Sprig Re-run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteveMidwest

Re: Sprig Re-run

Post by SteveMidwest »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:17 pm
Nicely done Steve! Thank you for sharing the pics!

You are quite welcome Buddafucco. I was happy to do it!

Here is a picture taken from Phil's website, of a natural micarta drop-point Bow River he made years ago. I am so glad that he has kept a photograph record of many of the knives he has made.

Notice the pinch-grip angle on the front of the scales on this one.
I don't remember ever seeing a picture of the Bow River knife he sent to Spyderco, as a design submission for the Bow River we see being produced today. I wonder how the front of the scales looked on that one? Maybe Phil or Sal can share a picture of it here, for us.

mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

A rerun of the Sprig, or any Phil Wilson design with similar materials as the previous Sprig and South Fork, and built in Taichung or Golden would be fantastic.
I really like the looks of his Meadows Skinner (picture) as well.

(I hope it is okay if I share this picture from his site)
Attachments
4_5_inch_Meadow_SemiSkinner.jpg
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ve recently come to admire Phil Wilson’s designs a bit more deeply and they’ve inspired me in some number of ways. I like the way he does the tips of knives, even if that’s a pretty subtle thing.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Bump for interest. For those that don't have one, the Sprig is both beautiful, and in use, exceptional.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I too would be interested in this model coming back, especially considering that the Waterway seems like it won’t be available any time soon.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use my Sprig and Southfork a lot.

I still hope for a premium Bow River and a premium fillet knife.

Magnacut would be nice for a fillet knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Managed to get a turkey with my bow this fall.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:47 am
Managed to get a turkey with my bow this fall.

Nice work, Darby! Congrats.
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

sal wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:16 pm
S90 is a long way from LC or Magnacut in edge retention.

Also, the current Phil Wilson design (Bow River) is being made in China, and frankly is selling well due to the cost factor. Are you thinking to make it with the original maker in Taichung? or in China? If we made it in China, the exotic steels would not be likely.

sal
Sal, how is the availability of 10Cr15CoMoV for Spyderco in China?
It seems very promising as an ideal budget steel.

I've yet to buy the Bow River, but it's very tempting at it's current price point.

Edit: for those who do not know what the Spyderco Sprig is, check this:

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

There are many different forms of Phil Wilson Spyderco’s I’d go for, including things brought up in this thread.

I have to mention that a Rex121 Sprig is among the things I’ve happened to list as one of my most wanted Spydercos.
Basically, I’m really interested in trying Rex121
in a folder and fixed blade, but I’m not ready to buy something from BBB, and I think Spyderco’s and Phil Wilson’s Sprig is a prime choice for the fixed blade.
I’d also be really interested in some serrated variations on the Sprig, Bow River, and even Waterway for that matter. Yes, I’m even weird enough to say I want to try a serrated Rex121 Sprig. Or at least thin and serrated 15V could work? I already plan to buy the BBB 15V stuff, but I doubt serrations are part of those plans!

Sorry I’m getting away from the topic, I just have an interest in trying serrations in the same range of steels and knives as plain edge.

In case Sal sees this, I think it’s really cool we get serrated K390 and all these steels I’ve been mentioning. I’m a really endlessly curious person, and it’s partially because of Spyderco’s knives that I’ve established an interest to direct that curiosity at.

The downside is that I’m always curious and wonder out loud about wild things like Rex121 production knives or paleontology/natural history informed design.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Maremmen Jager

Post by Maremmen Jager »

Re-bump for this thread.

I fell in love with Phil's design and concepts behind sometimes ago.
Especially the combo between feeling like a glove (Read many times in different places) and materials such S90V and G10(Great in the field).

Here in Italy, they are nearly unknown both Phil's work and Ppyderco's partnership.
I have only found an article about the launch of Spyderco models.
Unfortunately, at the time I was too young to know and afford them, and now the few around has a price like collectable items and not a hunting knife.

At the moment, I have only the Chinese version of the bow river on the way.

I could be interested in a re-run in a premium steel both Taichung and Golden made.
Could be M398 an idea?

P.s. Do you know if Phil is still in business with custom knifes?