Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Manix

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:27 pm
it wasn't a good seller, but i think that was because people were waiting for a different steel. i had one in my hand and considered buying it. i wish i had, but i wasn't really "collecting" at the time and i didn't need it or like it better than the m2lw i already had. i really think the steel choice and thickness were the main detractors for this one. maybe someone will do an exclusive and we'll get to see if it was the steel.
One thing to consider as far as sales , the Manix also had a hefty price tag when first released . CPMS30V was the top steel offering in Stainless at that time the selection of offerings now are phenomenal. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:27 pm
it wasn't a good seller, but i think that was because people were waiting for a different steel. i had one in my hand and considered buying it. i wish i had, but i wasn't really "collecting" at the time and i didn't need it or like it better than the m2lw i already had. i really think the steel choice and thickness were the main detractors for this one. maybe someone will do an exclusive and we'll get to see if it was the steel.
The trouble with that version was not the steel. The knife was only made because we forum members asked for the return of the lockback manix. So i do not think spyderco expected it to outsell the normal Manix 2.

The only thing i think it was not selling good enough is because the knife did not turn out as most of us wanted. Spyderco just made the native 5 g10 without liners and thought it was also the way to go on that manix. So for me the normal manix 2 g10 with its liners is superior to that version.

So the problem is we forum members are a special breed if we want something we want it to perfection. And skipping the liners and dropping the weight down made the knife not a replica of the old one. So stubborn folk like me did not buy it because if it doesn’t walk like a duck or talk like a duck it sure as **** aint no duck :squinting-tongue

And believe me if the knife was made with liners and the thicker blade i would have bought at least 3 because i just could not sleep anymore before i had one to use , one for back up and on as a safe queen. :flushed
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stewdee,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
stewdee55

Post by stewdee55 »

Micarta Manix 2 would be sweet. Until then, my smooth G10 is pretty nice..
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:03 am
Chuck James wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 pm

I not a fan of the cheap FRN plastic grips.....think it's called something else on the Manix.

Also disagree on the "cheap" plastic grips thing... yes, technically they ARE cheaper as soon as the expensive FRCP molds are made and enough knives get sold to ammortize their cost and they might FEEL more "plasticy" than G10

But actually both G10 and FRCP are composite materials - the former fiberglass and epoxy, the latter fiberglass and co polymer (I think, did not look that up right now). Don´t know why one should be "cheap plastic", the other not?

Personally I think FRCP / FRN are ingenious handle materials: Light, but really strong (in some ways stronger than G10, see here viewtopic.php?t=89908&start=80#p1532157 for example) most times better contoured and better textured and even linerless FRCP (on my Manix 2 LWs) and FRN hold up easily to any use and abuse I throw at them...
I refer to the FRN as cheap plastic because it has alot flex when I used it in my day to day work. Not a feel I like, when I bury my blade into something and go to work. I do not experience this flex when using a G10 version with steel liners. Even my Native Chief with only G10 and no liners does not flex like cheap FRN handles.

Do I use my knives way beyond what they are designed for....Yep...I sure do, but I use them all the same way. The cheap FRN plastic doesn't make my cut. :grin-big eyes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:23 am
apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:13 am
First off thank you for letting me see an error in my post. With the light weight crap i point to the philosophy of oh no not a knife that weighs over 2 ounces. i am not strong enough to carry that around idea that is so popular these days … That drama is pointed out in every video of a knife review and i am sick of it .. knives used to be reviewd on how good they cut and how strong they are build. Now the only thing they do is put the knife on a scale and complain , they do not even cut stuff anymore!

So the crap thing was not towards the frcp handle. So i changed that now in my og post.
( Because is like frcp)

As i say i use the lw and find it a good knife but not in line of the original nor the g10 versions of the manix 2. And my dear friend the lw handle will fail long before the original manix with liners does have you ever seen the old tests the original manix went true at coldsteels hands? Even they where suprized how strong that knife was against there triad lock knives!

