Sprig Re-run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amateur blacksmith

Sprig Re-run

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Is there some interst? I know I've read in a few threads now some people would buy it. Sal, If you happen accross this thread what are the chances?

I'd be up for the Southfork as well if was ever to be rerun. Some retailers still had it as recently as a few months ago but none posted to Australia.
Wandering_About

Re: Sprig Re-run

Post by Wandering_About »

The Sprig was my favorite Spyderco fixed blade. Would love to see it again.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm in!
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

Love the Sprig........ I lost (or had stolen) the one I had - miss it! Totally would be down for another one. Magnacut?

South Fork would also be awesome! :)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Love my Sprig, another run in MagnaCut would be great.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Natural/burlap micarta would be nice...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I would buy two: one for me and one for my father. I wanted to get one when they were originally on the market, but by the time I had the money, they were all sold out. LC200N or MagnaCut (as Ashton says) would be idea for a fishing knife. I’d prefer MagnaCut, I suppose, since I already own a Waterway in LC200N (which is my go-to fishing knife).
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd like to see it in magnacut or K390
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Yes please!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I want one as well, either in s90v, LC200N or MagnaCut, please.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

S90v and Phil Wilson go together like PB and J. Maybe just change the scales up?
sal

Post by sal »

S90 is a long way from LC or Magnacut in edge retention.

Also, the current Phil Wilson design (Bow River) is being made in China, and frankly is selling well due to the cost factor. Are you thinking to make it with the original maker in Taichung? or in China? If we made it in China, the exotic steels would not be likely.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Please cover both ends of the spectrum. Not enough people have been exposed to the genius of Phil Wilson. Please maintain S90V in the Sprig and update the Bow River with 10C...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I regret not picking up the Southfork or Sprig, I wouldn't want anything changed. Taichung/S90V gets my vote.
So it goes.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Interesting this should come up since I was thinking about the same thing. The "Sprig" was originally designed for CPM S90V and that category of high wear resistance blade steel. LC200n is covered in the Waterway for a high corrosion resistance outdoor application. I have made several Sprigs lately with Magnacut and have been very happy with the overall performance for both an outdoor and fillet knife. If the Sprig were to be brought back my input would be CPM S90V and to tweek the edge thickness down bit and the hardness up a bit. A micarta handle would fit right in with the use category. Any how thanks for the kind words guys. Phil
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Micarta would be nice, but I would especially appreciate your tweeking the edge thickness and distal taper over the original Spycerco/Sprig collaboration. A slightly harder S90V would be icing on the cake. Very much looking forward to it.
amateur blacksmith

sal wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:16 pm
S90 is a long way from LC or Magnacut in edge retention.

Also, the current Phil Wilson design (Bow River) is being made in China, and frankly is selling well due to the cost factor. Are you thinking to make it with the original maker in Taichung? or in China? If we made it in China, the exotic steels would not be likely.

sal

Absolutely made in Taichung. I think the S90V in the original was a perfect choice for this knife. I'm not really interested in any Chinese knives. (that has nothing to do with quality)

The Sprig is such an elegant and practical design and it would be a terrible shame for it not to live on.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

Yes to a Spring re-run! I've been looking around for one. Keep the steel as S90V please.
amateur blacksmith

Phil Wilson wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 pm
Interesting this should come up since I was thinking about the same thing. The "Sprig" was originally designed for CPM S90V and that category of high wear resistance blade steel. LC200n is covered in the Waterway for a high corrosion resistance outdoor application. I have made several Sprigs lately with Magnacut and have been very happy with the overall performance for both an outdoor and fillet knife. If the Sprig were to be brought back my input would be CPM S90V and to tweek the edge thickness down bit and the hardness up a bit. A micarta handle would fit right in with the use category. Any how thanks for the kind words guys. Phil

Thanks for the input Phil, Great to see you in this thread. Those tweaks sound excellent. This is one of those knives, when you have it in hand you realize what an outstanding design it is. Added to that Taichung quality and it's truely a thing of beauty.
attila

Post by attila »

I wish I had bought one when they were around, so I’d be interested too.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5