Coming together to find Middle Ground. Delica/Endela/Endura Handles. One Groove to rule them all.?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Takuan

Re: Coming together to find Middle Ground. Delica/Endela/Endura Handles. One Groove to rule them all.?

Post by Takuan »

I like the Endura handle, but I have XL hands with skinny fingers, so I know others who are built differently might have a different experience. Once of my favorite Spyderco handles was on the Goddard lightweight, since it had a nice guard to prevent the hand from slipping up on the blade, but was otherwise pretty neutral to facilitate a variety of different grips. I’d love to see that knife come back (preferably in the Salt line in LC200N or MagnaCut). The only major modification I’d make to the handle/blade would be to round the guard/ricasso area into a finger choil to enable a forward grip (since it was “unused real estate” in the original design). Of course, a four-way clip and a bidirectional textured handle would be nice, too. :smlling-eyes

"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
RustyIron

Re: Coming together to find Middle Ground. Delica/Endela/Endura Handles. One Groove to rule them all.?

Post by RustyIron »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm
On the other hand there's absolutely no reason to not want comfort along with function, when it isn't some monumental challenge to achieve.
Right on. I'll be the first to admit that the Manix 2 and XL seem to fit my hands the best.
But I can't say I've ever felt discomfort from using a knife... except for those times when I might accidentally let out some of the red juice. Despite my affinity for Manixes, the knife I carry the most is the Police 4 (Endura on steroids). The Endura would take its place if I couldn't have a Police 4. Despite not being the prettiest or the most ergonomic, these knifes provide a whole lotta usability.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm
On the other hand there's absolutely no reason to not want comfort along with function, when it isn't some monumental challenge to achieve.
Right on. I'll be the first to admit that the Manix 2 and XL seem to fit my hands the best.
But I can't say I've ever felt discomfort from using a knife... except for those times when I might accidentally let out some of the red juice. Despite my affinity for Manixes, the knife I carry the most is the Police 4 (Endura on steroids). The Endura would take its place if I couldn't have a Police 4. Despite not being the prettiest or the most ergonomic, these knifes provide a whole lotta usability.

I don't think most people would unless you're using it long enough to develop hotspots. Otherwise comfort is pretty subjective. For me it's similar to comfortable work boots. I could get the same functionality out of a pair of steel toe boots that are a half size too small for me, and they would get the job done just the same as I can get the job done with an Endura, but over time the comfort would certainly start to matter more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.41.18 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.41.18 PM.jpg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 427 times

The circled area is there to prevent the blade tang from being a snag hazard. Many traditional style knives lack that feature outside of Canoes, Copperheads, etc. Sal & Spyderco seem to spend effort in making the closed knife look and feel as good as when it's open. Back on track, on some designs you cannot alter that area much without exposing the blade tang. The Manix is about as minimal as you can go with the tang covered and still allow for a choil. However, I think Wayne and Sal made this knife they way they did on purpose.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

The Stretch does a good job of incorporating a choil into the guard area without creating a snag hazard. It also has a more neutral handle shape without finger grooves.
--Socrates
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Takuan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:34 pm
The Stretch does a good job of incorporating a choil into the guard area without creating a snag hazard. It also has a more neutral handle shape without finger grooves.
Agreed, it does a great job! I think it’s because Sal designed it that way, while Wayne designed his folder his way. I don’t know why the design is the way it is, but maybe Sal has a “talking story” about it?

Anyway, my point is the designer makes the design they wish to see, all of us second guessing them might be at least a little insulting? Maybe I just over think things.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm
...all of us second guessing them might be at least a little insulting? Maybe I just over think things.

That's a good point. I can be quick to criticize (it is pretty easy to do). I should stop and think before posting. I'm not saying people are above criticism, but I should be more thoughtful and understanding before doing so.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm
...all of us second guessing them might be at least a little insulting? Maybe I just over think things.

That's a good point. I can be quick to criticize (it is pretty easy to do). I should stop and think before posting. I'm not saying people are above criticism, but I should be more thoughtful and understanding before doing so.

I'd say the opposite, be more vocal about what you dislike, it's called critiquing and anyone who designs anything should be open to being critiqued, whether it's an oil painting or a car design or grilling a steak. You take the good feedback with the bad or you shouldn't be a designer of anything. I would say it's more important to be respectful about how you give feedback, for example "I'd like this knife more if the finger grooves were smooth so they fit my fingers" vs "this knife is stupid, whoever designed it is an idiot". I think we do a great job being on the more positive side of feedback and I don't think making suggestions about how you'd like a design more is insulting at all. Maybe I just have thicker skin with all this, as an artist you're constantly critiqued and with art it's rarely as subtle and kind as we see it on this forum.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I'm not sure how my comments about modifying the Goddard handle design came across as insulting, but if I inadvertently offended anyone, I apologize. Since Spyderco uses Constant Quality Improvement (CQI) as one of its driving business philosophies, I thought that constructive commentary about how to potentially improve a knife design would be encouraged in this forum. I love the Goddard and have carried it for years, so I meant no disrespect to Mr. Goddard or Mr. Glesser. As a college professor, I'm used to people constructively critiquing my work to make it better. As long as critiques are done politely and professionally, I welcome them. I'm sorry if I somehow came across as impolite or unprofessional here.
--Socrates
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Takuan wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 am
I'm not sure how my comments about modifying the Goddard handle design came across as insulting, but if I inadvertently offended anyone, I apologize. Since Spyderco uses Constant Quality Improvement (CQI) as one of its driving business philosophies, I thought that constructive commentary about how to potentially improve a knife design would be encouraged in this forum. I love the Goddard and have carried it for years, so I meant no disrespect to Mr. Goddard or Mr. Glesser. As a college professor, I'm used to people constructively critiquing my work to make it better. As long as critiques are done politely and professionally, I welcome them. I'm sorry if I somehow came across as impolite or unprofessional here.
Sorry, no I did not mean you personally, I just used your post as an example. Most of us at one point or another have made criticisms or offered what are meant as constructive suggestions for someone else's design. Designs that have gone through many stages to get to the final form they are in and yet we still say "you know what would make it better?" after untold hours were already spent on the design. I feel that thing that we all do could come across as insulting, to some degree. We know Sal has a thick skin and encourages feed back, but I have no idea if other designers do.

Apologies for stepping all over your post.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

No worries, JRinFL. I appreciate your response.
--Socrates