The frcp will not handle that kind of power like the old one did Not without spyderco giving in and adding full steel liners under the frcp. ( An idea i welcome because i love the colors of the frcp ) And as a knife user i can say yes you do not need that kind of strenght often but i rather have it and never need it then need it and dont have it. And let us face it spyderco says it builds knives for everyone so why do us lovers of heavy knives need to be happy and play along for the idea for yet another lw version while the essence of that model is that it is supposed not to be that way ? I think i need to complain as much as i can over this until spyderco finally gives in and gives us another tank manix because i know many people who want one like that.😝 Maybe if they really never want to build us an lockback Manix with liners anymore spyderco could still build a manix with the original blade shape, (original mini manix and manix 2 have other shapes ) the cbbl lock nice and thick liners and frcp handles in a nice color so that at least everyone has a win? :cheap-sunglasses

Hey Apollo,

thanks for your detailed reply! I see your points now ! Here are some of mine, referring to yours:

- you tube knife "reviewers":
Generally I am totally with you. Most of these guys are at best "first impressions in hand-guys" - which would be fine (though not really interesting...) if they´d say so (some do, to be fair).
And yes, how good a knife actually cuts in various tasks or how the ergos REALLY are when not just gently holding the thing are often times neglected and a slightly off centered blade is much more "important".

- Weight:
Well, there are scenarios where I really like very light folders: Climbing, mountaineering, carry in wide, floppy pockets when being active for example.
For "normal EDC" though I too prefer a linered Endura (for you certainly still a very light knife anyway ;) over a linerless Pac Salt

- .Advocating for heavier, beefier knives:
As said: Perfectly fine with me! In my previous post I was just and mainly replying to your calling FRCP / FRN "crap" - at least that´s how I read it, but you explained and corrected me anyway and I see now what you mean!

- Strength of linerless FRCP:
Of course linerless FRCP can´t take what linered G10 can, no doubt! And of course one can develope tests where the former breaks way sooner than the latter.
I still think though that even in really hard, but realistic folder tasks FRCP will be still strong enough (and the fat, though unlinered, G10 of the lockback Manix anyway) - at least in my use it is, and I think I do not baby my Manix LW at all.
BUT, as said: I fully understand that it is just confidence inspiring and in a way a cool experience to have a folder with that "indestructible feel" in hand... :smlling-eyes :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I will say that if a linerless G10 backlock Manix is anything like the Native Chief, which is also linerless G10, it will still be very solid. The Chief is very solidly built, with less 'internal' parts (liners) to potentially trap moisture and possibly develop corrosion.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 am
I will say that if a linerless G10 backlock Manix is anything like the Native Chief, which is also linerless G10, it will still be very solid. The Chief is very solidly built, with less 'internal' parts (liners) to potentially trap moisture and possibly develop corrosion.

Jim
I think the Backlock Manix must have even thicker G10 slabs than the Chief (had the former very briefly, but never a Chief, so can't say with 100% certainty)). And it has a thicket blade
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:10 am

Hey Apollo,

thanks for your detailed reply! I see your points now !
As said: Perfectly fine with me! In my previous post I was just and mainly replying to your calling FRCP / FRN "crap" - at least that´s how I read it, but you explained and corrected me anyway and I see now what you mean!
Hi Wartstein. Yeah i really did not see my error at first.
I have trouble concentrating the last few days due to a medical thing giving me alot of pain and i really did not see my error in my original text. ( And it also makes me a little bit of a sharp edge :flushed ) I am glad you corrected me so fast because nothing spyderco makes is crap for me :tonque-out.

And i really understand everything you point out. I even join you’re opinion in most of the things.
Its just so **** frustrating if you love a knife so much and you want it to return so badly but deep inside you know it is never going to happen anymore. Sad thing is they brought back the chinook with liners not so very long before they made that lockback manix 2. So i got so hyped when they finally gave in and started on the new lockback manix2 but when they made that call of making it a totally different knife. It felt like a stake right true the heart in a way :squinting-tongue
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:38 am
James Y wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 am

Jim
I think the Backlock Manix must have even thicker G10 slabs than the Chief (had the former very briefly, but never a Chief, so can't say with 100% certainty)). And it has a thicket blade

The back lock Manix’s G10 scales must be really thick, then, because the Chief’s G10 is darned solid. Before I received my Chief, I kind of imagined the linerless G10 scales to be somewhat thin, like on the Cold Steel Broken Skull, which is also linerless G10. And even that is deceptively strong. But the Chief’s handle scales are far more solid than the Broken Skull’s.

