Does anyone use a S90V blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Does anyone use a S90V blade?

Post by Bloke »

I use my Sprig to fillet fish “wing on” meaning I cut through rib bones, some about as thick as matches.

I sharpen coarse around 400-600grit for an aggressive slicing edge and couldn’t possibly care less about push cuts. I find I can fillet upwards of thirty fish before I even think about a touch up and if I didn’t muscle through bones I’d never need to sharpen at all. Ah, hahaha!

In short I love S90V. It’s not hard to sharpen and I generally use and finish with a fresh lapped SiC stone. My Sprig and Southfork are absolute favourites and irreplaceable knives. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
araneae

Post by araneae »

The ability to make something sharp is more a function of the user's skill than the material's ability to "take an edge" or get sharp. I can make 420J2 as sharp as I can make s90v, I don't attribute that to the steel. There's a YouTube video of Murray Carter shaving with a spoon.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

araneae wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:48 am
The ability to make something sharp is more a function of the user's skill than the material's ability to "take an edge" or get sharp. I can make 420J2 as sharp as I can make s90v, I don't attribute that to the steel. There's a YouTube video of Murray Carter shaving with a spoon.
:index-finger :index-finger :index-finger
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish I was into s90v when cutlery shoppe had all their exclusives. Only available in the fancy native, right now (or I have to buy a benchmade, and those aren't more affordable)

I guess at least s110v is a regularly available alternative
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My only example of S90V, and in my opinion...the best possible option out there!

I've used this knife for probably 3 weeks total since getting it, all at work in the warehouse. I haven't had a need for anything more than a couple touchups, which brought that sticky sharp edge back in minutes.

I also wish I wasn't intimidated by "tough to sharpen steels" a few years back when S90V was easier to find. Like others have said, I don't think it's the steel that makes things difficult, I think it's the user's experience/inexperience as well as what you have for equipment.

S90V is hands down my favorite stainless steel I've used. Holds a sharp edge very well!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

What's interesting, and I'm guilty here for sure, is all the M390/20CV fans out there when according to Larrin's chart S90v is easily their equal. I'd be curious about the cost difference between them and the difference in work ability and heat treat. I have a couple S90V folders (Native 5's) but would be interested in more.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Bemo wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:32 pm
What's interesting, and I'm guilty here for sure, is all the M390/20CV fans out there when according to Larrin's chart S90v is easily their equal. I'd be curious about the cost difference between them and the difference in work ability and heat treat. I have a couple S90V folders (Native 5's) but would be interested in more.
M390 does offer an improvement in corrosion resistance over S90V, but I never have problems with even D2 staining or corroding so the slightly better overall edge performance of S90V is a win for me.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have a few... Chief of course. Have hardly had to touch it but I only carry it occasionally.

Most of my experience has been with Benchmades. I have a custom s90v/cf griptilian that I use a lot. I reprofiled the edge and let me tell you it took some effort! As did my 940-1! But they stay sharp forever it seems, and are easy to touch up. Finish grit depends on how I feel at the time, but I generally like to use a 220 grit diamond stone and refine a bit on a spyderco medium stone. Works great!

Also have a Benchmade saddle mountain skinner in s90v and that's one of the sharpest knives I've had out of the box. Love that thing.

I'd love to get my hands on an s90v shaman, but I doubt I ever will. Secondary prices are insane!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 pm
I'd love to get my hands on an s90v shaman, but I doubt I ever will. Secondary prices are insane!
I feel you there brother! Missed opportunity that sat around for a while a few years back...back when I couldn't fathom spending over $200 on a knife, and also thought the Shaman was too big. :disappointed

-Rick
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Unpopular opinion:
If I had an S90V Shaman, I wouldn't be able to look at it without seeing the extra blade that should have been made with all of that excess S90V!

There's an Urban and a Chief hiding in that stubby cutter...LOL! :winking-tongue
So it goes.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I really like s90v, would really love to see it in a Dragonfly - possibly a Chaparral, and actually the Stretch 2.

I do enjoy the Delica version. It is quite a cutter.

Use s90v in some fixed blades, as well. I do not get out as much fishing or the occasional hunting as I used to, but carrying less weight that can cut/slice longer between sharpening is attractive.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I haven’t used S90v in over a year. Before that I carried a Manix LW in it for several years. I butchered the blade and couldn’t get it back to a point that I liked in sharpening. I’ve since got it back to a decent edge though not as toothy as I’d like. I loved it’s edge holding properties and have another Manix and a few Native LW’s in it. I may have to revisit here in the coming weeks.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I will say that I much prefer more “balanced” steels. I have the equipment to deal with S90V just fine, but I prefer something that sharpens more quickly, even though it may need attention more often.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've got a Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive Manix 2 LW in S90V. Great knife. I should have bought the Knifeworks Exclusive Delica in S90V. I kept putting it off and then it was gone. S90V holds an edge for a long time. I like it better than S110V, for some reason. However, it is not the steel for people without a lot of time on their hands to sharpen if it gets dull.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:58 pm
I will say that I much prefer more “balanced” steels. I have the equipment to deal with S90V just fine, but I prefer something that sharpens more quickly, even though it may need attention more often.
I’m more than happy with a Ladybug SE HB for a pocket knife as I don’t work in an industry that requires a knife.

I think it’s only when we take a knife to task that choice of blade steel makes a difference. A classic example for myself would be, filleting fish as per my previous post “Wing On”, a Dexter Russell fillet knife would do one side and need touching up at very least to do the other side.

S90V snuffs fish bones and the price difference between a “Fillet Knife” from the local tackle shop as opposed to a S90V Spyder for eight times(?) the price is money well spent in this little Aussie’s veiw.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bloke wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:02 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:
I’m more than happy with a Ladybug SE HB for a pocket knife as I don’t work in an industry that requires a knife.

I think it’s only when we take a knife to task that choice of blade steel makes a difference. A classic example for myself would be, filleting fish as per my previous post “Wing On”, a Dexter Russell fillet knife would do one side and need touching up at very least to do the other side.

S90V snuffs fish bones and the price difference between a “Fillet Knife” from the local tackle shop as opposed to a S90V Spyder for eight times(?) the price is money well spent in this little Aussie’s veiw.
For fish with heavy rib bones I actually use bypass pruning shears. Saves sharpening time. :winking-tongue Still kicking myself for not picking up a Sprig when they were available.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Bloke wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:02 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:

Have other steels held up sufficiently for you? Like say, S30V, S35VN, etc? I like to fish but haven’t needed exceptional edge retention during cleaning fish because I’ve never done more than say 8 at one time. I can definitely see the importance of edge retention during a serious session of fish cleaning, but it isn’t something I encounter. I small game hunt but it doesn’t take long to clean a squirrel or a rabbit!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

One simple question : are the SM regular(brown and fine) rods abrasive enough for weekly touch ups ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

elena86 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:14 am
One simple question : are the SM regular(brown and fine) rods abrasive enough for weekly touch ups ?
Absolutely, as long as it isn't too dull. It's worked great for me so far.

-Rick
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
I agree with this. Five years ago I’d have said different but I’ve changed my tune. I loved S110v for awhile then I made a mistake and dulled my Manix LW. Lesson learned.