any whittlers out there?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: any whittlers out there?

Post by Airlsee »

That's a completely different conversation. In my opinion, Spyderco has become much more homogenized and boring, while many of the great collaborations and more specialized designs have been phased out.

Limiting yourself to only the Spydies in production would be a depressing mistake. You can find good deals on discontinued Spydies if you're persistent. Hopefully Spyderco will put out more collabs after the COVID shift has subsided.

I'm afraid that many of the quirky collaborations may phase out the further Sal steps away from operations. I can't help but believe that Spyderco is intrinsically tied to Sal as a person and his relationships throughout the knife community.

I love Eric's designs and think that the company is in good hands, but the relationships that stem from Sal and his personality can't be overstated.
Last edited by Airlsee on Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Native5 is okay for some things, but the broad blade does not lend itself to intricate work. Ditto most other Spydies, which is why I tend to gravitate toward traditional slipjoints. Narrow blades, thin grinds, sharp points...you know, all the features people whine about on Spydercos. The Grasshopper works quite well, especially if you can snag one in Sandvik. I also freely admit my hands are larger than average and getting arthitic, so small handles (Ladybug, Manbug, Honeybee, etc.) need not apply.

In the end, the only person who can tell you what works best for you is that old Devil, Experience. Grab a knife and a stick, kick back in the shade and make shavings. In a couple hundred hours, you'll know what you like and what you don't.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The Gayle Bradly Air is a nice knife for whittling. Narrow enough and M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i need a kiwi 4. threads like this remind me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:47 pm
i asked for some wood carving knives a couple years ago as a gift and got them. i haven't even opened the package yet. 😥 i just know i'm gonna slice my hand wide open.
Just get your self cut resistant gloves or finger guards. This guy's website has a pretty good run down on what is available with pros and cons. No affiliation, just a link I found: https://carvingisfun.com/whittling-gloves/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ladybug93 wrote:
i asked for some wood carving knives a couple years ago as a gift and got them. i haven't even opened the package yet. 😥 i just know i'm gonna slice my hand wide open.
Good news/bad news. Most of the wood carving knife sets I've seen over the years don't come sharp enough to hurt you, or to carve with. The cheaper ones generally aren't worth opening, and that's what you usually get from non-whittlers.

Of course, if I had a dollar for every time I've cut myself whittling, I could commission custom knives to hurt myself with.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Is there a preferred wood for whittling or do you guys just grab dead wood from outside?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Good news/bad news. Most of the wood carving knife sets I've seen over the years don't come sharp enough to hurt you, or to carve with. The cheaper ones generally aren't worth opening, and that's what you usually get from non-whittlers.

Of course, if I had a dollar for every time I've cut myself whittling, I could commission custom knives to hurt myself with.
i got a flexcut set. i really just haven't made time to do it. it's more about time than fear.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a couple of Flexcuts, they are actually pretty decent.

Time can be a problem all right. I do most of my whittling in front of the TV, with a random movie I've seen a dozen times playing. It gives me a chance to change focus and rest my eyes when a part comes on that I want to see, and I can ignore it the rest of the time.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 am
Is there a preferred wood for whittling or do you guys just grab dead wood from outside?
Yes.

Basswood (linden) is soft enough to carve easily and hard enough to hold some detail, so it is what I generally prefer, but I've used lumber scraps and random sticks as well.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:37 pm
Fred Sanford wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 am
Yes.

Basswood (linden) is soft enough to carve easily and hard enough to hold some detail, so it is what I generally prefer, but I've used lumber scraps and random sticks as well.

Cool. Thanks.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I went to Wikipedia to be sure. Whittling may refer either to the art of carving shapes out of raw wood using a knife or a time-occupying, non-artistic (contrast wood carving for artistic process) process of repeatedly shaving slivers from a piece of wood. It is used by many as a pastime, or as a way to make artistic creations.

I've been passing time.
IMG_20220530_084909841tentub.jpg
From top down, Magnacut Mule, Pacific Salt, Tenacious, Para 3 Spy 27 on 1/2 liter yogurt tubs.

What I have found. Push cuts produce curls.
IMG_20220521_212609137 (1)mulecurl.jpg
Slicing cuts from heel to tip, produce spirals.
IMG_20220525_001941551spiral.jpg
Slicing cuts from tip to heel end up in between.

I have hesitated to post this here because I use these shavings in the production of tinder packs. Shavings, feathered sticks, small stuff, in a ziplock and I give them to friends for Christmas or birthdays. Whittling is defined as art or past time, not a means of production. Ongoing life question, Where do I fit in? For me, it feels like a holiday every time I start a fire with a tinder pack at -20c. Also, it decreases risk having that little bit prepped in advance. Anyway.... I whittle.

I like the Magnacut Mule a lot, it goes and goes and sharpens well. Pacific Salt H1, hollow grind, coarse edge, it eats wood and poops shavings, easy to sharpen if you expect a rough working edge that goes. Tenacious, I like it too, it sharpens easy, and cuts well when it is sharp, and it is good in big hands. Para 3 Spy 27, gets sharp, stays sharp, piles up shavings and I can't really tell if it produces more or less than Magnacut.

In conclusion, I think that Spyderco produces several knives that are good whittling knives.
Last edited by ykspydiefan on Mon May 30, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

To me (and this is just my opinion, not fact), the difference between whittling and carving is largely philosophical. The carver is focused on the destination, the goal being a completed carving. The whittler is focused on the journey, the goal being to relax and enjoy. They may both start in the same place (with a block of wood) and end in much the same place (a completed project), their experience will be very different. The carver wants to get done and move on, the whittler moves on because he got done (or just ran out of wood).

People often ask me "How long did that take?" when they see one of my pieces. The only honest answer I can give them is "I don't have a clue." The long chain I posted earlier occupied most of my whittling time for about 11 months. How many hours? Don't have a clue. All I can tell you is I ran out of wood or it would be even longer. More than a few of my basswood blocks have ended up as nothing but shavings. It doesn't bother me when that happens.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:33 pm

People often ask me "How long did that take?" when they see one of my pieces. The only honest answer I can give them is "I don't have a clue." The long chain I posted earlier occupied most of my whittling time for about 11 months. How many hours? Don't have a clue. All I can tell you is I ran out of wood or it would be even longer. More than a few of my basswood blocks have ended up as nothing but shavings. It doesn't bother me when that happens.
I have swiped a bit of Steven Wright monologue and use it in answer to, "How long did that take?" Reply, "The whole time." "How many hours?" Reply, "All of them." Steven Wright is super funny. :eyes
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

For me, whittling is done during evening walks with my wife. Its soothing and allows me to get a better feel for the knife and the edge I've created. Nothing creative, just making larger pieces smaller, and leaving a trail of curls so I can find my way back home.. I mostly just whittle cedar due to the feel and smell, which I love, and will cut on some hickory I've set back from my back yard.

I'll mostly use MuleTeam knives that I've made handles for, for testing hot-spots and hand fatigue. I've found compression locks aren't the best for whittling for long periods due to hot-spots, so for folders back-locks work great.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049