Custom clip for the Swayback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Custom clip for the Swayback

Post by Ramonade »

Hello everyone.

For around a month, I've acquirred the Spyderco Swayback. I've tested a number of Ti RILs from Spyderco but this one is just marvelous !
I've carried and used it approx. a dozen time. It's my second highly classy knife, so it won't be a daily carry, like the fluted cf N5. The grind is excellent and the action became insanely smooth after some openings and closings.

I've seen smooth washer knives (I don't like bearings very much anyways), but this one takes the cake. It's complety rock solid, the pivot is pretty tight and yet, the blade just glides open and close like if it was on glass !

However, I don't care much for this clip. With my hands, it hits a spot of my hand that make the knife less pleasant to hold and use. I've researched the forum for older threads, and found a post by RadioactiveSpyder mentionning "Razor Edge Knives".
Apparently they propose a milled clip that could fit the Swayback very nicely with a bit of work under the clip.

Now that the Swayback is a bit older, is there other options than this clip for this excellent knife ? I'm grateful for any answer, even negative ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Airlsee

Re: Custom clip for the Swayback

Post by Airlsee »

I'm a fan of the deep carry MXG clip on the Swayback. I considered the REK milled clip and contacted Josh about having it adapted for the Swayback's contoured handles, but in the end opted for the deeper carry option.

So it goes.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The REK clip seems to have a very close finish to the Ti on the Swayback.
But seeing the MxG clip you have an excellent match too ! I might be mistaken by the picture, but seems like it is very close to it.
Funny thing is that I have the same native chief as you, and the clip does not bother me one bit on it.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The REK clip, at least the one I have, wont let you get all 3 screws on. Its because of the contoured handle.

I know someone on here has done it but I think you have to reshape the clip with a sanding wheel???
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I also have the MXG clip on my Swayback. It's a nearly perfect match that will eventually become perfect with a little wear. It doesn't overhang the handle, instead reaching exactly to the end, a feature I particularly appreciate!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Coastal wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:11 pm
I also have the MXG clip on my Swayback. It's a nearly perfect match that will eventually become perfect with a little wear. It doesn't overhang the handle, instead reaching exactly to the end, a feature I particularly appreciate!
Does MXG proposes different finishes like LynchNW ? if yes, wich one did you pick?
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:56 pm
The REK clip, at least the one I have, wont let you get all 3 screws on. Its because of the contoured handle.

I know someone on here has done it but I think you have to reshape the clip with a sanding wheel???
Yeah, RadioactiveSpyder apprently directly contacted the owner of REK to ask him to modify it and install it on his swayback. I have a belt grinder and drill press and a lot of different types and shapes of abrasives, might be something I could do myself. Sending the Swayback to the USA back and forth is definitely not secure or worth it.

------------------------

I think I'm gonna try an MXG clip first, since they can work for other knives I own too ! And I might find a european dealer that carries MXG clips like the one Coastal and AirIsee use.

Thanks to all of you for replying, it'll enhance my Swayback experience for sure !

Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I took the Ti clip off my Caribbean to get past the aesthetics of the shiny clip that came with the Swayback.
It doesn't solve the hot spot issue you mention though.
For a $315 knife, Spyderco dropped the ball on the clip, for sure.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pm
Coastal wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:11 pm
Does MXG proposes different finishes like LynchNW ? if yes, wich one did you pick?
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Yeah, RadioactiveSpyder apprently directly contacted the owner of REK to ask him to modify it and install it on his swayback. I have a belt grinder and drill press and a lot of different types and shapes of abrasives, might be something I could do myself. Sending the Swayback to the USA back and forth is definitely not secure or worth it.

------------------------

I think I'm gonna try an MXG clip first, since they can work for other knives I own too ! And I might find a european dealer that carries MXG clips like the one Coastal and AirIsee use.

