1 did. I huffed, limply threw up my arms, and touched it up anyway. It's really cool what this stuff does with coarse, and I don't even have the ability to go more coarse than a Medium corner atm - I'm unfortunately super guilty of buying more knives when I need to be purchasing and getting familiar with the CBN and diamond rods.

I know I don't post much, I'm more of a "shut up and listen" type of person (or I try), but as a general statement I just want to let it be known that I enjoy everyone's sharpening tips, theories, ideas, experiments, and assure y'all that there are people watching from the bleachers just looking to improve. Sorry for the slight off-topic!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m not done with H1 by a long shot. I hope H2 is a suitable replacement. I confess, I am tempted by PE H1… ease of maintenance counts for something. If I were stranded on a desert island, a Pac salt and doublestuff original would be fantastic and last longer than any other steel with no means to sharpen it.