Jim
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I will buy the Manix or XL version if they are made as a back lock. I tried the CBBL and couldn't warm to it.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:46 am
Yes the bladstock is a big difference.
But since the blade is so wide the original is still a fenomenale slicer.
Here is a quick pic left the manix xl right my og manix user.
Yeesh, that's huge! Yeah, I can see where it would be disappointing to see that Manix go from that to what the current Manix XL offers.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:02 pm
apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:46 am
Yes the bladstock is a big difference.
But since the blade is so wide the original is still a fenomenale slicer.
Here is a quick pic left the manix xl right my og manix user.
Yeesh, that's huge! Yeah, I can see where it would be disappointing to see that Manix go from that to what the current Manix XL offers.
It is indeed disappointing although i learned to love the g10 manix 2 and the XL even though the original will always be a step above. ( I do love them even more when i customize them and make them heavier)

But the Lw and that lockback manix 2 are just to different for me. Although the manix 2 lw is a very good knife and i use it regularly i can not give it the respect it deserves as it feel so invaluable to me if i look over all the other manixes i have, its like the spare tire in the trunk with a black steel rim it works yeah but nothing more. (And spyderco has always done “more then that in the past” )
And yeah that lockback manix 2 without liners is probably also a superb knife. But the disappointment was to great for me to even think about buying that one. I still get shivers thinking about when i read about the design changes they implemented in that one.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Lockback Magnacut Manix 2 Salt . If lightweight, then FRN > FRCP , screws and not pinned. If G10 then linerless like the Native.

It would sell so fast I’d have to preorder now lol.
Just one more knife...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

apollo wrote:
With the light weight crap i point to the philosophy of oh no not a knife that weighs over 2 ounces. i am not strong enough to carry that around idea that is so popular these days … That drama is pointed out in every video of a knife review and i am sick of it .. knives used to be reviewd on how good they cut and how strong they are build. Now the only thing they do is put the knife on a scale and complain , they do not even cut stuff anymore!

I am a proponent of "light weight crap," and seeking light weight in a knife has nothing to do with physical strength, though that is usually how it is misrepresented. To say it's a matter of not being strong enough to physically carry a folding knife is silly.

My desire for light weight has to do with my ethos of ultrlight backpacking, which says: "For every ounce I don't carry, I can walk farther in a day." By overlooking ounces here and there, you can quickly add pounds to your pack and take miles (and enjoyment) off your daily.

When I'm not hiking, I like heavy knives just fine, and carry them. But when going for distance, I rely on low-ounce knives. When you combine the desire for light weight with the increased importance of a knife in the back-country (or desert, where I live), carrying a sturdy, lightweight, well-designed knife makes lots of sense.

My current backpack lightweight carries are either a modded Mule or a Bradley Air, at 2.4 and 1.4 oz respectively. Will likely switch the latter for a LW Caly when it becomes available.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I really think there is room for every variation of the Manix , it’s great we can mix it up for whatever needs may be . I only have one lightweight at the moment but do plan to add to my collection and they perfect for some of my applications. I see exactly where you are coming from using a Manix 2 lwt. hiking , makes perfect sense to me . As an auditor I walked an average of 2 to 4 miles a day . Pushing a cart loaded a PC and other tools of the trade so when I tried the Manix 2 the weight savings in many ways was a blessing . Having variations of this design speaks volumes Spyderco’s way of thinking . The design isn’t in a box , it’s open to evolving to a variety of needs to the user . :) Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
apollo

Post by apollo »

Bolster wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm
apollo wrote:
With the light weight crap i point to the philosophy of oh no not a knife that weighs over 2 ounces. i am not strong enough to carry that around idea that is so popular these days … That drama is pointed out in every video of a knife review and i am sick of it .. knives used to be reviewd on how good they cut and how strong they are build. Now the only thing they do is put the knife on a scale and complain , they do not even cut stuff anymore!

I am a proponent of "light weight crap," and seeking light weight in a knife has nothing to do with physical strength, though that is usually how it is misrepresented. To say it's a matter of not being strong enough to physically carry a folding knife is silly.

My desire for light weight has to do with my ethos of ultrlight backpacking, which says: "For every ounce I don't carry, I can walk farther in a day." By overlooking ounces here and there, you can quickly add pounds to your pack and take miles (and enjoyment) off your daily.

When I'm not hiking, I like heavy knives just fine, and carry them. But when going for distance, I rely on low-ounce knives. When you combine the desire for light weight with the increased importance of a knife in the back-country (or desert, where I live), carrying a sturdy, lightweight, well-designed knife makes lots of sense.

My current backpack lightweight carries are either a modded Mule or a Bradley Air, at 2.4 and 1.4 oz respectively. Will likely switch the latter for a LW Caly when it becomes available.
First of all i am glad for you that you love that variation so much. And i have said it enough already that it indeed is a fine knife.

