Endela Pakkawood Hap40 KnifeCenter Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Endela Pakkawood Hap40 KnifeCenter Exclusive

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I just picked up a KnifeCenter exclusive Endela with Pakkawood scales and Hap40. The knife arrived with significant scratches on the ricasso which don’t show up as well in the photo as they appear in person. I wouldn’t mind this on an FRN knife that was meant to be a beater, but this doesn’t seem acceptable to me. I contacted KnifeCenter and they agreed and they are paying return shipping and refunding my purchase cost. I don’t want to be unnecessarily complaining but this is the fourth knife that is “high end” that I have needed to send back for unacceptable quality. I also had to send a Dragonfly K390 back to SFO that they replaced due to multiple issues.

My Seki City purchases have almost all had issues over the past 4 months.
64555E27-F652-4E1F-9A49-EDDEA48A37D4.jpeg
Soanso McMasters

Re: Endela Pakkawood Hap40 KnifeCenter Exclusive

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:21 am
I just picked up a KnifeCenter exclusive Endela with Pakkawood scales and Hap40. The knife arrived with significant scratches on the ricasso which don’t show up as well in the photo as they appear in person. I wouldn’t mind this on an FRN knife that was meant to be a beater, but this doesn’t seem acceptable to me. I contacted KnifeCenter and they agreed and they are paying return shipping and refunding my purchase cost. I don’t want to be unnecessarily complaining but this is the fourth knife that is “high end” that I have needed to send back for unacceptable quality. I also had to send a Dragonfly K390 back to SFO that they replaced due to multiple issues.

My Seki City purchases have almost all had issues over the past 4 months. My Taichung and Golden City knives have mostly been excellent.

64555E27-F652-4E1F-9A49-EDDEA48A37D4.jpeg
ETA - I’m not sure what’s up with the double post here.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:21 am
I just picked up a KnifeCenter exclusive Endela with Pakkawood scales and Hap40. The knife arrived with significant scratches on the ricasso which don’t show up as well in the photo as they appear in person....

I don't mean to "belittle" your issue, but in my experience the SUS410 cladding steel of the HAP40 models scratches so easily that one actually almost can't open and close the knife without getting scratches on the blade in the pivot area.

The whole blade will be heavily scratched in no time when a HAP40/SUS410 Spydie gets used.
Actually something I really like in this models: Each piece gets its unique, personal look by the scratches on the SUS410 and the patina on the HAP40.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I wonder if maybe it was a return or one that was in their showroom for awhile. Like Wartstein said, the SUS410 is very strong (pliable), but to achieve that they make it rather soft. It will scratch up from opening and closing. Similar to 420J2 steel used on the Caly 3.5 with ZDP. By keeping it on the soft side, it adds strength and corrosion resistance when used in cladding. My Caly has some scratches on it towards the tip from shredding a box. It will scratch up easily.

Now, I wanted that cladding for awhile. I like the worn look. Like a patina it becomes uniquely yours. It is my my pocket a lot, and it is a user. That said, I can understand getting something less than new when you expect it to be new out of box. Especially if it is just a collection piece and not a user. You could call Knifecenter and ask for a replacement Endela. I would think they would take care of you.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I really can’t add much more here that has already been wisely said in response . I can tell you from my experience with KC that they definitely will work with you to resolve your issue . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Skar

Post by Skar »

Shrug. If you want a perfect safe queen I can see why that Would matter.

I have a endura pakkawood from KC, I love carrying that knife. Takes a keen edge and holds it along time.
Just about all my knives have scratches all over them. That's nothing to worry over or return the knife for imo.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I admit that upon receival it is disappointing. I have the Mule cladded by SUS405 and I managed to scratch it with a paper towel xD.

Thats how it rolls though. Cant get the attributes of a soft stainless cladding without the softness.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah, my opinion is that there are better knives to buy if you're after "perfection."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I dug out mine just now and it does NOT have those scratches on the ricasso. Yes, the super soft SUS410 will scratch easily, but shouldn't the new owner be the one to put the scratches on it? I wouldn't send it back personally, but I'm lazy like that. I would be disappointed however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

It's not a knock on Spyderco, but the Seki models really originated as affordable user knives. They are great and most of my favorite models are Sekis, but they are just built that way and probably will not match the quality control people these days are expecting from a knife approaching the $200 mark. I bought a disappointing Endela in Hap40 also. I'd have been better off taking the Sekis I already have and getting some aftermarket scales if I really want to force them to look like gentleman's folders.