"As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bryan123

Re: "As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Post by bryan123 »

Since the best pocket knife is the one that is in your pocket, and the blade restriction length here is 2.5", I'm picking the Dragonfly 2 and the Roadie.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Police 4 K390
Fluted CF S90V Native 5.
CF S90V Chief

The stock S30V Shaman is as close to a perfect Base Model as I think it gets.

And the Dragonfly in all it's iterations as a small knife platform is pretty close to perfection. Only thing that could make it better is a G-10 PE Hawkbill in K390 or S90V.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hard to beat a native 5
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sage lightweight m4 BHQ model.
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

I vote native chief
Keljian

Post by Keljian »

Registered just to post here, long time reader, first time poster.

I’ve handled a lot of spyderco knives as I used to do a lot of sharpening for the Australian spyderco group on Facebook.

My first spyderco was a zdp delica. Spyderco wise I currently have a domino, a hap40 delica and (most recently) a s110v pm3.

The delica is a fine knife and has been my go to for years, literally my only complaint is the somewhat pointy back part of the blade (the bit that is a 90 degree angle)- this has destroyed a number of mobile phone screens over the knife’s life. Regardless of this, I have reached for it for years.

More recently I found myself looking for something that would hold an edge longer. I love the pm2 and have had a couple, but it is (as Nick Shabazz says) a bit murdery for an edc. The result was me getting a para 3 in s110v.

Early days yet, but so far I am really liking it. I have ordered a deep carry clip as it rides high in the pocket. Other than that, I really have no qualms. I really do love the compression lock. I am very tempted to get some flytanium scales, but I don’t want to add to the weight, it’s a well balanced unit.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Keljian:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's really hard to beat this knife. No customization and you get a great, iconic model that's got an improved lock, a combination of high end scale materials and a fantastic all around steel. This is easily the nicest, high quality knife I've handled from Spyderco right out of the box.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

I asked an AI what the perfect Spyderco is. Here’s what it came up with:
NGL, I am really digging the middle right.
:bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:25 am
That’s hilarious! I’m fond of the bottom left design.
-Nick :bug-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 am
PStone wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:25 am
[img]
That’s hilarious! I’m fond of the bottom left design.
Right on! It's like a LavaXL Wharncliffe.
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:30 pm
This is a rabbit hole question, it has more to do with everyone's personal preferences than how good the knife really is, because I guarantee you what's close to perfect for me will be totally different from what's close to perfect for many other people and visa versa.
I agree with this, so instead of plugging a particular model, I'm going to plug the build, fit and finish of a particular model. My plain jane ole bland vanilla Yojimbo 2. I have a good collection of Spyderco's, and all are nice, just as I expected when I put them in my cart and clicked go!

But this particular Yojimbo, MY Yojimbo is absolutely perfect! The centering, the lock up, the action, everything, you just can't find anything wrong with it! And the fact that it fits my hand perfectly doesn't hurt one bit. Golden hit it out of the park with this one! I know the Yojimbo isn't for everyone, and for anyone who actually doesn't care for this knife....you'd still be very impressed and appreciate the build quality after handling it, so hats off to the Golden crew!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Native 5 LW.
Shaman.
Dragonfly 2.

I wouldn't change a thing. I'd take more chamfered scales for the Native 5 LW, but that's it.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:01 pm
ImageImageOld Original Manix and new Siren . Dan
I like it…

I’ve always said the Siren is an awesome knife. Unfortunately I’ve never experienced an original backlock Manix but I really enjoy my Manix 2 XL, so much I bought another one.

Although the new Military with the compression lock may give them all a run for their money.
I wonder if Spyderco is going to make left hand versions.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Probably a Stretch2 FRN. I don’t have other variations but every time I hold and use mine it immediately reminds me of how Spyderco is different.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I like it…

I’ve always said the Siren is an awesome knife. Unfortunately I’ve never experienced an original backlock Manix but I really enjoy my Manix 2 XL, so much I bought another one.

Although the new Military with the compression lock may give them all a run for their money.
Dan those pictures are as beautiful as always! I am starting to like the Siren because of you. But as always ALL HAIL KING MANIX ( OG ) :winking-tongue
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I like it…

It would be great to see another lefty in the future Military and must say rather disappointed that the Para3 does not have one in the lineup. The Siren is such a great knife , feels great in hand and in pocket . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:08 pm
Hi Bolster,

Thanx for the thread. It does give us an idea of what our customers think is close to ideal for them.

Talkin' Story,

The Caly 3.5 is a very special design for me, keeping in mind that I'm biased. I'm looking forward to the FRN version of the 3.5, (which is designed to be screw construction), which I feel will be the ultimate variation of the concept. T

sal
It’s a wonderful design Sal but you might want to do something about that Seki backlock. It’s so frustrating when they develop blade play. I owned 3 Caly 3.5 in ZDP and they all came with significant vertical blade play from the factory. I had to sell two of them and only keep one for my collection. Too bad … I understand your loyality for the maker but maybe it’s time to move the Caly family to Taichung or to Golden.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

elena86 wrote:
It’s a wonderful design Sal but you might want to do something about that Seki backlock. It’s so frustrating when they develop blade play. I owned 3 Caly 3.5 in ZDP and they all came with significant vertical blade play from the factory. I had to sell two of them and only keep one for my collection. Too bad … I understand your loyality for the maker but maybe it’s time to move the Caly family to Taichung or to Golden.
Vertical play is baked in to many lockbacks and seldom (in my experience) gets worse; it’s either subtle or noticeable out of the box. The solution is easy: Make sure the knife is really sharp. Less pressure needed = less play you feel.

Lateral play can be a problem, with pinned construction not much you can do except maybe a prayer and a light hit to the pivot with a hammer.

The real answer to anyone very frustrated with the nuances of lockback is to pick another lock and avoid much of the shopping cart dice-rolling. It’s only mildly irritating to me but I’d rather keep my Persian, Caly’s, and the much anticipated Ayoob. The designs are worth it, IMHO.

I won’t speak for Spyderco but they have kept a lot of small shops fed for decades and maintained those relationships by not swapping production houses on models unless absolutely necessary. It’s also allowed them to do sprints and micro runs of very odd and lovely products without risking as much. Taking it all “in-house” and streamlining it’s model line sounds good in theory but it often creates boring results. Knives like the Caly were designed by and for aficionados. It likely wouldn’t exist at all if if not for these quirky relationships.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Blerv wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 am

The real answer to anyone very frustrated with the nuances of lockback is to pick another lock and avoid much of the shopping cart dice-rolling. It’s only mildly irritating to me but I’d rather keep my Persian, Caly’s, and the much anticipated Ayoob. The designs are worth it, IMHO.

I won’t speak for Spyderco but they have kept a lot of small shops fed for decades and maintained those relationships by not swapping production houses on models unless absolutely necessary. It’s also allowed them to do sprints and micro runs of very odd and lovely products without risking as much. Taking it all “in-house” and streamlining it’s model line sounds good in theory but it often creates boring results. Knives like the Caly were designed by and for aficionados. It likely wouldn’t exist at all if if not for these quirky relationships.
Well said, thank you. :clapping-hands
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001