Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stewdee55

Manix

Post by stewdee55 »

I love my Manix 2 and XL knives. I'm hoping Spyderco will do some new updated versions with high end blade steels and handle materials. Maybe even do a mini me Manix version. 😅
Ez556

Re: Manix

Post by Ez556 »

The idea of a mini-Manix has been tossed around on here for a while, I think it'd be a cool little knife! They've done plenty of different steels, but I'd love to see some kind of special handle; maybe contoured, maybe machined aluminum, maybe mother-of-pearl inlays, I could see a lot of really interesting stuff working with the Manix. The Manix lightweight is my favorite knife hands down, and I'd always be interested in seeing more translucent colors!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

stewdee55 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm
I love my Manix 2 and XL knives. I'm hoping Spyderco will do some new updated versions with high end blade steels and handle materials. Maybe even do a mini me Manix version. 😅
There are fairly frequent sprint runs and exclusives if you keep your eye out for them. I have a G10 Manix 2 in M390 and it's great.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

stewdee55 wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Well, there'lll be a Magnacut Manix LW and the LW generally will switch to screwed construction.

As for a Mini Manix: I'd be for more CBBL knives hands down.
But said it before: A Mini Manix for me would have to have a handle end like the Sage, so flat and no "hook" / "beak". The "hook" works great on the "regular" Manix even for larger hands, but on a Mini Manix it would shorten the grip area too much, so larger hands would basically have to use the finger choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Welcome to the forum!!!

Manix2's with Cruwear and M390...both with g10 grips and steel liners.

I not a fan of the cheap FRN plastic grips.....think it's called something else on the Manix.

stewdee55

Post by stewdee55 »

Oh yeah! Love those 2 Manix. I'm a lefty so I lean towards Ambidextrous designs. I've parked my Benchmade Axis locks in favor of the Syderco ball locks. Also I prefer the flat grinds of the Spidey.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bone handled, stainless steel bolstered Manix, anyone? Rex 45, CruWear? Maybe an uncaged ball lock (BBL) in this configuration. Or a stainless cage for the CBBL.
Last edited by Enactive on Thu May 19, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:44 pm
I'd be for more CBBL knives hands down.
Chuck James wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 pm
Manix2's with Cruwear...
...with g10 grips and steel liners.

YES!
Both Cruwear and Magnacut would surely get my attention.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Chuck James wrote:
I not a fan of the cheap FRN plastic grips.....think it's called something else on the Manix.
it's frcp. i don't think it has a cheap feeling, personally. i really love mine and the texturing is great. the only thing i don't like is those pins. so glad they're going away.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome! the manix is my favorite knife too. not just my favorite spyderco, but my favorite knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like the Manix 2, especially the light weights. The one I like the best, however, is the back lock linerless G10 model. What a tank! If Gibbs had used this knife instead of a Z*** T******** he would not have retired!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chuck James wrote:

Also disagree on the "cheap" plastic grips thing... yes, technically they ARE cheaper as soon as the expensive FRCP molds are made and enough knives get sold to ammortize their cost and they might FEEL more "plasticy" than G10

But actually both G10 and FRCP are composite materials - the former fiberglass and epoxy, the latter fiberglass and co polymer (I think, did not look that up right now). Don´t know why one should be "cheap plastic", the other not?

Personally I think FRCP / FRN are ingenious handle materials: Light, but really strong (in some ways stronger than G10, see here viewtopic.php?t=89908&start=80#p1532157 for example) most times better contoured and better textured and even linerless FRCP (on my Manix 2 LWs) and FRN hold up easily to any use and abuse I throw at them...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

stewdee55 wrote:

Since new members often wonder about this: Should your follow up posts not show up here (immediately, eventually they WILL): See here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927#p1496705
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I’m with Chuck James on this one. But first off i find nothing really “bad” on the manix Lw its a good knife i use them as beaters because the are expendible to me.

But as a Manix fan from the very beginning ( I have 17 at this moment) i keep telling people and spyderco one thing.
The manix was build as a hard use tank style knife , the original Manix is legendary in that line. If you wanted a lw cutting lazer you bought the pm1 if you wanted a Tigertank that cuts true everything and keeps on going for the rest of you’re life you bought the original Manix or mini manix!

Even Sal and Eric went to far down the “ light weight hole” if you ask me because if you ask them to bring back the og manix with a group of forummembers for years they still did not really gave in because they gave us the manix 2 lockback but trown away the liners withing a second. Yes liners are heavy yes they cost more ,…. But that was never the point.
The cut the story short a mini manix would be fine but go to original essence en keep away from the lw philosophy crap because there are a trillion more lightweights in the product line but there very very few real strong folders left.
Last edited by apollo on Fri May 20, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:13 am
I’m with Chuck James on this one. But first off i find nothing really “bad” on the manix Lw.

But as a Manix fan from the very beginning i keep telling people and spyderco one thing.
The manix was build as a hard use tank style knife , the original Manix is legendary in that line. If you wanted a lw cutting lazer you bought the pm1 if you wanted a Tigertank that cuts true everything and keeps on going for the rest of you’re life you bought the original Manix or mini manix!

