What Makes A Knife Collector

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

What Makes A Knife Collector

Post by Scandi Grind »

This is a philosophical question for all of us of the great knife community.

What makes someone a knife collector?

This is a simple question that is of little relevance, but for those of us who consider ourselves knife lovers and nerds, the question begs to be answered, when do we become knife collectors and not merely knife users? When do we cross over the unspoken line? When somebody has a lot of knives they are usually considered a "collector," but if it is a number, then how much? I once heard someone say more than 20 makes you a collector. Hmmm, maybe. If that were the case, I definitely am not a collector, but my older brother told me somewhat jokingly that it is the heart of the one who owns the knives that makes him a collector, not the number he owns. Perhaps he was right though. Sounds pretty convincing to me. Then it occurred to me just this morning as I browsed traditional Japanese friction folders and thought how much I wanted to buy one, that if I did it would be the first knife I had ever bought that I did not have an actual practical purpose that I needed it to fulfill. Is this the moment that I become a "collector"? :thinking

What is your definition?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Toucan

Re: What Makes A Knife Collector

Post by Toucan »

Probably any number greater than 1. At a certain point one probably becomes a collector by sheer quantity, but well before then anyone can be a collector by owning some quantity of a thing and appreciating them for their unique qualities.

If Person A owns two rusty old commuter cars because they were cheap on craigslist, and their family needed a couple of cars. Person A doesn't know or care what makes them special compared to the thousands of car models that have existed, they just own cheap means of transportation. Person A is not a collector, and they don't really have a collection.

If Person B owns those same two cars, but specifically sought them out because one is, for example, a Honda Prelude with mechanical 4 wheel steering, and the other is a Mercedes W123 with a turbocharged straight-5 diesel engine. Then sure, they are a collector. They collect the mundane yet quirky cars of a bygone era.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

That’s a great question that should have many answers . Years ago I had only four knives: 2 Randall’s , Buck 110 , and a West German Paratrooper gravity knife . I met a guy who was a dealer at work though the nature of my job and became very good friends . So my interest expanded immensely to where I am today . Most of my knives get carry time and use as needed or simply want something different in pocket . Yeah , I like knives, but the greatest benefit is knowing so many great people here on the Forum . That’s the greatest reward for me . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Someone who sees their knife assortment as a collection.

I know that sounds sarcastic, but I think of it like this...I have a garage full of tools, but I've never thought about all of my tools as "a collection of tools". I'm not buying tools to complete a set, I don't see a new tool come out and think to myself that I need it to "complete my collection", a tool is a tool and I either need it for a task or I don't need it.

A collector values things for more than their basic use. A collector can value simply having and holding and admiring an item and never put it to it's intended use. A collector also probably values things that are in mint condition more so than a user would.

Of course there's lots of gray area between the two and I think most of us probably fit somewhere in the middle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

As far as the "number" goes...

Then this is somewhat a variation of Sorites Paradox or, the problem of the heap.

(For whatever reason my phone wont let me post a link.)
Last edited by VooDooChild on Fri May 27, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Someone who sees their knife assortment as a collection.
For me, D's answer is the answer.

There's so much gray area one might want to debate here. How many? What did they cost? Are they custom or mass produced? Are the knives themselves considered to be "collectable" by the knife community in general?

If you buy them to collect them for any reason I'd call you a collector. Even if you use all of them.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Yep, I think I can agree for sure with Evil D and Xplorer here, and by that measure I am indeed a knife collector! And for me, even if my Mora happens to be the cheapest knife I own, it is still a much appreciated piece of my collection. :smiling-cheeks

-- Old Norse proverb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I find the whole user vs collector conflict to be kind of silly. I mostly find it weird that being a “collector” carries some negative connotation these days. As if collectors don’t use their knives and being a knife “user” is being part of some elite club.

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but your “accumulation” of user knives is actually a collection. You’re a collector too! :party-face

I don’t know exactly what makes a knife a collector but I do know that a knife collector can also be a knife user and vise versa. Those terms are not mutually exclusive.

———
Xplorer wrote: If you buy them to collect them for any reason I'd call you a collector. Even if you use all of them.
This is basically the answer I would go with. It is concise and all encompassing.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:21 pm
I find the whole user vs collector conflict to be kind of silly. I mostly find it weird that being a “collector” carries some negative connotation these days. As if collectors don’t use their knives and being a knife “user” is being part of some elite club.

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but your “accumulation” of user knives is actually a collection. You’re a collector too! :party-face

I don’t know exactly what makes a knife a collector but I do know that a knife collector can also be a knife user and vise versa. Those terms are not mutually exclusive.

———
Xplorer wrote: If you buy them to collect them for any reason I'd call you a collector. Even if you use all of them.
This is basically the answer I would go with. It is concise and all encompassing.
Well said , especially the first sentence. I just do what I like with my knives and rather not waste my time thinking about what others do with their knives because it’s irrelevant to me . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't consider myself a knife collector, even though I have amassed a LOT of knives. I consider myself a knife "accumulator".

🤭

I've never bought knives to be a completist, but because I've felt I was searching for The One, my personal Holy Grail. Of course, there's always SOMEthing that's kept every knife from being my one 'perfect' knife, though some have come closer than others.

