"As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fharing45

Re: "As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Post by Fharing45 »

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:36 pm
The fluted Sal-benza! :savouring
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Pacific Salt with the LC200N, FFg, linerless FRN bidirectional scales, and titanium hardware does it for me.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

The Chaparral through all its incarnations has stayed true to its purpose.
For this reason it is my choice.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bolster,

Thanx for the thread. It does give us an idea of what our customers think is close to ideal for them.

Talkin' Story,

The Caly 3.5 is a very special design for me, keeping in mind that I'm biased. I'm looking forward to the FRN version of the 3.5, (which is designed to be screw construction), which I feel will be the ultimate variation of the concept. The Caly 3, and the 3.5 were designs of love. Kind of a very evolved and refined version of a design that I've been working on for many years. The Calypso, Caly 3, UKPK, Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 are an example of CQI, or Kaizen decades in their refinement.

Ergonomic, User friendly, maximum cut in a easily carried urban format. The "Urban" and "Squeak", and eventually the "Metropolitan are all offshoots of the concept as the concept, in various forms as they came into production over the years.

Hi David,

Yes it's a personal value, but that still gives me a greater understanding than I had before the thread. A small section of the market to be sure, but an honest vocal one which in itself has value, at least for me.

Hi JohnnyH,

Welcome to our forum

I hope you enjoy your time here, some very special folks and here.

Wrdrght,

Thanx much for the kinds word, We appreciate your appreciation, you are whom we are trying to serve.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really think the Caly3 is about as good as it gets. I am going to throw an outlier in here. I think the current Delica 4 is about right, also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

The Caly 3.5 is right there for me. The ergonomics, size, materials, etc… however, I tried two of them and they both had issues that couldn’t be overlooked, particularly at their price point. I would love to see this model produced by Golden or Taichung because it feels and looks incredible.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm pretty sure the Knifeworks exclusive Framelock Military with M4 + one G-10 scale is pretty gosh darn perfect.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Johnnyh wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 pm
For me, the Sage 5 LW the quintessential Spyderco folder. Love that thing!

Actually, yes, agree. It's another super-refined design. If it weren't for Caly, it'd be the Sage 5 LW for me. I value the low profile efficiency and deep carry of the Calys, but the S5LW has that lovely comp lock in a slim but sturdy LW package.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting question..

- I guess for me there are a few features a Spydie has to have as a foundation for getting close to perfection (does NOT mean that I would not still absolutely love models that do NOT offer those features, but we´re talking "perfection" here....)

+ Backlock
+ Relatively long edge and relatively thin and slicey blade in relation to the overall size
+ Not too heavy (does not necessarily have to be superlight though)
+ NON deep carry clip if larger than a Chap
(+ These days actually serrations ground just like on the Endela SE. But I won´t consider this aspect here)

- Now that said what models come to my mind?

+ Endura 4 ffg:
- Probably still the best EDC folder of all times and all brands for me. I would not change a single thing on my HAP 40 version (perfectly happy with PE in HAP 40 too!), but the most perfect version/folder would be the VG10, ffg, regular blade shape Endura with endela-ish serrations

+ Stretch 1 (disco´ed):
- Almost perfect for a knife WITH finger choil, and an amazing design! I prefer shorter and shallower choils, and the Stretch 1 has just this in the perfect form (why shorter and shallower choils? a) Places the hand closer to the edge when not choking up, b) gives me more control when choking up c) "Shallower" actually means wider radius of the choil. Good for larger hands imo)
- Why just "almost" perfect? If I am really, really nitpicky I´d want the handle just a tad wider in the front part where the index finger sits. The ergos are 100% perfect if one puts the thumb on the ramp, but if one like me rarely does just 99% ;)

+ Chaparral FRN
- Technically it can´t be "perfect" for me, since I prefer larger folders. But it is absolutely perfect for what it is - a (for me) tiny knife that for it´s size is extremely capable, extremely sturdy, an extremely good carry and extremely well made.
- Considering these things it becomes clear why I always advocate for a Chap XL...keep everything like it is (especially blade- and overall thinness), just "stretch" the thing... :smirk

- The already mentioned Caly 3.5 FRN as well as the Native Chief LW and the Stretch 2 XL SEcould very well become perfect Spydies for me too. As could a fictional FRN Siren... and actually, in the fixed blade realm, the upcoming (?) "More than Enuff".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

It's an interesting question because it's so subjective. I nominate the Watu. It's comfortable in hand, carries well, with a thin well-ground blade, compression lock, and that lovely wire clip... the only thing I would like to see changed is the hole under the clip (maybe a bit more chamfering?) because it snags on some pocket material.

