Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ez556

Re: Manix

Post by Ez556 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:32 am
Hopefully we will see a Cruwear Micarta standard production Manix 2 sometime in the future.
YES.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:32 am
I am in that camp that mostly carries around a lightweight. I love them for EDC knowing I can pull them out for any dirty job I may need. Just a in my head thing, they just scream to be used. I also believe that I currently have plenty of Light Weight optons to choose from in Spyderco's lineup. Except for that darn Native Chief LW. I do wish we would see more G10, Titanium, Micarta, etc. scales in new or existing models. I would like to even see something like the old Kopas and their scale material come back to some different models. I think Spyderco makes a variety of sizes for the working person. May be time to share the love with with the heavier scales to balance out the catalog and add some variety. I can definitely see the frustration there. Hopefully we will see a Cruwear Micarta standard production Manix 2 sometime in the future.
I love you’re balance opinion. They lost track of that. And i understand why with costs rising and yes Lw’s are more then strong enough but sometimes it can feel so good to have a strong hefty knife in you’re hand while cutting things with force.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:31 am
apollo wrote: The manix was build as a hard use tank style knife , the original Manix is legendary in that line...
... because there are a trillion more lightweights in the product line but there very very few real strong folders left.
Did the original Manix have thicker blade stock? Because the current models have fairly thin blade stock, thinner than the PM2 at least (which I love, it means they slice better!). It's definitely a beefy knife made for work, but of Spyderco's current Golden line I'd give the tank moniker to the Shaman. It's got the blade stock thickness and handle construction to back it up! With really most of Spydercos knives, between the extremely thin tips (great thing) and opening hole (also great) potentially being a weak spot in the blade, I've never held any model and thought that the handle would fail before the blade would under any usage I can imagine. In average everyday usage, a lighter folder makes more sense than a stronger folder, not to say knives should be weaker, I just don't need a "tank" to open packages and slice my lunch.
Yes the bladstock is a big difference.
But since the blade is so wide the original is still a fenomenale slicer.
Here is a quick pic left the manix xl right my og manix user.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I also have the original Manix models and they are still along with some other full liner models I consider some of the finest knives Spyderco has ever built . When the lightweight model came out I was really put off and did not see myself ever getting the model . When I retired from Caterpillar I got a wonderful card and the first blue Manix 2 run . Honestly the knife sat in my collection for years before one day out of boredom , used it for a week at my new job . It fit the bill quite nicely, the knife never failed me and even began to like the wire clip . My preference will always be a G10 model lockback in either size , will I ever get another lightweight? Yes , in two different steels once the screw construction comes around to other variations. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I miss having this stable of Manix's. Especially now seeing the G10/linered models released less and less. Now down to only 2!

I always recommend a Manix. CBBL is the cherry on tip of an already awesomely designed knife.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
apollo

Post by apollo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:08 am
I miss having this stable of Manix's. Especially now seeing the G10/linered models released less and less. Now down to only 2!

I always recommend a Manix. CBBL is the cherry on tip of an already awesomely designed knife.

Nice collection. Did you sell all of them then?
I wish the g10 sprint would be more from spyderco themselves so that i could buy them here from dealers in europe.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nope, I've still got the 4V and Rex45 models. The Rex45 has the textured micarta scales and the 4V has the grey scales.

-Rick
apollo

Post by apollo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 am
Nope, I've still got the 4V and Rex45 models. The Rex45 has the textured micarta scales and the 4V has the grey scales.
Nice. Where did you find the micarta scales?
apollo

Post by apollo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:57 am
I also have the original Manix models and they are still along with some other full liner models I consider some of the finest knives Spyderco has ever built . When the lightweight model came out I was really put off and did not see myself ever getting the model . When I retired from Caterpillar I got a wonderful card and the first blue Manix 2 run . Honestly the knife sat in my collection for years before one day out of boredom , used it for a week at my new job . It fit the bill quite nicely, the knife never failed me and even began to like the wire clip . My preference will always be a G10 model lockback in either size , will I ever get another lightweight? Yes , in two different steels once the screw construction comes around to other variations. MG2
Dan you nailed it i could not have said it that good myself . Wish my English was a bit better so i did not have to beat around the bush that much to get to my point.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:35 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 am
Nice. Where did you find the micarta scales?
I don't think their currently available, but I got them 3 years ago from DLT. Their the Putman grooved micarta.

