Stupid award for cutting myself …

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Stupid award for cutting myself …

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:34 am
Oh I guess I could use the excuse that I keep my blades much sharper than the average knife user>> but that would be nothing but a play on words.
this is why i say, "keep you knife sharp and your focus sharper."
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Oh I guess I could use the excuse that I keep my blades much sharper than the average knife user>> but that would be nothing but a play on words.
Yeah I couldn't have said it any better. I think that many of us are guilty of ignoring the fact that these knives we play with so much are potentially dangerous tools and must be respected. It is so easy to inflict a serious injury if one becomes careless and doesn't stay focused.

Most of us tend to overlook the potential danger when we are sharpening our blades as well. Yes you sure have to keep your attention focused anytime you are dealing with cutlery and/or edged tools.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 am
ladybug93 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Yeah I couldn't have said it any better. I think that many of us are guilty of ignoring the fact that these knives we play with so much are potentially dangerous tools and must be respected. It is so easy to inflict a serious injury if one becomes careless and doesn't stay focused.

Most of us tend to overlook the potential danger when we are sharpening our blades as well. Yes you sure have to keep your attention focused anytime you are dealing with cutlery and/or edged tools.
yes. i almost lost half of my thumb and the ability to play guitar when sharpening my machete one night. i was just demonstrating for a friend, so i wasn't as focused as i would've been if actually sharpening it. that machete gave me a substantial reminder to respect it. ten stitches and a couple months later, i was finally able to play guitar again. gotta take care of those hands.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:04 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 am
ladybug93 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

yes. i almost lost half of my thumb and the ability to play guitar when sharpening my machete one night. i was just demonstrating for a friend, so i wasn't as focused as i would've been if actually sharpening it. that machete gave me a substantial reminder to respect it. ten stitches and a couple months later, i was finally able to play guitar again. gotta take care of those hands.
Amen. Even a relatively minor cut like mine that clipped the tendon and my hand is still not at 100% after 9 months. It's not just the location of the injury, but the required splinting of the rest of the hand that is difficult to recover from. Surprisingly painful as well outside of the actual cut area. Glad your thumb is better.

For everyone else, work safe it's the easiest option.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

James Y

Post by James Y »

I've come to view my knives like exotic wild animals that people keep as pets. Always respect what they can do, because the moment you get too comfortable and your attention lapses is the moment you can get bitten. Or worse.

Even now, on occasion, I occasionally neglect my full attention and get a cut now and then. But nothing bad since 2015, when I got my index finger tendon and had my finger splinted for months, then had to go to rehab to get the strength and ROM back. I missed 4 months of work, because my job (massage therapist) required both hands to be working properly.

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

As close to a Spydie boo boo thread as they come so here goes...
couple months ago I was in the process of removing a hard plastic strap with my favorite LadyHawk in H-1 and instead of cutting away, circumstances persuaded me to pry the hawkbill tip under the strap toward me...
instant regret and my first spydiebite just under and into the thumbnail. Lesson learned, again. A lil vaporub on there and it was fine in the morning. Pictures or it didn't happen I hear you say?
spydiebite001.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I was using the wood chipper at work on Thursday. As part of the processing I was lopping side branches off of limbs with my machete by holding the limb in the air with one hand and striking away from myself into the branch union with the blade. All was going fine until I stopped to eat a kiwi fruit I’d brought with me for a snack, which I sliced in half with my Caribbean SE, along with going halfway through the tip of my left ring finger. Bled like a stuck pig.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:57 pm
I was using the wood chipper at work on Thursday. As part of the processing I was lopping side branches off of limbs with my machete by holding the limb in the air with one hand and striking away from myself into the branch union with the blade. All was going fine until I stopped to eat a kiwi fruit I’d brought with me for a snack, which I sliced in half with my Caribbean SE, along with going halfway through the tip of my left ring finger. Bled like a stuck pig.
Ow! An apple did something similar to that to me once. Fruit are dangerous.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:48 am
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:57 pm
Ow! An apple did something similar to that to me once. Fruit are dangerous.
I agree. I’m amazed there’s any vegans left.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

This was years ago but I still remember it. I was scoring vinyl floor tile with a steel straight edge and a sharp utility knife. All was going good until one time a part of my thumb, holding the straight edge, was sticking just a bit over the cutting edge. Took a nice chunk off that time.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Cutting yourself is a right of passage for being around things that have Sharpe edges, two kinds of cuts, preventable, and non preventable.

Preventable Cuts deserve stupidity award, like when I took 13 stitches to close would Fromm Meat Slicer I disrespected.