For something more hand-filling, the Manix. On the ball-lock version, I'd add a bit of jimping on the rear spine of the handle to give some purchase when manipulating the lock.

The Kapara is very close as well, but I'd like some texture on the handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi David,

Yes it's a personal value, but that still gives me a greater understanding than I had before the thread. A small section of the market to be sure, but an honest vocal one which in itself has value, at least for me.

sal

In that case I'd have to say the Military and standard stainless handle Police. Being available for 25-30 years without major design changes beyond CQI tweaks means they have to be about as perfect as they can get. I guess the same could be said for the Delica/Endura but those have had more changes to the handle than a Military or standard Police.

Personally for me, it's still an Autonomy 1 with this blade change, so whenever you get around to making it let me know 😁

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I started to think about this question like other threads of my perfect folder. But that was not what you are asking. Then I thought of my favorite designs, but there always seem to be something I would change.
- Kapara - Grippier scales and a different lock so it doesn't slip out of your grip when closing.
- Gayle Bradley 2 - bigger cutout for linerlock access. Stronger detent
- Endura - I like the grooves, but I would move up the first bump to make it a 1 finger bump.
- Caly 3.5 - Screw construction. Bury the tip more.

But I think what you are looking for is as designed you would not change them a bit. I like to think of that as perfect for the design intentions with no changes.

I think for me that is the Manix 2 lightweight. Sure you could say screw construction, but that is incoming. For what it is, I don't think I would change a thing about it. There are models I prefer more, but as designed, it is near perfect.

I agree, Chaparral is up there too. As designed with intentions in mind, it is near perfect.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

Cruwear Tuff

I wouldn't change anything. Just bring them back.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:27 am
But I think what you are looking for is as designed you would not change them a bit. I like to think of that as perfect for the design intentions with no changes.

I think for me that is the Manix 2 lightweight. Sure you could say screw construction, but that is incoming. For what it is, I don't think I would change a thing about it. There are models I prefer more, but as designed, it is near perfect.

Yes, I can see how the Manix would be a contender. There's some commentary about how it could have more edge for its length, how the choil eats into the available space, and how it is a rather "tall" or "chunky" knife when pocketed. But changing those things might make it overall a lesser knife.

Addressing the thread in general: Several comments about how answers are necessarily individualistic and subjective. Well, yeah; and that's perfectly acceptable. I'm not asking anyone to take on the role of arbiter of Platonic perfection; but I am interested in where a plurality of opinion lies...and I'm also on the lookout for models I don't yet own, that get multiple mentions. For example, the Military, which I don't own. Being neither a fan of linerlocks nor large folders, I've never purchased one...but if a number of you mention it as near perfection, maybe I should give one a try!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

Stretch 2 is very close. Make it linerless in MC, and It will be "perfect" for me (+ a Lynch clip, of course).
Native V is also a contender.
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:40 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:27 am

Yes, I can see how the Manix would be a contender. There's some commentary about how it could have more edge for its length, how the choil eats into the available space, and how it is a rather "tall" or "chunky" knife when pocketed. But changing those things might make it overall a lesser knife.

For me the Manix 2 LW is pretty perfect for what it is.
But yes, I had to accept first that for me personally it is a rather small folder, but on the flipside with superior ergos and grip ootiond.

- Small because it does not offer much cutting edge, in fact not much more than my BM Minigriptillian did.
Would I want the blade to get longer for the I guess 3 mm or so (can't check right now) the space in the handle would allow for? Yes, sure, but it's really not a big thing.
Would I want it choil-less (if technically possible with a CBBL)? No. Would not be a Manix anymore without ts two equally good grip options

- Small for me also in carry.
Width in pocket does not bother me at all, but I like when a knife is "short" in pocket, and the Manix is (thank god it has no deep carry clip!!).
In the LW the combo of width and light weight also makes it very stable and "unfloppy" in pocket.
Actually the Manix for me carries a lot better than lets say a PM2. Especially due to the shape of the Manix handle end, which lets the hand slide by the knife in pocket easily.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The FRN Endura is as close to perfection as I can see a knife being when it comes to ergonomics and reliability which are the important features for me. I could use any of the steel variants quite happily including VG 10 as a last knife ever.

I'd still prefer to see a Cruwear model come out someday but HAP 40 and now K390 would probably be the ones I'd grab first if I could. Super Blue, V-Toku and VG 10 would also make me happy and still do on a rotating basis.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:27 am
The FRN Endura is as close to perfection as I can see a knife being when it comes to ergonomics and reliability which are the important features for me. I could use any of the steel variants quite happily including VG 10 as a last knife ever.

Agree 100% on this.