Fine tuning your Spyderco PM2 REX45 Copper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThomasAasen

Fine tuning your Spyderco PM2 REX45 Copper

Post by ThomasAasen »

Hi.
I love my Spyderco PM2 CPM 45REX in Copper. But it's a bit slow when opening and closing. I can flick it open with my thumb and finger and reverse. But what I would like, is to let it fall down into closing,,, maybe also with opening, pushing the lock in. Is this possible to get done? I have never opened it, other than trying to adjust the pivot and the back-screws. This is my favorite knife(Military is very close though). If there's someone who can do this for me, adjusting and tuning it to perfection, I would be very happy. I'll pay the cost for shipping, both ways of course.
I would also like a low carrying clip. And if I could get the blade dark Stonewashed, Dark Acid treatment,,,the same with the clip(I like to cary it up, with the blade down), and all the hardware in Dark Grey(even blackish), that would be the PERFECT Spyderco PM2 Copper for me. So, please let me know who can do this, if possible, or should I send it to Spyderco Company and ask them for adjustments?
VooDooChild

Re: Fine tuning your Spyderco PM2 REX45 Copper

Post by VooDooChild »

I would say try adjusting the pivot yourself before going through all that.

Keep in mind the knife both needs to break in, and occasionally be cleaned and lubed to have really good action.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Hi Thomas, i don't think Spyderco will fine tune your PM if it's not a warranty problem. Spyderco doesn't have a custom shop. I think you should look into Instagram for custom knife makers who can do this for you. I don't know if there are members on the forum who do custom work other then their own knives. You could ask on www.bladeforums.com, a lot of custom knife makers are on that forum. This forum is more a collectors forum.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have one. It's what I and I think a few other folks term as "hydraulic". I think it relates directly to the very stiff scales and lock setup. I've had mine apart a couple times and the action has not changed.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Maybe it's tight tolerances and lubrication? The oil dampens the movement because it needs to move out of the way and it has no place to go ?
Danke

Post by Danke »

Jim Malone wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:20 am
Maybe it's tight tolerances and lubrication? The oil dampens the movement because it needs to move out of the way and it has no place to go ?
Not sure. It's not bad, it's just different.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Still changing.

Just gave it some oil and it's nearly as slick as my fastest one, the Crucarta.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Nice Patina!
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

I have the dlc one. I returned one since it was very stiff. 2nd better but just did my best opening and closing a bit, then dropped some lube on the edges. Getting there. Hardware besides purchasing aftermarket, you can oil and us a blowtorch to darken the polished hardware. If your already disassembling the knife, you might want to try polishing the washers and adding lube and see if that gives you better action.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Danke wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:59 pm
Still changing.

I hadn't seen one with a strong patina, very nice!

As for OP's action...I would imagine that if you took it apart and very carefully polished/thinned the washers to match perfectly with the pivot bushing and blade you could find that perfect drop-shut action with no blade play.

Replacing the hardware and acid etch are pretty easy DIY mods..best of luck! 🤞

If you're uncomfortable taking it apart, it will break-in more with use, but you may wear out the detent ball before you reach perfect drop-shut action. I wish Spyderco would use ceramic detents in everything...
So it goes.