I don't catalog my knives, or display them, or have them in a safe. Nor do I view them as an investment to potentially cash in on in the future. I don't consider that a viable way to make money, anyway; at least not enough to make anyone more financially stable in life.

Jim
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

For me you become a collector when you start amassing knives for hypothetical situations or accumulating backups for knives that you are likely never to wear out.

I crossed that line a while ago, but I don't see the differentiation as either a positive or negative. I tend to needlessly sharpen or reprofile many of the knives that come into my possession, but I'm under no illusion that they are all necessary users. I can justify most of the knives I own, but when they are all together it's obvious that it's a collection.

Hobbies are not always practical, nor need they be...
So it goes.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Collectors are also partly in it for the “hunt”. Tracking down another piece definitely seems to be part of collecting.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'd also like to add, that if you're checking into this site multiple times a day, you are also a collector whether your accumulation belies that or not.
So it goes.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I would consider myself an enthusiast with a collection, I suppose. Term is probably going to vary in degrees depending on person.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I think of it more as a state of mind then put a number on how many you own of an object.
I have about 50 spydies today and i feel like a collector since i had my third one. 😁 But i was out for about 2 years and during that time i did not feel like a collector but felt more like an admirerer. I guess the urge to buy more should also be present to call you're an collector.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
I find the whole user vs collector conflict to be kind of silly. I mostly find it weird that being a “collector” carries some negative connotation these days.
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Well said , especially the first sentence. I just do what I like with my knives and rather not waste my time thinking about what others do with their knives because it’s irrelevant to me . Dan

Agreed - I´ve always been saying that there is no "better" or "worse" way of enjoying knives.

Just looking through 100 unused Spydies each day is not inherently "worse" than beating on the same, single folder one might own all the time.

Still I think in some cases it is fine or perhaps even helpful in discussions to define "shades" / "kinds" of collectors.

So for my Spydies I often use the a bit awkward double term "collection/array of users" - this, cause I DO think my at the moment 13 or 14 Spydies are a "collection" of course,and the kind of collection where each piece gets used and actually has to get used, otherwise I would not keep the knife for more than a day (and then try to sell it) - not better or worse but just different than the kind of collection where one is owning 50 Spydies, of which only two get actually used.

I think such explanations how one approaches the hobby are for one interesting and can also lead to better understanding (by being aware of the "background" of a person) - as long as there is NO "rating" involved, which way might be better.

/ For me personally "collecting" Spydies actually also means to experience the "whole thing" - the more exotic or rare, the more I just have to use a knife immediately in various tasks. I want to know how an expensive tool steel reacts to the elements, how it patinas, spots, whatever. I want to know how easily or not handle materials show use, get scratched or dinged. I want to know how ergos work out in real, prolongued use. I want to know if an edge rather chips or rolls. And the more my Spydies show use, aging, their own story, the more personal and unique looking they get, the more I like ´em... and my collection. :smlling-eyes

Just ONE way of many of being a "collector"

/ Now the difference to other areas in my life is, that with Spydies I am not "done" as soon as I have found a folder that fills a role pretty perfectly.

I do own more than one pack for mountaineering for example: A huge one for heavy loads multi day use. A medium, sturdy one for hauling gear to a climb. A medium very light one for fast hikes... and so on.
BUT: As soon as I have a pack that fills a niche, I don´t feel the need to get another one for the exact same niche, compare it to the first one, see which one might be a tad better in certain aspects... but rather carry the one I have till it falls apart and then get a new one.
Totally different with Spydies: Otherwise for example I would NOT own Manix, Endela, Tenacious and Stretch, but just ONE of these models - most likely just the first one I got.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:12 pm
I would consider myself an enthusiast with a collection, I suppose. Term is probably going to vary in degrees depending on person.
Well said Larry, I think that suits a lot of folks around here. Myself included!

I think, to be specific...having more than 2 knives, you are becoming a collector. I know when I started out I thought having one knife was just fine. Then I decided I also needed an SE knife. Best of both worlds! One PE, one SE. Then I hung out around here and that mentality when right out the window, and in a hurry!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have accumulated more Spydies (and other things, too) than I can possibly appreciate at any one time.

That makes me a collector.

I am not, however, a completist.

Whew! Thought I was in trouble…
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I certainly have never thought less of people who collect and display knives merely for that purpose, in fact it would be strange to me to use certain knives, such as especially rare, extremely exclusive, or very expensive custom knives that are more valuable for their collectability and art form than their practical use. Really I appreciate anyone who values a blade nowadays, as it seems to my great sadness that respect and value for the blade in our everyday lives is at an all time low. People who collect knives also contribute hugely to the testing of new steels, motivating innovation in knife businesses, and provide financial support for those businesses in a way that the average knife buyer does not.

A knife user and collector are definitely not mutually exclusive. Most collectors I know are actually the most avid users. Collectors have a greater interest into the nature of the tool, and that usually comes by first using, and continuing to use.

My method for knife collecting at this time, though, is that if I won't use it, even if I don't have to, then I shouldn't buy it. This comes down to practical reasons, that I don't have extra money laying around for this sort of thing, and also the mere fact that when a blade is put in my ever eager hands, it simply begs to be used. The edge has a desire to cut, and I have no intention of denying it's wishes. :respect

-- Old Norse proverb