Native 5 Lightweight - 2016 New Old Stock, Full SE, Black Blade, S35VN - CQI questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Native 5 Lightweight - 2016 New Old Stock, Full SE, Black Blade, S35VN - CQI questions

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey folks,

I was fortunate enough to buy a new old stock Native 5 Lightweight from New Graham Knives. The knife was made in 2016 according to the box. It is a fully serrated black bladed model with a CPM-S35VN blade.

It seems that maybe there was an update (CQI) to the pivot bushing in later models. Out of the box it was "sticky". Best way I can describe it is that the blade wants to stick to the FRN handles rather than move smoothly between them. I cannot tighten the pivot screws down because it prevents the blade from moving. Was there an improvement made where the pivot bushing was made a couple thousandths wider so that you can tighten the pivot screws down and it doesn't lock up the blade? I seem to remember reading something about this on the forums but it's been too long and I cannot remember.

Full disclosure, I disassembled the knife to see what I could figure out. (I've done this to probably 8 different Native 5's. Just cleaned and oiled it, but nothing changed. I noticed that where the blade rides on the "washers", the blade is still black. I have another black bladed Native 5 that has the coating removed where the blade runs on the plastic "washers". Is the black coating an issue?

Not looking to make this a warranty issue at all. Just curious, and cannot remember all the details from back in the day. Other than the "sticky" issue, the knife is perfect in every way and I'm just going to do what I've always done (open, close, cut) and see if that fixes the stickyness. It usually does. I'm just more curious about the pivot bushing and the coating where the blade contacts the scales.

If anyone knows, what differences there may be between a 2016 N5 Lightweight, and a current N5 Lightweight, I'd love to hear it.

Beautiful design and execution however on the Native 5. Doesn't matter what version, G10 or otherwise. What a well thought out and great knife. This is an engineers knife for sure.

Cheers,
David

Enjoy some pics. :)

P.S. - What are the chances that the MJ is "Michael Janich"? ;-) I know....I doubt it.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Giygas

Re: Native 5 Lightweight - 2016 New Old Stock, Full SE, Black Blade, S35VN - CQI questions

Post by Giygas »

One of the major uses of DLC is to reduce friction, so I can't see it being an issue.

If I remember correctly, my BHQ exclusive M4 pm2 was coated in the washer area as well and it was always at least as smooth as any uncoated version I've handled.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Sharp Guy

Re: Native 5 Lightweight - 2016 New Old Stock, Full SE, Black Blade, S35VN - CQI questions

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm pretty sure my first N5 LW was made in 2016 or earlier. It has black FRN and S35VN satin blade that's kind of stonewashed. It's the best one I have. The action's really smooth and the blade drops 90°when I push the lock bar. I have others that also do that but they're not as smooth as the S35VN. I have several with various steels and colors. The S35VN is the one I'd keep if I had to sell everything
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
olywa

Post by olywa »

I have the same knife in PE S35VN. Smooth action, great detent and centering. No blade or lock rock whatsoever. I had wanted an all-black N5 LW and jumped on this one when I heard they were going back to S30V. Glad I did as it epitomizes the best of Golden for me. They really dialed in the backlock with this one. I regret not picking one up in SE.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, David:

The MJ on the blade is not me...

To prep blade for DLC coating, they are typically bead blasted. This creates a slight surface texture and ensures that the coating bonds well, but is also coarser than a satin finish. As such, out of the box most black-bladed knives seem slightly stickier than satin-finished versions; however, they smooth out very quickly with use.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I usually so not add grease or oil to any N5 LW.
I have no DLC N5 (yet), but there was some sort of grease in the N5 LW S30v I bought second hand. This was the cause of the knife feeling sticky on opening and closing.

I'll add that a drop of oil on the travel surface that contacts the lockbar might help too.

I don't know if this will help. If it doesn't though, maybe the DLC is the factor. I think the change on the bushing is the middle groove. I have models with and without it and it doesn't affect the action.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I may be missing something. There is no pivot bushing on the N5 LW is there?

I will say my one an only example of the N5 LW the SPY27 variant was very sticky at first. I think that is what you get with no washers, only FRN, and tight tolerances. I think the tight tolerances on the N5 are why the lock back is so dang good. Don't want to lose that.

The action was really bad through the entire opening motion. Gets hung up during different multiple points. I open and closed for a couple of days. Added a drop of mineral oil then repeated. After about a week, it became incredibly smooth. Unbelievably smooth to have no washers. I think the FRN just has to break in.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

As it turns out, after 2 days of use, it's smooth as butta now. :)

Thanks all. Appreciate it. Good to know about the lube and the middle groove.

olywa wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 pm
I have the same knife in PE S35VN. Smooth action, great detent and centering. No blade or lock rock whatsoever. I had wanted an all-black N5 LW and jumped on this one when I heard they were going back to S30V. Glad I did as it epitomizes the best of Golden for me. They really dialed in the backlock with this one. I regret not picking one up in SE.

I'm with ya. I have had really good luck with the S35VN. I dig it.

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 am
Hey, David:

The MJ on the blade is not me...

To prep blade for DLC coating, they are typically bead blasted. This creates a slight surface texture and ensures that the coating bonds well, but is also coarser than a satin finish. As such, out of the box most black-bladed knives seem slightly stickier than satin-finished versions; however, they smooth out very quickly with use.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike

Very helpful. Thanks Mike. Appreciate it. Any chance you know if the pivot bushing got wider by a few thousandths?

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 am

The pivot bushing is right above the blade in the 3rd pic, and in the blade in the 2nd and 4th pic. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:24 am
JSumm wrote:

The pivot bushing is right above the blade in the 3rd pic, and in the blade in the 2nd and 4th pic. ;)
:rofl Lord have mercy. Do you ever read something and mix up the word in your head with another word. I am reading pivot bushing and thinking washer.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:37 am
Fred Sanford wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:24 am
JSumm wrote:

:rofl Lord have mercy. Do you ever read something and mix up the word in your head with another word. I am reading pivot bushing and thinking washer.

All the time. All good my friend. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had 4 Native 5 LW's now, two were DLC, one satin S90V and one satin Maxamet. The two DLC were gifted to people, one was also a factory second. I don't recall any major pivot issues (nor do I recall manufactured date unfortunately) but I will say all of them have improved greatly from a bit of grease on the "washers" on the inside of the FRN. The S90V I have is the teal version, my wife carries it and loves it, the action is about as perfect as you can get from a back lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:11 am
I've had 4 Native 5 LW's now, two were DLC, one satin S90V and one satin Maxamet. The two DLC were gifted to people, one was also a factory second. I don't recall any major pivot issues (nor do I recall manufactured date unfortunately) but I will say all of them have improved greatly from a bit of grease on the "washers" on the inside of the FRN. The S90V I have is the teal version, my wife carries it and loves it, the action is about as perfect as you can get from a back lock.

Thanks D. I agree. I have owned 12 different N5’s and all have been flawless and just work work work.

I only have a couple now. The one in the pics above is now flawless. I did nothing but open, close, use for the past two days.

Honestly, I should have just realized that this thing has been sitting on a shelf for about 6 years. Just needed a bit of break in.