Does anyone use a S90V blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Does anyone use a S90V blade?

Post by Fireman »

Chuck James wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:14 pm
S90V gets Very sharp and holds it's edge very very well.

This Native 5 belongs to a Lady I know.

Your large hands would make the Native Chief look like a regular native lol.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'll soon have my hands on a good slab of S90V (Yojumbo). That should reveal itself to be a great choice to test this steel further !

(Except if someone has some S90V mules laying around... :winking-tongue )
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The possibility of a re-issuance of the S90V Sprig with a slightly harder heat treat has really garnered my attention. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92593 Not saying I have a lot of experience with S90V as it is limited to Scott Cook knives, but Phil Wilson always seems to push the envelope when it comes to heat treat. Whether that protocol can be consistently transferred to mass production remains to be seen. If any of Spyderco's plants can do it, Taichung would be my guess. Fingers crossed.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your incites. I learned some neat things here. It surprised me that a guy with little sharpening skill could make a super steel like S90V work so well with just a SharpMaker. Glad I’m not the only one.

Thanks to the men and women in Golden, Colorado who designed, engineered, built, and marketed the Spyderco Native Chief in S90V. The quality of the materials is outstanding. The fit, and finish of the assembly make this knife a work of art. I promise to take good care of it. And use the **** out of it. Thank you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:42 pm
Carried a S90V Yojimbo for a couple years. I think it depends more on your uses. If you're really using a knife hard and you're wearing out the edge, those 50 strokes on the UF rods aren't getting you anywhere. Any time I read that a steel is hard to sharpen I'm immediately suspicious about that person's sharpening ability, tools, leaving burrs, etc. I don't see one steel as being harder to sharpen than the next, one just takes more time or strokes to get there than the next.
I couldn't have said that any better myself. Because the key to not letting any knife regardless of which blade steel you are working with is to not let it get too awfully dull in the first place. It's not very often in the course of a year that I encounter any sharpening job that causes me to use foul language. Because once I get them sharp I just don't let them get very dull from that point on.

Ironically I actually find the old 440V ( S60V) considerably harder and more time consuming to sharpen than S90V. For years I've rated the older 440V one of the most time consuming and demanding blade steels to work with. Just simply do all your reprofiling with a diamond or CBN stone and that will usually save you a lot of time. And you'll use a lot less foul language :squinting-tongue. Actually I find M390 considerably more stubborn to sharpen than S90V.