Sprig Re-run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DukeBrnz

Re: Sprig Re-run

Post by DukeBrnz »

I just saw Phil's comment and I have to say a harder, thinner S90V blade with a micarta handle sounds delightful. I'd be willing to pay for Taichung. Please consider it Sal!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think a rerun is a good idea for everyone that didn't get a chance to grab this design. Mine still sees a lot of kitchen use... S90v in the kitchen has been pretty great. Really wish I had grabbed a Southfork.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Catamount123 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:56 am
Love my Sprig, another run in MagnaCut would be great.
This.

I own two Sprigs, as well as the Phil Wilson (custom) B&T that it's based on.

I'd love to buy another pair of Sprigs in magnacut.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 pm
If the Sprig were to be brought back my input would be CPM S90V and to tweek the edge thickness down bit and the hardness up a bit. A micarta handle would fit right in with the use category.
This sounds fantastic ! :bug-red-white
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'd love to see all 3 in a blue micarta with K390 as a spring. I kick myself for not getting a sprig. I love my Southfork. My other desire is to see a smoke creek in K390
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I love the idea of another run of S90V, tweaked as Phil Wilson suggests. That may not be the best seller, unfortunately, but the selfish part of me would love this knife. I'm not sure how much I'd like a Chinese made verison in 8Cr13MoV. The Bow River is a good design, the question is would the Sprig fit in beside it well as a budget fixed blade? I've given away several Bow Rivers and people seem to love them.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Didn't know about this model. It really is an elegant design. I'd be up for any re-run as a sprint or in production.
I'd like any steel that has a name.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:16 pm
S90 is a long way from LC or Magnacut in edge retention.

Also, the current Phil Wilson design (Bow River) is being made in China, and frankly is selling well due to the cost factor. Are you thinking to make it with the original maker in Taichung? or in China? If we made it in China, the exotic steels would not be likely.

sal
Taichung in K390, M4, or 10v would be a must buy!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Hadn't heard of the sprig before, but having looked it up, I'd be on for a re-release as well, but only in a higher end steel. Don't think I'd be interested in a cheaper 8CR PRC version, but Taiwan and S90V, 20CV, S110V, S45VN, Magna, etc, definitely.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

More 'Sprig's' would get me excited!   :cheap-sunglasses

This may not be along the lines of what the original poster is thinking, but hear me out until the end.

I own a Sprig now , and I also own a Bow River (4 actually). So a new configuration would be needed, to get my money. Having had both of these in hand for a long time, I can also see what I like more about each one, and would sure love to see a combo of what I like best in each of the two, made into a single knife model.

I carry my Sprig less, because of its length. So the Bow River's size wins for me.

I put my Bow River(s) on the belt grinder the day I got them. To give them just a bit of a drop point. (Sorry Phil) :cowboy

I also ground the leading edge of the scales back at an angle on my Bow River (BR) when I got it. Making for a much nicer pinch grip area.

The index finger area design on the BR is best for me, and more to my liking.

I do not like the pin layout on the Sprig. In my engineering mind, and eye. The pin layout on the BR is superior.

Both blades are nicely thin.

The best path forward, as I see it. Is to target the middle ground (Price/edge retention/steel cost and availability). The Sprig is quite high end, high(er) priced, and has some wonderful edge retention steel, but that's contributing to the high price.The BR is low(er) priced, and comes with a very budget steel, that is not nearly as good at edge retention. (not even close)
:smiling-cheeks

So in conclusion, for me, and with Phil's blessing. I'd like to see the new Sprig "Re-Run" come out as a natural brown micarta drop point Bow River in S30V, and with a little better pinch-grip area on the front of the scales. Pricing this knife between the two knives being compared here. S30V is much more spread out around the earth now, than it was when the first Sprig was produced by Spyderco. So Sal and Eric now have much better options, as to where to have this next knife made. Whichever factory they choose, S30V is nearby, and this also gives them the advantage to weigh pricing options and production schedules. 

