Caly 3.5 LW status

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meadowlark

Re: Caly 3.5 LW status

Post by Meadowlark »

sal wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:38 pm
Thanx Bolster.

It's just my opinion, but I think that Americans need to think hard about China in general. We also need to build more in the US.

sal
Definitely interested in your perspective if you're willing to explain that thought a bit.

Thanks for pushing the Caly LW, too!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My plain Caly 3 in VG10 is the knife that made me appreciate the forward choil. I'd be happy with just a LW version with screw construction. Personally, I think it would be cool in Cobalt Blue FRN and SPY27 steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Meadowlark,

Regarding China, In general, I try to avoid politics on this forum. By devaluing their currency to a very low point, 6 Yuan / US dollar, they have taken over the manufacturing for the world. Few can compete against that valuation, and few can not be seduced by the low prices. This creates an unfair trade imbalance, giving China all of the advantages in world competition. Their manufacturing skills are on a par with the first world, so in my opinion, I would prefer a more realistic valuation of their Yuan. Yes, we would pay more for our goods made in China, but from a fair market point of view, I think it would be better in the long run. I really don't want to go more into the politics of this, what I want is for more Americans to take a closer look at what's going on.

sal
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

I understand and I appreciate your perspective. Thank you.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

sal wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:57 pm
Hi Meadowlark,

Regarding China, In general, I try to avoid politics on this forum. By devaluing their currency to a very low point, 6 Yuan / US dollar, they have taken over the manufacturing for the world. Few can compete against that valuation, and few can not be seduced by the low prices. This creates an unfair trade imbalance, giving China all of the advantages in world competition. Their manufacturing skills are on a par with the first world, so in my opinion, I would prefer a more realistic valuation of their Yuan. Yes, we would pay more for our goods made in China, but from a fair market point of view, I think it would be better in the long run. I really don't want to go more into the politics of this, what I want is for more Americans to take a closer look at what's going on.

sal
This is as nicely as this can be stated. I would go much further, but don’t want to step beyond the bounds of this board. All I can say is, Sal, I am grateful your company is doing what it is doing, and I will gladly pay more for any decisions you feel it necessary to make. Take care, all.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

...:eyes...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

When a Caly 3.5 is available in FRN I will most likely get one. It’s humorous to me that the inexpensive FRN scales suit my hands better than fancy CF, Ti, or G-10 do.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

My most used knife is my Heinnie Haynes UKPK, it's beat out the pm2, para3, Delica, Kapara, Chaparral, Native 5, dragonfly, and Manix 2 for me.

I'd imagine I would really like a Caly 3.5, which looks like a larger locking version of it.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

buckleys wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:23 pm
My most used knife is my Heinnie Haynes UKPK, it's beat out the pm2, para3, Delica, Kapara, Chaparral, Native 5, dragonfly, and Manix 2 for me.

I'd imagine I would really like a Caly 3.5, which looks like a larger locking version of it.
That's one **** of a list of knives the UKPK beat out. What about that knife makes it so good?
Nate

Post by Nate »

buckleys wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:23 pm

I’m with you man, except I also have a Caly 3 and 3.5, and the UKPK is still king for me. Plan to get the 3.5 lw as well for sure, but don’t know if will stop the UKPK from dominating carry time.
:spyder:
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I can't speak for buckleys, but there's just an elegant simplicity to the UKPK and the Urban. Incredibly light and no muss or fuss and feels so great in the hand. May sound odd but I almost view them as a Spyderco sodbuster...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm with you on the love for the UKPK. It has really taken over.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:57 pm
...Their manufacturing skills are on a par with the first world...

My wife would agree. She makes a variety of products, some of which are mfgd in China. She would agree that the capability is there, but in her opinion, she has to put in extra time and work and oversight, insisting that the quality remain high, and do constant inspections, and be willing to throw out batches where the quality sags. In her experience, she can't just say "make it to this standard" and expect that it will be, whereas other countries she works with, she can more or less set the expectation, and it will be met with a minimum of fuss. In her view, her China-made products make her work a lot harder than products made in other countries. But if she really cracks the whip, argues with the factory bosses, and goads the factory owners, and is totally hands-on (with lots of flights to China) she says the quality can be comparable. Not consistent, but at its best, comparable.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I want to add a lightweight folding knife to my day-hike lumbar-pack kit. Currently carrying a Manix LW, but I really really want to replace it with a LW Caly 3.5, which seems like it might be a near perfect folding outdoor knife...for me at least...!

While I have sworn off VG-10 (not that it's bad, just that I have lots of it), if it were the only choice in the Caly LW, I'd have to buy it regardless.
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If you want something with a smaller footprint light, but you just don't want to go without some extra blade length, the Caly 3.5 is for you! I will take this one in all configurations.

What a great frickin design.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere but, considering how dear this model seems to be to Mr. Glesser, it'd be pretty neat to first see it in spy 27 / cobalt blue frn.

Seems a fitting tribute to reintroduce one of his most beloved designs in Spydercos proprietary steel, no?

Can't wait!
my_spyder

Post by my_spyder »

This is by far the second most anticipated model for me. (By the way, the first is gb3), I really like the frn pattern on Chaparral even though I just saw it in the photo, really looking forward to it, hope Sal will bring us more good news.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Puzzling to me is that Spyderco considers the LW Caly a "niche" product:
sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:37 am
...I believe the design is sound and will serve a particular niche market...

I'm gormless regards how the LW Native is mainstream, and the LW Sage is mainstream, but the LW Caly, apparently niche.
sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:37 am
...I need to inform you that this is the original maker of the Caly line....

But the lock-rock is fixed, yes?
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I love seeing that the Caly designs are maybe not as niche as I thought they were, may they continue to grow in popularity. there certainly has been a good amount of dialogue on this forum about the model, but I understand what Sal means by the calys serving a certain niche in the knife market. the calys are fairly slender and size-efficient handles with very slicey blades, and it feels like a large portion of the knife market leans towards larger, “hard use” and over built kind of pocket knives.
:bug-red-white
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Still very excited for this one.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005