sal can we get some new Lil Matriarchs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Re: sal can we get some new Lil Matriarchs?

Post by JoviAl »

I can’t help but think this would make an absolutely brilliant grafting knife for the landscaping/arboriculture industry, especially in a laughs-at-rust Salt permutation. Looking forward to picking a couple up when they hit the shelves.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted
Last edited by MrBerle on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MrBerle wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:05 am
zhyla wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:58 am
Why do you guys want this knife in a salt version? It’s the last knife I would want on a boat.
For the amazing performance of serrated H-1. H-1 would be perfect for the Civ and Matriarch as well IMO. It would also make a great dive knife. I rely primarily on a knife for SD (MBC) and a Salt Lil' Matriarch would be the perfect running knife for me.
Are they doing new models in H-1? I didn’t think so. I think the H-1 serration magic is a bit overstated though.

Dive knife? A folder? That’s — no offense — a very odd thing to say.

My lil matriarch is my running knife. It’s light and… well I don’t EDC it much as a blade with belly works a lot better for my most frequent task (opening boxes). So I kind of relegated it to just running. I’ve had no corrosion issues with VG-10 in that role.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted
Last edited by MrBerle on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zhyla wrote:
Why do you guys want this knife in a salt version? It’s the last knife I would want on a boat.
If a harpy or Tasman works.... why not lil Matriarch? Especially if waved.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MrBerle wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 am
Why not a folder? I've taken my pacific salt from 2009 on many dives and have had no issue. 60+ scuba dives and countless snorkling and freediving sessions.
They don’t lock into a sheath as easily. Lock manipulation in cold water or with gloves is hard/impossible.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Glad this thread came about because I never got my hands on a Lil Matriarch model. The regular edition of the Matriarch is my favorite in that genre. I always like the Matriarch much better than the Civilian model.

I've said for years that if Spyderco would make a Matriarch or a Lil Matriarch in this case it could potentially be a really nice utility blade for all kinds of cutting chores.

I do hope this drive for a Lil Matriarch model does come to fruition.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The last knives I’d want on a boat are ones that will rust.
Then, I consider fixed or folding. I consider ease-of-manipulation, lock type, blade shape, and edge type (all in the context of what I will use the knives for).
A serrated salt matriarch would score pretty highly in my evaluation.

If it’s because it’s pointy, so are hooks, fishing poles, anchors, spears, gaffs, fish, and fingers.
There are advantages to less pointy tips, but of course also disadvantages.

I’ve never dived with a knife, but it clearly works for some people, so it can be a good dive knife. There’s lots of warm water too.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

Deleted
Last edited by MrBerle on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomH

Post by TomH »

I bought one when they first came out and wish I had bought two.
If it's made again, I hope it will be available with an Emerson opener.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

zhyla wrote:
Maybe you’re right about the boat part. I have no experience with reverse S blades, so I’m just considering dipping my toes in the water.
Not knowing exactly where I’ll find this type of blade useful, I’m thinking that a Salt version gives me options. And I can’t really see that such options come with any significant disadvantage. H-1/H-2 is tougher than any realistic alternative, and I have a feeling toughness outweighs edge retention in this type of knife.
I’m not a boat person, so to speak, mainly in that I don’t have my own boat, but I still manage to go out on the water quite regularly. I have a kayak, so I do some kayak fishing. We have a couple of boats at work that I work on occasionally, and I do some fishing from boat as well as canoe trips in inland freshwater.
Not sure if a reverse S will be useful for any of that, but I’d like to try it out.
I don’t buy knives for self defense, but if I find any other reason to carry this around, I wouldn’t mind that it can handle a little sweat.

That’s just what I think. Surely if someone that has experience with reverse S knives disagrees, that would carry more weight, but it probably wouldn’t convince me to buy one that isn’t a Salt.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

zhyla wrote:
i've said this a handful of times, but it always goes ignored... self-defense requires consistency. in the heat of the moment, when your ability to react is everything, you don't want to be thinking about which pants you're wearing and where your knife is. unless you wear the same thing every day, your pockets will vary, causing a need to carry a bit different depending on what you're wearing. those adjustments could mean the difference between defending yourself and being overcome by an attacker. the best way to have your knife in the same spot at all times, regardless of what you are wearing, is to keep it in your waistband. whether you're wearing dress pants, jeans, tactical pants, sweatpants, swim trunk, etc., you can have the knife read in the same position at all times, including in the water or during workouts. also, during workouts and swimming, iwb is more secure. in my experience,
if i want a knife in my waistband, i want it to be a salt so it doesn't rust and stays reliably ready to use.

this kind of knife wouldn't be used often for me, but it would be carried always, so edge retention isn't really a factor. i'd rather it be a salt so i can always have it and so the edge isn't degraded by corrosion while i'm not even using it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:44 am
Not sure if a reverse S will be useful for any of that, but I’d like to try it out.
The reverse S is easy to like in concept. It looks potent. There’s some history around what the Civilian was designed for. It’s unique. And it seems like a good compromise between hawkbills and normal blade shapes.

I EDC’d mine for quite some time. It can work. But I think it’s always worse than a hawkbill. It has all of the disadvantages a hawkbill has without most of a hawkbills advantages. So to me, from a practical viewpoint, it’s a bad compromise.

Have you looked at the Tasman Salt?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:12 am

8< ——
It can work. But I think it’s always worse than a hawkbill. It has all of the disadvantages a hawkbill has without most of a hawkbills advantages. So to me, from a practical viewpoint, it’s a bad compromise.

Have you looked at the Tasman Salt?
Appreciate that you’re sharing your insight.
This is new territory for me, so all input is good.
However the stakes are low. I’m treading these waters to expand my horizon and try something new. So while a Tasman Salt may be more suitable or less unsuitable, I probably need to try out both blade styles and figure this out myself.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't think i'd want a hawkbill any bigger than my lbhb salt. that little knife handles the few moments i might feel a need for a hawkbill just fine because they're generally not big tasks. the front half of a lil matriarch would effectively take the place of that knife and i'd have the benefit of a longer blade in case i need it for anything else. i'd carry a lil matriarch, but i doubt i'd carry a full sized hawkbill like the tasman. just my preferences, i guess.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:58 pm
i don't think i'd want a hawkbill any bigger than my lbhb salt. that little knife handles the few moments i might feel a need for a hawkbill just fine because they're generally not big tasks. the front half of a lil matriarch would effectively take the place of that knife and i'd have the benefit of a longer blade in case i need it for anything else. i'd carry a lil matriarch, but i doubt i'd carry a full sized hawkbill like the tasman. just my preferences, i guess.
I feel the same way. The Tasman feels like a small sickle which for my personal daily use doesn't work well.

The Lil Matriarch on the other hand is very useable for most of my daily tasks.

I don't personally use folders for food prep but "push" come to shove the belly of the Lil makes it possible but of course still not ideal.
-Turbo
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

MrBerle wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:08 am
A gentleman's Lil' Matri with G10 handles and some kind of premium steel, perhaps Björkman's twist, would be so cool!

Huge fan of the reverse-S series! I own "Her Majesty" and two Matriarch 2's, the latter see lots of pocket time and use. Like JD Spydo above I never got a Lil' either but I imagine it (they) would be my #1 EDC.

Thank you Sal for "listening to the people" and fingers crossed that we see the Lil' return.
Id like that.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

I would be in for a Lil, g10 plz. Se and pe,vg10 or cru wear, and I'll take 2.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I wonder if they could make an FFG PE version in K390? That seems like it could be a winning combo.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:18 pm
I wonder if they could make an FFG PE version in K390? That seems like it could be a winning combo.
This would be my ideal blade for utility.