Metal recommendations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do think is best

CPM S45VN
8%
CPM 3V
64%
CPM 9V
4%
M390
24%

Total votes: 25

StillSteelNoob

Metal recommendations

Post by StillSteelNoob »

I'm about to start a new project creating a collection of edged tools. 1 hunting spear, 1 knife, and atleast 1 long bladed tool.
Primary consideration will be toughness, then wear as tools will be impacting items from wood to stone or even other metals.
So far i'm considering CPM S45VN, CPM 3V, CPM 9V, M390. Any others that will fit the bill I'm missing?

Opinions welcome, thanks for responses.
sal

Re: Metal recommendations

Post by sal »

Hi StillSteelNoob,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome aboard.

From the ones you listed I would choose 3V as it has good toughness and still holds an edge. 9v is new to me and I have no knowledge of it being used in knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would say cruwear.
LC200N might also fit.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

If toughness is your most important need by far, either 3v or another steel you haven't listed in the poll could be best for you. I suggest for you the article linked below from Larrin Thomas' Knife Steel Nerds Website. He has lots of helpful info including charts showing the toughness of all of these and many other steels. Some of the steels that got a very high rating are 3V, 52100, AEB-L, and LC200N.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

S45vn and M390 are both just about as tough as most other common powder metallurgy stainless steels, maybe even on the relatively low end as they both prioritize edge retention and stain-resistance over toughness. LC200N or Magnacut will both have better toughness than your listed options, as well as having *very* high degrees of corrosion resistance (LC200N can't really be hardened over 60 so its edge stability is only adequate though). Cruwear or 4v are both more commonly available than your listed options if toughness is more important than corrosion resistance. May I ask how you generated this particular list?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Of your listed options, CPM-3V seems like the only legitimate choice.

It's also the most available in the tools you're looking for, assuming we're considering all makers.

Welcome to the forum!

4V, Cruwear, AEB-L, A2, and presumably MagnaCut are also worth looking into... I suggest diving deep into the rabbit hole! 🐰

I wouldn't rule out M4 or Rex45 blades and would not be at all concerned about all 3 tools sharing the same steel...1095 would serve well in a spear or chopper.
So it goes.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

From your list I'd stick with the 3V and the S45VN.

How and why is 9V an option on your list?

Spyderco has never made a production knife with 9V. They may have played with it but I somewhat doubt that. I don't think anyone is using it for knives. On paper it's doesn't look to me like good choice for a knive blade at all. It would be quite difficult to harden, very prone to corrosion, and a nightmare to sharpen.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

OP - How are you planning to shape and heat treat the tools you are making? This may play a big factor in your choice.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

3V, from that list. Although if you're going to be in contact with bone, rocks, and steel a lot via impacts, I'd probably suggest something tough and easier to sharpen, as you'll be doing that a lot.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Oh wow! From the nature of the question and options given, I assumed OP meant accumulating/curating a collection.

If they are truly looking to "create" this collection then I recommend a life-raft, and a deeper dive into blades, steels, & methods.
So it goes.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

StillSteelNoob wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:35 pm
I'm about to start a new project creating a collection of edged tools. 1 hunting spear, 1 knife, and atleast 1 long bladed tool.
Primary consideration will be toughness, then wear as tools will be impacting items from wood to stone or even other metals.
So far i'm considering CPM S45VN, CPM 3V, CPM 9V, M390. Any others that will fit the bill I'm missing?

Opinions welcome, thanks for responses.
Just use a 40dps and you'll be good to go.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I was thinking 8670 with a thick edge!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Last time I made a tool (pocket hatchet), I used a worn out mower blade. Had to torch anneal the area I wanted to drill holes in, and sharpened the edge on a bench top belt sander.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ ... st-4647952

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ ... st-4745617
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

80CRV seems to be popular for swords. Among the ones listed I would choose S3V if toughness is the primary goal.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Remarkably few steels deal well with stone contact.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I put a bold X on the M390 selection. Mainly because my M390 Military model has been such a great EDC folder for 5 years plus. I also voted for "3V" because for quite some time now I've wanted a fixed blade with 3V.

I believe both blade steels are an excellent selection for hard EDC uses. For me M390 should be viewed as the new VG-10. And 3V is just made for abuse IMO.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You could do this with far less expensive steels, how are you making them? Some people use old truck leaf springs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David