What do you think?  :thinking
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:27 am
I put my Bow River(s) on the belt grinder the day I got them. To give them just a bit of a drop point. (Sorry Phil) :cowboy

I also ground the leading edge of the scales back at an angle on my Bow River (BR) when I got it. Making for a much nicer pinch grip area.
Pics of the mods?
•• Beau
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

I love this little knife and would buy another. It's an excellent fishing tool. S90v carries a toothy edge for forever and has never rusted on me. The blade shape is ideal for cleaning fish and processing vegetables. The taco style sheath is excellent for carry clipped to my pants. My only recommendation would be to add a thumb ramp. Apart from that, the whole package is perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love my little mules, but the sprig is next level.

Edit: a thumb ramp to the sheath. The blade is perfect as is
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

We AFI's all have our pet idiosynchrosies, but for the broadest maximum appeal, going with the designers intended purpose and recommended tweeks may be the best first step. The knife is, after all, an expression of his vision and that's what makes it so attractive and appealing.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I owned a sprig and really liked it, but thought it was expensive for what it was. I’m interested in another run, but it will only be more expensive now.

So I love the idea of a bow river with s30v or similar steel, especially with micarta scales. Seems like a nice compromise to get a Phil Wilson design with good steel at a hopefully decent price. Spyderco recently came out with the lw tenacious with s35vn, so some of their Chinese factories should have access to that steel.
WRB

Post by WRB »

S90V and micarta, send it. This is one I’d shell out a few extra bucks for.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 pm
Interesting this should come up since I was thinking about the same thing. The "Sprig" was originally designed for CPM S90V and that category of high wear resistance blade steel. LC200n is covered in the Waterway for a high corrosion resistance outdoor application. I have made several Sprigs lately with Magnacut and have been very happy with the overall performance for both an outdoor and fillet knife. If the Sprig were to be brought back my input would be CPM S90V and to tweek the edge thickness down bit and the hardness up a bit. A micarta handle would fit right in with the use category. Any how thanks for the kind words guys. Phil
Mr Wilson, if I lived in the US I’d have plenty of your Custom Knives.

When I first bought my Sprig I thought I liked it. When I put it to task filleting fish and cutting through rib bones I knew I loved it and would hate to be without it. I bought a back up when it was discontinued and I’m kicking myself for not buying a Southfork back up.

Anyhow, hope you and Mr Glesser come together and do indeed produce a tweaked Sprig, Southfork, Bow River … as you describe.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Nice pic Bloke. I bought one and do regret not buying 2.

Sadly I didn't get a Southfork so I will be up for 2 if that has another run.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:40 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:27 am

Pics of the mods?
Here you go, Buddafucco. :cheap-sunglasses

I'm sorry I didn't do it with my first comment, but it's probably been about a year since I've uploaded any pictures here, and I had forgotten how to do it. Thank you for forcing my hand, to learn how to do it again. :releived

Now I do want to add, that I went a bit further on adding the drop point, than I wanted to. My target was to take the factory blade length from 4.375" to 4.125". But by the time I had gone through about 4 belt/grit changes, to get it looking really nice. I ended up with a 3.875" blade length. Of course keeping it wet and cool, during the whole process.

I hope these pictures turn out Ok. I'm typing this before uploading the pictures, and it was hard to get a good shot of the work done on the front of the scales. The Sun kept going in and out from behind the clouds, and the wind is blowing a steady 29 mph! :tonque-out

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Nicely done Steve! Thank you for sharing the pics!
•• Beau
Murat_Cyp

Post by Murat_Cyp »

If it will be thin and hard, MagnaCut would win hands down. I opt for MagnaCut and K390. High vanadium tool steel is not a bad option as it is much easier to wash and wipe the blade during fish processing than to stop and sharpening. Fish scales and bones are not easy on edge, if the edge gets chipped it will not matter how wear resistance the steel is. So, in my opinion, it is best to leave S90V out.