Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Manix

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:38 am
James Y wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 am
I think the Backlock Manix must have even thicker G10 slabs than the Chief (had the former very briefly, but never a Chief, so can't say with 100% certainty)). And it has a thicket blade

The back lock Manix’s G10 scales must be really thick, then, because the Chief’s G10 is darned solid. Before I received my Chief, I kind of imagined the linerless G10 scales to be somewhat thin, like on the Cold Steel Broken Skull, which is also linerless G10. And even that is deceptively strong. But the Chief’s handle scales are far more solid than the Broken Skull’s.

Jim
Jim, I think the backlock Manix handle is really thick indeed...

I found this pic comparing it to a (also linerless) G10 Native 5 handle (pic borrowed from this review https://nemoknivesreview.com/2018/10/31 ... daddy/amp/)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

apollo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:48 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:27 pm
it wasn't a good seller, but i think that was because people were waiting for a different steel. i had one in my hand and considered buying it. i wish i had, but i wasn't really "collecting" at the time and i didn't need it or like it better than the m2lw i already had. i really think the steel choice and thickness were the main detractors for this one. maybe someone will do an exclusive and we'll get to see if it was the steel.
The trouble with that version was not the steel. The knife was only made because we forum members asked for the return of the lockback manix. So i do not think spyderco expected it to outsell the normal Manix 2.

The only thing i think it was not selling good enough is because the knife did not turn out as most of us wanted. Spyderco just made the native 5 g10 without liners and thought it was also the way to go on that manix. So for me the normal manix 2 g10 with its liners is superior to that version.

So the problem is we forum members are a special breed if we want something we want it to perfection. And skipping the liners and dropping the weight down made the knife not a replica of the old one. So stubborn folk like me did not buy it because if it doesn’t walk like a duck or talk like a duck it sure as **** aint no duck :squinting-tongue

And believe me if the knife was made with liners and the thicker blade i would have bought at least 3 because i just could not sleep anymore before i had one to use , one for back up and on as a safe queen. :flushed
I am finding this thread interesting.

I am a big fan of the backlock Manix. Even without the liners -- what a tank! I figure it is adequate for anything and everything as it is. Now if it had full metal liners, that would certainly be all the better, but I don't think it is inadequate by any stretch.

When it went on the discontinued list and dealers were discounting it, I snapped up two more and gave them as gifts to each of my sons. It is one of my all time favorites.

I am also one of the FRN/FRCP "haters". I know, it is solid sturdy stuff and the lightweight models are dandy, etc. etc.
But I just can't bring myself to like or want them. More for the rest of you. Give me G10, it makes me happy.

The G10 manix is a great knife. I can never decide if I like it or the PM2 the best -- so I give up and claim the Shaman as my favorite.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:31 pm
James Y wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
James Y wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:24 am
I think the Backlock Manix must have even thicker G10 slabs than the Chief (had the former very briefly, but never a Chief, so can't say with 100% certainty)). And it has a thicket blade

The back lock Manix’s G10 scales must be really thick, then, because the Chief’s G10 is darned solid. Before I received my Chief, I kind of imagined the linerless G10 scales to be somewhat thin, like on the Cold Steel Broken Skull, which is also linerless G10. And even that is deceptively strong. But the Chief’s handle scales are far more solid than the Broken Skull’s.

Jim
Jim, I think the backlock Manix handle is really thick indeed...

I found this pic comparing it to a (also linerless) G10 Native 5 handle (pic borrowed from this review https://nemoknivesreview.com/2018/10/31 ... daddy/amp/)

Thanks, Wartstein. Those G10 slabs ARE thick.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:31 pm
James Y wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks, Wartstein. Those G10 slabs ARE thick.

Jim

Yes, and the backlock Manix feels amazing in hand with that thick handle, smooth G10 and (almost?) no jimping (as far as I recall).

Had one for a very short time and actually regret selling it. Functionwise my REX 45 LW does perfectly well what I want from a folder (perhaps even a tad better than the backlock Manix due to the thinner blade of the CBBL versions), but the backlock version is/was something special.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

Well, I'm a weirdo here being not a big fan of manix - I have just one (g10 rex45). While it's pretty enjoyable in use, it doesn't feel so in the pocket as almost a half of the blade still pokes out of the handle when closed >:[ I know it's because of the cbbl lock but that could be fixed, at least partially...
I'm hoping for native chief in k390/cruwear/MC to make it to standard production some day.
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Manix is one of the knives that made me wrinkle up my nose when I first looked at it, but once I got it in hand I said, "How did they know? They made this just for me, to fit perfectly in -my- hand."

As long as the sharp part of the blade is out of harms way when the knife is closed, I am entirely OK with the entire blade not being in the handle. In fact that just gets the hole right out where I can get at it.

But there are plenty of other fine choices if it doesn't suit a person. It has really grown on me over the years.