But that is not the point, the point is rather simpel there is no more balance in how the manix is made! If this goes forward the only thing thats left in the near future is the LW and sorry for all the guys that need to drop any ounce possible for them to do stuff they like. but the lw does not fit all people so it should not get all the attention.

And yes i guess i am part of a dying breed of dinosaurs that love things like bombproof build knives or even V8 car engines or normal bikes instead of Lw’s and tesla’s and e bikes but that does not meen we need to be ignored and be fine with it.

Spyderco makes and has made so many lw knives you can not even add them up anymore the people that want a lw have so many to choose from they even do not know where to start. So is it not fair that people who like heavy knives get some to? And there is not a knife in spyderco’s line up that is better to be that way as the manix because guess what it started that way.

I do not want them to stop making the lw i want them to make the lw and the heavyweight and if possible give people the chance to enjoy the real origin form. The real Lockback manix with the ticker blade and the liners. Because many people love that knife and even more would love it if given the chance to own one! Because a huge part of spyderco’s fan base were not around to have those knives. The original manix is in a few years even 20 years old, its probably older then many spydie fans there kids are and some of those kids probably love spyderco’s to since many start at a young age.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the lw doesn't get all the attention. the manix 2 has had many exclusives in g10 with liners and is still available in production versions with s30v with or without dlc and in s110v. there are some steels only available in a lw that i'd like to see in a g10 version, but to say that your wants are being ignored and carry on about fairness seems a little exaggerated.

i agree with you about liking heavier knives. i like both, but mostly prefer a more sturdy tool because i find it more confidence inspiring when i need to use it a little harder. however, to think that spyderco owes any of us a reproduction of an older version of a knife they have refined over the years to what they think is now better is an outrageous demand. and, according to you, they actually tried to do it once and you're saying it wasn't good enough because it wasn't to your exact specifications.

i understand your frustration. i've been frustrated by designs i felt were almost perfect too. i've been frustrated having to wait. i've been frustrated hoping for something that would make a model better in my opinion. i've brought up ideas that have been ignored on the forum by spyderco altogether. at the end of the day, it's their company and they have to know that they will never please everyone. we need to know that too and manage our expectations appropriately.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo

Post by apollo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:26 am
the lw doesn't get all the attention. the manix 2 has had many exclusives in g10 with liners and is still available in production versions with s30v with or without dlc and in s110v. there are some steels only available in a lw that i'd like to see in a g10 version, but to say that your wants are being ignored and carry on about fairness seems a little exaggerated.

i agree with you about liking heavier knives. i like both, but mostly prefer a more sturdy tool because i find it more confidence inspiring when i need to use it a little harder. however, to think that spyderco owes any of us a reproduction of an older version of a knife they have refined over the years to what they think is now better is an outrageous demand. and, according to you, they actually tried to do it once and you're saying it wasn't good enough because it wasn't to your exact specifications.

i understand your frustration. i've been frustrated by designs i felt were almost perfect too. i've been frustrated having to wait. i've been frustrated hoping for something that would make a model better in my opinion. i've brought up ideas that have been ignored on the forum by spyderco altogether. at the end of the day, it's their company and they have to know that they will never please everyone. we need to know that too and manage our expectations appropriately.
I get you’re point but you just do not get mine and i am going to let it rest because i am tired of defending it at the moment. But i will say this i demand nothing from spyderco i have 17 manixes of all shapes and sizes !!! Not counting all the other designs i have, masterpieces like the nirvana the mamba the rubicon and others. Spyderco rules the knife world in my eyes i dont dare to demand something from them. I ask and i hope that is it! And there is nothing wrong with that last time i checked. And sorry if i come over the wrong way but as english is still not my native tung , i can mess thing up while trying to explain myself. And yes maybe i am a bit bitter about that manix 2 lockback then again is that not normal ? You have no idea how much effort many of us did to get spyderco in to making that knife and no i was not alone or do you really believe they made that knife for one person ? So yes i complain a bit but then again Spyderco got where it is true hard work and taking challenges so trying to make them a challenge again should not be a bad thing or am i wrong again? Does not matter i am done with this post anyway have fun and stay safe people.
James Y

Post by James Y »

My G10 Manix 2 is one of my all-time favorite Spydercos. Would I ever consider a LWT version? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I like lightweight versions of some knives, but not others. For example, I have zero interest in the Para 3 LWT. I'd be far more likely to get a Manix 2 LWT. If it's the upgraded version with screw construction.

Jim