Time for a micarta Native 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: Time for a micarta Native 5?

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm down for most things native. Would love to see a micarta version at any size (lil, regular, chief or theoretical mid sized).

I think the regular native 5 would be the most likely to see production. They wouldn't have to redesign it to add liners (assuming they still have the ability to make lined native 5s despite switching to linerless a few years back).
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Yes to the micarta Native. Also yes to a 3.25 inch blade native. What a great series. The Lil version is my current favorite of the group.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a N5 with liners that I put TeroTuf scales on. I like it! Whether or not I'd buy a production version depends
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Bring it. I'd buy 2 crucarta N5's. I be perfectly happy with nested liners. That would be 1A for me. 2A would be a 3.25 version.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Here is a thought…

I treat my Efficient as a “mid size” native. It’s certainly not 3.25 but the blade feels significantly bigger than the N5. It has full steel liners and micarta scales could possibly be more easily tooled up. Not to mention that the Efficient/Emphasis line could use some color!

I know they are value folders, but they are great designs/performers that feel very similar to the native series in hand.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think I might be alone in much preferring the linerless N5 :')
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I've been waiting for a micarta/tool steel Native 5 for a long time.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:32 am
Yeah my vision is linerless micarta like the caly jr.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cjk

Post by cjk »

The full liner native 5 (like previous models with s35vn so no re-engineering needed) with micarta scales would surely be a winner.
One of the previous full liner S35vn native 5s is on my want list. A micarta one would be more desirable to me.
As far as steel goes, I’m flexible, but I’d prefer something other than the usual s30v, vg10, or S35vn. I particularly like SPY27. I don’t have any S90V.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Sure. But at this point I’d be happy with K390 with G10. Doesn’t have to be a fancy color. Ranger green will be just fine.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna amend my previous statement about the CruCarta combo, I had said I would buy everything made in that combo but I think a major part of it for me was the Shaman scales in micarta, so I think I'd be tempted but wouldn't be as excited for flat micarta slabs. The Para 2 doesn't have nearly as much appeal as the Shaman does.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:52 pm
I'm gonna amend my previous statement about the CruCarta combo, I had said I would buy everything made in that combo but I think a major part of it for me was the Shaman scales in micarta, so I think I'd be tempted but wouldn't be as excited for flat micarta slabs. The Para 2 doesn't have nearly as much appeal as the Shaman does.
I'm pretty sure that I'll still buy all the Crucarta that Spyderco can produce, but I'd like to emphasize David's point about just how nice the contoured micarta scales are on the Shaman.

I like my Crucarta PM2 a lot, but I'd like it better if the scales were similarly contoured.

I would love to see a Crucarta Native 5, and a Crucarta Lil' Native Slippie (although I think that's a lot less likely).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

SG89 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:54 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:32 am
Yeah my vision is linerless micarta like the caly jr.
I don't care much about full liners (love my linerless chief and back lock lil native as well as lightweight native 5s). I was just assuming that the Micarta scales required full liners because it isn't as strong as g10. Why else did they redesign the pm2 to have full liners, just for the Micarta version? (Genuinely curious here, there certainly could be reasons I'm not seeing).

I've handled some linerless Micarta knives from other manufacturers that had a significant amount of flex, and I'd prefer not to have that. If the knife is rigid enough without liners, I will buy one without a second thought.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

The more I think of a crucarta N5 the better it sounds. I'm excited for the MagnaCut of course, but a crucarta N5.... seriously take my money.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Crucarta N5 would be great, but no flat slabs with edges, but rather 3D shaped scales. The 3D (at least up to some extend) shaping should be something Spyderco in general should have a closer look into irrespective of the handle material.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kobold

Post by kobold »

Fluted green canvas in Magnacut or Maxamet would be both an excellent matter and money separator.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

Yeah, and a compression lock on the native too!
Micarta, cruwear, compression lock native and mid-native
pierre5454

Post by pierre5454 »

I wanted a micarta Native ever since I got my first G-10 one. I ended up frankensteining together one after a long time of tracking everything down! Cruwear blade, steel liners, micarta scales from Cuscadi, and an RGT clip. I love it.
Attachments
MicartaNative1.jpg
MicartaNative2.jpg
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

That looks very nice Pierre!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 am
Crucarta N5 would be great, but no flat slabs with edges, but rather 3D shaped scales. The 3D (at least up to some extend) shaping should be something Spyderco in general should have a closer look into irrespective of the handle material.

This is the biggest thing I envy when I look at other companies. I will gladly take a whopping ~1/4 inch total thickness in the very center of the handle to gain a contoured grip, and deal with how much thicker that makes it in my pocket. I understand not making everything this way but I would gladly welcome more knives like the Shaman and I'd even be more interested in sprint runs of knives with scales like that instead of steel variants. If more aftermarket scale makers made scales like this I'd buy them for everything I carry.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David