Even Sal and Eric went to far down the “ light weight hole” if you ask me because if you ask them to bring back the og manix with a group of forummembers for years they still did not really gave in because they gave us the manix 2 lockback but trown away the liners withing a second. Yes liners are heavy yes they cost more ,…. But that was never the point.
The cut the story short a mini manix would be fine but go to original essence en keep away from the lw crap because there are a trillion more lightweights in the product line but there very very few real strong folders left.
I totally respect that you just like beefy folders but honestly: What is the task that the lockback Manix with its superthick (though, yes, linerless) G10 scales and the thicker than the CBBL Manix' blade could not take?! :thinking

"LW crap" ... well, yes... no offense, but I really beat on my Manix LW, pry with it and so on: No problem whatsoever. As said: In some ways FRCP/FRN is stronger than G10, and how one can call a material and construction "crap" that combine this strength with that lightness and more advantages is beyond me...

Out of honest intersest: What ARE your "hard use" folder task that the lockback Manix or even the LW could not take?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: To be clear: I do like G10, I do like liners, and would never call THAT "crap". It is not, but FRCP us neither.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:23 am
apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:13 am
I’m with Chuck James on this one. But first off i find nothing really “bad” on the manix Lw.

But as a Manix fan from the very beginning i keep telling people and spyderco one thing.

The cut the story short a mini manix would be fine but go to original essence en keep away from the lw crap because there are a trillion more lightweights in the product line but there very very few real strong folders left.
I totally respect that you just like beefy folders but honestly: What is the task that the lockback Manix with its superthick (though, yes, linerless) G10 scales and the thicker than the CBBL Manix' blade could not take?! :thinking

"LW crap" ... well, yes... no offense, but I really beat on my Manix LW, pry with it and so on: No problem whatsoever. As said: In some ways FRCP/FRN is stronger than G10, and how one can call a material and construction "crap" that combine this strength with that lightness and more advantages is beyond me...

Out of honest intersest: What ARE your "hard use" folder task that the lockback Manix or even the LW could not take?
First off thank you for letting me see an error in my post. With the light weight crap i point to the philosophy of oh no not a knife that weighs over 2 ounces. i am not strong enough to carry that around idea that is so popular these days … That drama is pointed out in every video of a knife review and i am sick of it .. knives used to be reviewd on how good they cut and how strong they are build. Now the only thing they do is put the knife on a scale and complain , they do not even cut stuff anymore!

So the crap thing was not towards the frcp handle. So i changed that now in my og post.
( Because is like frcp)

As i say i use the lw and find it a good knife but not in line of the original nor the g10 versions of the manix 2. And my dear friend the lw handle will fail long before the original manix with liners does have you ever seen the old tests the original manix went true at coldsteels hands? Even they where suprized how strong that knife was against there triad lock knives!

The frcp will not handle that kind of power like the old one did Not without spyderco giving in and adding full steel liners under the frcp. ( An idea i welcome because i love the colors of the frcp ) And as a knife user i can say yes you do not need that kind of strenght often but i rather have it and never need it then need it and dont have it. And let us face it spyderco says it builds knives for everyone so why do us lovers of heavy knives need to be happy and play along for the idea for yet another lw version while the essence of that model is that it is supposed not to be that way ? I think i need to complain as much as i can over this until spyderco finally gives in and gives us another tank manix because i know many people who want one like that.😝 Maybe if they really never want to build us an lockback Manix with liners anymore spyderco could still build a manix with the original blade shape, (original mini manix and manix 2 have other shapes ) the cbbl lock nice and thick liners and frcp handles in a nice color so that at least everyone has a win? :cheap-sunglasses
Last edited by apollo on Fri May 20, 2022 7:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Here are some pics of my well loved edc manixes.

Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

apollo wrote: The manix was build as a hard use tank style knife , the original Manix is legendary in that line...
... because there are a trillion more lightweights in the product line but there very very few real strong folders left.
Did the original Manix have thicker blade stock? Because the current models have fairly thin blade stock, thinner than the PM2 at least (which I love, it means they slice better!). It's definitely a beefy knife made for work, but of Spyderco's current Golden line I'd give the tank moniker to the Shaman. It's got the blade stock thickness and handle construction to back it up! With really most of Spydercos knives, between the extremely thin tips (great thing) and opening hole (also great) potentially being a weak spot in the blade, I've never held any model and thought that the handle would fail before the blade would under any usage I can imagine. In average everyday usage, a lighter folder makes more sense than a stronger folder, not to say knives should be weaker, I just don't need a "tank" to open packages and slice my lunch.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am in that camp that mostly carries around a lightweight. I love them for EDC knowing I can pull them out for any dirty job I may need. Just a in my head thing, they just scream to be used. I also believe that I currently have plenty of Light Weight optons to choose from in Spyderco's lineup. Except for that darn Native Chief LW. I do wish we would see more G10, Titanium, Micarta, etc. scales in new or existing models. I would like to even see something like the old Kopas and their scale material come back to some different models. I think Spyderco makes a variety of sizes for the working person. May be time to share the love with with the heavier scales to balance out the catalog and add some variety. I can definitely see the frustration there. Hopefully we will see a Cruwear Micarta standard production Manix 2 sometime in the future.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005