Thanks to all of you for replying, it'll enhance my Swayback experience for sure !
Ramonade, MXG offers 4 finishes. The one matching the Swayback is “plain.”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I also put an MXG clip on my Swayback, but I picked their non-deep carry model. Luckily, the hole pattern for the Swayback clip is the same as that used in most Taichung Spydies like the Domino.
swayback mxg.jpg
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Josh at REK is quite familiar now with the contouring that needs to happen to the underside of his clips so they fit the Swayback properly, without the need to send your knife in as well. You can buy one of his clips and send it to him to modify, or he may be able to sell you a modified one directly. He’s very responsive to emails, IG DMs, and on BladeForums. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks for all the answers.
I checked to get the non-deep carry clip at MXG, but shipping cost 45€. I can't pay 70€ to get that clip (without including the obligatory customs fees) !

I think I'm gonna shoot an e-mail to REK, just to see if he can adapt it without having to send my Swayback across the ocean (wich would be crazy expensive btw). Otherwise, I'll do the fitting myself. I think I have more than enough tooling to handle that.

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:51 am
I think I'm gonna shoot an e-mail to REK, just to see if he can adapt it without having to send my Swayback across the ocean (wich would be crazy expensive btw). Otherwise, I'll do the fitting myself. I think I have more than enough tooling to handle that.
Please post whether or not REK will sell one of his clips already modified. Even though I'm satisfied with the MXG clip, I feel the REK suits the Swayback better, and the MXG will fit any number of other knives, so no loss.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Coastal wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:54 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:51 am
Please post whether or not REK will sell one of his clips already modified. Even though I'm satisfied with the MXG clip, I feel the REK suits the Swayback better, and the MXG will fit any number of other knives, so no loss.
No worries, I've sent the message today and I'll keep you posted. I've kinda canceled the MXG idea because shipping the clip would cost $45. That would bring this to a total of ~$70 without the customs fees.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Coastal wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:54 am
Well, It's almost impossible to find an MXG gear outside of the website, and I mentionned the price it'd cost.

Josh at REK knives answered me that he can radius the clip for the Swayback, but that the holes aren't a perfect fit. The clip does fit the knife anyways because the holes are a bit bigger than the screws, allowing the screws to go through anyways.
however, Josh won't ship outside of the US territory, so you need a friend or forwarding service to do so.
I'm gonna ask a dear member of the M.N.O.S.D. to help me with that inquiry !

I'm gonna wait a bit though before asking for help with shipping, because I just took the clip from the Chokwe today and it fits perfectly. Only thing that is annoying is that I don't have a replacement for the Chokwe's clip. Here's a pic :

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:53 am

Josh at REK knives answered me that he can radius the clip for the Swayback, but that the holes aren't a perfect fit. The clip does fit the knife anyways because the holes are a bit bigger than the screws, allowing the screws to go through anyways.
Thanks for the update. I'm not as wild about the REK clips now that I know they match the Benchmade hole pattern and cost $65, even in the U.S. So I guess I'll stick with the MXG clip. It's fine, just not as elegant as the REK.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Sorry for the bump. I've found a place to buy a milled Ti clip. This one is compatible with emerson and benchmade 3 holes pattern.
Would that fit the Swayback ? I do not own any Emerson or Benchmade (did buy a spydie-hole Grip, but sent it back).

cjk

Post by cjk »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:23 am
Sorry for the bump. I've found a place to buy a milled Ti clip. This one is compatible with emerson and benchmade 3 holes pattern.
Would that fit the Swayback ? I do not own any Emerson or Benchmade (did buy a spydie-hole Grip, but sent it back).
It would not fit the swayback. Not close enough to try modifying it either.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Even though the OEM Spyderco clips work well, and look good on most Spyderco knives, a few models just scream for a more elegant clip. Not necessarily a deep-carry clip, just a nicer one. The Swayback is high on that list! Sorry you're having so much trouble finding one.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

cjk wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:47 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:23 am
It would not fit the swayback. Not close enough to try modifying it either.
Thanks, I think I knew it already but did not want to face the truth :') . I'll get a good clip for it one day... Or the day I finally surrender and buy an exclusive Spyderco, I'll add a clip to that if the parcel needs to be forwarded to a friend in the States.

Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I just stonewashed the original clip and it looks great with the scales. Apurvis makes a beautiful titanium timascus clip, but it costs $155.00.