Native chief with compression lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Native chief with compression lock?

Post by Fireman »

Anyone else think this is a good idea? The longer blade seems like a good fit for that lock.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Re: Native chief with compression lock?

Post by Ramonade »

I guess my new appreciation for this lock is for something in my answer. But yeah, I could see a similar model usibg the comp lock. Maybe a new design, but with the same dimensions, both in length and height?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Meh. I love the Native series back locks. And I say this as a fan of compression locks. I like the idea of keeping some good solid back lock knives in the lineup, and the Natives fit the bill nicely.

I do feel like the Chief kind of stands with the Military in not needing to be changed.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's why a similar model would be more welcomed by us Native addicts :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also like the back lock. I think with a compression lock, you don't have as much real estate on the fairly narrow handle of the knife when disengaging the lock. I think the back lock was the perfect choice for this model.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am getting Kapara feels from a Chief with a compression lock. Thin handles may not be the best option for compression locks. If the Chief is anything like the Native 5, I imagine it is one of best back locks on the market.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I would certainly be interested in a compression lock version. I own three Native 5’s (lined G10 S110V, lightweight S110V, and Salt variations). The Native has the best designed and executed back-lock of any knife I’ve ever used, but when I bought my L’il Native, I went with the compression lock, partly because I prefer the lock and partly because I love the deep-carry wire clip.

The only reason I haven’t bought a Native Chief yet is because of the blade length. Missouri lets you conceal “ordinary pocketknives,” which are folders with no blade longer than 4 inches. Larger folders and fixed blades are governed by the same weapons laws as guns, so there are quite a few “off limits” places (e.g., the college where I work). Since the Native Chief blade is 4.08 inches long, it’s not legal for me to carry one everwhere. I doubt I’d appreciate the extra 0.08 inches of cutting edge enough to want to risk running afoul of the law. If the blade were 4 inches long, I’d buy one for sure.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Excellent idea Fireman! A compression lock Native Chief sounds amazing! They did it to the lil' Native so the idea is not that far fetched. I love the blade and the size and the overall shape of the Chief, I just wish it was as quick and smooth to deploy and repocket as my compression lock knives. Some days, at work, I know I'm going to have a busy knife day. I usually won't carry a Chief on those days because it's arguably just not as quick and slightly more fiddly. Still a great knife though!
Too soon to put in a variant request for K390, 10v or PMA11?
•• Beau
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like the chief as it is now, but I'd definitely try a comp lock version.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sounds interesting but very happy with the Chief as a lockback. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

For me personally, I probably wouldn't be interested in a comp lock version of the Chief. I suspect that a backlock, like the Golden backlock, will last longer overall than a comp lock, especially with a blade the size of the Chief's. Because the comp lock relies on a little detent ball for closed retention, and that ball surface may develop a flat spot over time with wear, and lose retention.

I realize that the Military has a large blade and is held closed by a ball detent in the locking liner, but that may be a little different from a comp lock.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Hard pass from me. Any knife available with a comp lock and anything else, anything else gets my vote.
sal

Post by sal »

The cost of new engineering and tooling for an existing model in not practical. Also, it would have to bump another new model out of queue. Also not practical.

sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

sal wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:20 pm
The cost of new engineering and tooling for an existing model in not practical. Also, it would have to bump another new model out of queue. Also not practical.

sal

That sounds pretty definitive.

My 2 cents is that I probably would have bought a comp lock version to have that blade, if it had come out first. But now that I own the current version, I probably wouldn't. I just prefer almost anything to a comp lock. I understand the attraction; just not for me. A Chief Salt would get my attention!
sal

Post by sal »

The original chief was designed 20 years ago. Eric pulled it out of the archives, tweaked it, the model was re engineered, tooled and put into production as a mid lock-back which was the original design.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The mid-lock back is perfect for the Native Chief and it is in keeping with the Native family. The beautiful smooth back should not be marred by the gouge required by a comp lock.

Thanks Sal for the design and thanks to Eric for bringing it out of the archives and for staying true to the design.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yes, the Native Chief design as it is, is (IMO), one of Spyderco's finest designs. And that says a lot, considering all of Spyderco's great designs. It's definitely become my favorite large folder.

Jim
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Aesthetically, it's probably the most attractive knife Spyderco currently makes. The lines draw the eye like the curves on a sports car.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:12 pm
The original chief was designed 20 years ago. Eric pulled it out of the archives, tweaked it, the model was re engineered, tooled and put into production as a mid lock-back which was the original design.

sal
Thank you Eric. We waited so long for the Chief.
I still hope for an OG swedge release.

No comp lock camp here. :squinting-tongue
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:37 am
Aesthetically, it's probably the most attractive knife Spyderco currently makes. The lines draw the eye like the curves on a sports car.
Funny you say that, for me for some odd reason it gives me a stealthy, fighter jet vibes...even though it clearly doesn't have wings.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick