Caly 3.5 LW status

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meadowlark

Caly 3.5 LW status

Post by Meadowlark »

Hello Sal,

Hoping there's a chance this will make it's debut sometime this year.

Has a steel and frn color been chosen?

Is the queue still pretty far out?

I appreciate it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Caly 3.5 LW status

Post by Doc Dan »

We are all hoping for this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:25 pm
We are all hoping for this.

We are indeed.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Hoping too!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1
olywa

Post by olywa »

A 'gotta have' for me as well.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Sign me up for one of each! Take my money. 👐 💵
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Is it fair to describe the Caly 3.5 LW as a longer, LW version of the Sage 4? If so, I'm interested. I love my Sage 2 from an ergonomic point of view. Having a little more cutting edge is never a bad thing.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 am
Is it fair to describe the Caly 3.5 LW as a longer, LW version of the Sage 4? If so, I'm interested. I love my Sage 2 from an ergonomic point of view. Having a little more cutting edge is never a bad thing.
Maybe?? I have never owned a Sage model. I have played with the Sage 5 LW in store at least 3 times, but have never pulled the trigger on it. The Caly seems to be considerably thinner not just longer. For a leaf shape blade, it is rare that you do not end up with a very tall footprint in your pocket. The Caly with leaf shape has a very slender profile.

This is an old thread comparing the Sage to the Caly.
viewtopic.php?t=49102
The Deacon posted this pic which I believe is a Caly 3, but you can kinda get the point.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:22 am
viewtopic.php?t=49102
The Deacon posted this pic which I believe is a Caly 3, but you can kinda get the point.
Thanks for the link and pic. So the ramp is steeper than the Sage and the handle is not as tall. If only there was a larger Sage 2. If that knife is an homage to the Small Sebenza, I'd like to see a Spyderco homage to the Large Sebenza (I know—the homage is to the lock, not the knife). Maybe one day. Regardless, the Caly 3.5 looks interesting.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:35 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:22 am
viewtopic.php?t=49102
Thanks for the link and pic. So the ramp is steeper than the Sage and the handle is not as tall. If only there was a larger Sage 2. If that knife is an homage to the Small Sebenza, I'd like to see a Spyderco homage to the Large Sebenza (I know—the homage is to the lock, not the knife). Maybe one day. Regardless, the Caly 3.5 looks interesting.
That's right! The ramp is taller. The Sage is similar to the Chaparral and Manix with it's blade shape. Caly has a slightly taller ramp, but not as tall as the Delica/Endura or the Para families. Much slimmer handle than most models.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 am
Well the 3.5 is a longer version of the Caly 3. The sage is a different model, but it’s biggest difference from the Caly 3 overall is that it’s considerably wider, so you could say it’s a bit more heavy use. The calys still have perfect ergonomics, just about as good as a slender knife can be, another upside is they take up less space. I look at them as the perfect urban/modern lifestyle folding knife, just a really well rounded knife for everyone.
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

It's still in queue, but with everyone so busy, it doesn't have a date yet. I'd like to see it go as well as it'm biased, it's my design. The design began with the Calypso, and I think it is the most evolved and refined of the family lineage. It's a fairly large blade for the carry size.

Since it will be FRN, I think other steel variations will be possible, without super high prices, depending on the maker.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 pm
, depending on the maker.

sal
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wasn't on my radar until Sal said possible steel variations depending upon the maker.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wait, does this mean the maker is not yet determined or that it could change after the initial release? I thought that each model had its maker and that was "set in stone". Of course, I don't really know much about the production side of things, but I'm always curious.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 pm
Wait, does this mean the maker is not yet determined or that it could change after the initial release? I thought that each model had its maker and that was "set in stone". Of course, I don't really know much about the production side of things, but I'm always curious.
I think Sal has mentioned the maker going through some difficult times. At least for the Caly 3.5 CF ZDP189. I would assume they would be the first choice, but that may not be an option for them. Potential maker change if that works out best for everyone involved is my guess.

This is great news. If you like a larger blade, but prefer a smaller footprint for EDC, I literally don't know if there is a better option than the Caly 3.5. My dream would be able to see this model in FRN and G10 as regular production with exclusives galore. It is extremely deserving of that.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:20 pm
p_atrick wrote:

This is great news. If you like a larger blade, but prefer a smaller footprint for EDC, I literally don't know if there is a better option than the Caly 3.5.....

If you´re talking about blade on knives with an actual finger choil(so blade part of a choil included) I too don´t think there is a better blade to handle ratio. The Stretch 1 comes very close, so does the new Stretch XL, but the Caly 3.5 still has a better ratio, and I do like that!!

If one is looking at "just" real cutting edge, of course there are "better" options (with EDGE to handle ratio) - I figure the Tenacious could be one for example.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:38 pm
JSumm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:20 pm
p_atrick wrote:

This is great news. If you like a larger blade, but prefer a smaller footprint for EDC, I literally don't know if there is a better option than the Caly 3.5.....

If you´re talking about blade on knives with an actual finger choil(so blade part of a choil included) I too don´t think there is a better blade to handle ratio. The Stretch 1 comes very close, so does the new Stretch XL, but the Caly 3.5 still has a better ratio, and I do like that!!

If one is looking at "just" real cutting edge, of course there are "better" options (with EDGE to handle ratio) - I figure the Tenacious could be one for example.
Definitely, but I'm simply talking about overall footprint. Slender handle. Slender leaf shape blade. Almost tiny, then wack! It's open and look at all that edge!
Just look at it against the Native 5. First pic with the Native 5 on top. According to Spyderco specs, slightly more edge than the PM2. I do not have my PM2 to compare anymore.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I really love how the 3.5’s blade arches forward at a dropped angle like that, makes the knife feel a lil Ed schempp style, and effectively aligns with the wrist in the right way.
:bug-red-white