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i should say that, while i love the lw manix and don't think it's cheap feeling or junk, i do also generally prefer more robust knives with g10 or micarta and liners. honestly, the lw is good enough for anything edc, but i like a heavier knife because part of the purpose of carrying a knife in the first place is the possibility of having to use it hard for survival. if that's the case, i'd prefer the most robust design i can carry. since they are so light, a m2lw would make a great backpack knife to keep as a backup in case your edc fails for some reason.

there is room for both. i like both. i want both. i wish the new steels that are being released in lw models would also be released in g10 versions. and once the lw has screws, i'd have zero complaints about left.

jsumm, your feeling about the lw begging to be used is how i feel about the salt series. no other knife wants to be used more than a se h1 salt knife, in my mind.

tkok83spy, i'd miss those manixes too. it's my favorite knife and i just finally got my second. i'm definitely going to have more eventually, but i suppose it makes less and less sense to have multiples as your collection grows. it's already difficult enough to choose a model in the morning without having to choose which version of a specific model.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have one Manix, a DLC G10 Manix 2 in basic S30V. It's one of my all-time favorite knives. I'm not sure if the LWT version appeals to me. Plus, I don't care much for wire clips. There's something about the G10 model that feels like a bank vault.

Jim
apollo

Post by apollo »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:02 am
I have one Manix, a DLC G10 Manix 2 in basic S30V. It's one of my all-time favorite knives. I'm not sure if the LWT version appeals to me. Plus, I don't care much for wire clips. There's something about the G10 model that feels like a bank vault.

Jim
The Manix 2 g10 are lovely beasts and the cbbl lock is great but if you ever have the opportunity to hold a Original backlock Manix you would be amazed how much of a bigger vaultdoor they have over the cbbl you almost need earplugs if you open those babys i think you would love it :cheap-sunglasses
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 am
i should say that, while i love the lw manix and don't think it's cheap feeling or junk, i do also generally prefer more robust knives with g10 or micarta and liners. honestly, the lw is good enough for anything edc, but i like a heavier knife because part of the purpose of carrying a knife in the first place is the possibility of having to use it hard for survival. if that's the case, i'd prefer the most robust design i can carry. since they are so light, a m2lw would make a great backpack knife to keep as a backup in case your edc fails for some reason.

there is room for both. i like both. i want both. i wish the new steels that are being released in lw models would also be released in g10 versions. and once the lw has screws, i'd have zero complaints about left.

jsumm, your feeling about the lw begging to be used is how i feel about the salt series. no other knife wants to be used more than a se h1 salt knife, in my mind.

tkok83spy, i'd miss those manixes too. it's my favorite knife and i just finally got my second. i'm definitely going to have more eventually, but i suppose it makes less and less sense to have multiples as your collection grows. it's already difficult enough to choose a model in the morning without having to choose which version of a specific model.
Well,said,Bug . As far as the Salts ?I think everyone by now know where I stand ;) Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:08 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
The Manix 2 g10 are lovely beasts and the cbbl lock is great but if you ever have the opportunity to hold a Original backlock Manix you would be amazed how much of a bigger vaultdoor they have over the cbbl you almost need earplugs if you open those babys i think you would love it :cheap-sunglasses

I think I would love it, too! I wish the G10 backlock version was still a part of the regular lineup.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImage
apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:08 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Henry David Thoreau
apollo

Post by apollo »

Dan i must say i am a bit jealous on that one its even older then mine. 😁

jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

[/quote]

I think I would love it, too! I wish the G10 backlock version was still a part of the regular lineup.

Jim
[/quote]

So do I. ^^^
apollo

Post by apollo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:39 am

Jim
[/quote]

So do I. ^^^
[/quote]

So Sal i know you read this. So Please pull out those Manix 2 lockback plans put some liners in there. Take a wander true all those spectacular steels you have lying around and make it real. We know you can do it ;)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it wasn't a good seller, but i think that was because people were waiting for a different steel. i had one in my hand and considered buying it. i wish i had, but i wasn't really "collecting" at the time and i didn't need it or like it better than the m2lw i already had. i really think the steel choice and thickness were the main detractors for this one. maybe someone will do an exclusive and we'll get to see if it was the steel.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C