"As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: "As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It’s important also for me to point out it’s a very gray area for there to be 1 perfect knife design because there’s fundamentally a variety of applications, size ranges and styles of fixed blade and folding knives that can be executed perfectly exclusive to that category. That’s what great about spyderco is they take so many different concepts and practical differences of knives and just max out they’re performance.
:bug-red-white
kobold

Post by kobold »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:36 pm
Yes, this and the fluted CF Native.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It can be only one. This bad boy !

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

kobold wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:55 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Agreed.
I've asked for a fluted CF Military but received no support.
kobold

Post by kobold »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:03 pm
kobold wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:55 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Agreed.
I've asked for a fluted CF Military but received no support.

tsk-tsk-tsk
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Shaman, hands down. Robust enough for hard use, ground well enough to slice, balanced, and easy on the pocket. Almost perfect size as well. I may not always put it in my pocket, but it's there more often than not.

If I have trouble choosing a knife for the day, I just grab a Shaman and I'm good!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

It's the Salt 2 and Pacific Salt LC200N for me. They are the closest to perfect I have found for my uses- the Salt 2 to just throw in the pocket and forget it for around town, and Pacific for trips outdoors or bigger tasks. The more Spyderco models I try, the more I am realizing that currently I just like Seki FRN back locks the most. I would really like to see a wharnie blade on the Pacific.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think the Chaparral is a pretty perfect design for what it is. I can't think of anything that would make the design itself better.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:04 pm
I think the Chaparral is a pretty perfect design for what it is. I can't think of anything that would make the design itself better.

Agreed. ...
... wait, serrations! :winking-tongue
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

GB1, Cruwear Tuff, Brouwer - all 'perfect' in most regards, but somehow not for me for one detail or another.

Right now it is probably the Schempp Bowie - which for me is perfect in its own unique way.

I am hoping to find me one 'perfect' back lock, but I am not in a hurry.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

First one to mind as I've been calling it "pocket perfection" for years: OG Chaparral.

Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

For me, with my XL paws, the Native Chief is my favorite personal knife.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have to go with Millie too. I gifted my late father a Digicam and he did yard projects, cleaned deer, etc and after he passed it would still shave arm hair and was not sharpened. Carries smaller than it is, big enough to tackle anything. Please don’t Comp Lock the Millie, sometimes greatness needs no improvements
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:20 pm
.... Please don’t Comp Lock the Millie, sometimes greatness needs no improvements
Has been discussed a lot already, but I don't hesitate to fully agree once more!

This thread shows again how popular a folder with a GOOD (=Spyderco) linerlock can be (the Millie) - and, while a comp.lock is of course nice too, imo it would take away a bit of what the Millie is and also some of its particular advantages for real outdoor "harder" use.

Just my layman 2c of course, but I personally still hope that a "comp.lock Millie" will be called what it rather is in my view: PM2 XL or Para 4.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are 3 Spyderco folders that come to mind as far as the company having it completely right the first time around. Those 3 models for me are the J.D. Smith, The Dodo and The C-44 Dyad model. Sure all 3 of those great models as good as they are indeed have room for improvement. But those 3 Spyderco models all from the GOLDEN ERA no less always impressed me in the performance sector. And those 3 models really impressed me immensely the first time I ever used them.

But it's kind of like the "Deacon" alluded to in his post>> that there are always improvements that could be made to most all of Spyderco's great folders. Very interesting thread to be sure.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The Chapparal FRN.

The only improvement that might be made is a slightly firmer detent.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 am
The Chapparal FRN.

The only improvement that might be made is a slightly firmer detent.

I think this is about the fifth time the Chap gets mentioned in this thread... I like that, though it is actually no surprise to me. It just IS that good for a small folder.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I guess I would add the Military too.

It’s the single most intuitive knife I have ever used.

All the control surfaces are within an inch of the pivot. You can deploy it, drop open it in a second, use it, close it and stow it, all while not having to pay much attention to what you are doing, which can be useful when you are otherwise occupied.

That is the beauty of the tip down carry and the liner lock.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 am

….The already mentioned Caly 3.5 FRN as well as the Native Chief LW and the Stretch 2 XL SEcould very well become perfect Spydies for me too. As could a fictional FRN Siren... and actually, in the fixed blade realm, the upcoming (?) "More than Enuff".
Hey Wartstein, you know, when I first brought the Siren prototype to Spyderco and they said they would like to make it, they asked me what handle material I had in mind. My strong preference was for FRN as that is what I prefer on all of my Salt knives. Weight, grip, and PRICE are all considerations that make that material a favorite. I knew that Spyderco never comes out of the gate making a new model in FRN (and the Siren lock issue was actually a good example why), but if people keep buying the design and it stays in the line up, it would be my dream to see the knife offered in an FRN version.

Honestly, two of the advantages (weight and grip) are almost non issues. The current g10 linerless Siren is already pretty darn light and the heavier FRN choice makes it plenty grippy. An FRN Siren would be FAR more economical though and I believe would appeal to a larger number of watermen, sailors and fishermen who need a quality rust proof knife but are not necessarily knife aficionados. Or even a guy like me who has been known to throw a knife in the ocean once every few years.

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Delica 4 FFG
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”