Does anyone use a S90V blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Does anyone use a S90V blade?

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:00 pm
My only example of S90V, and in my opinion...the best possible option out there!

I've used this knife for probably 3 weeks total since getting it, all at work in the warehouse. I haven't had a need for anything more than a couple touchups, which brought that sticky sharp edge back in minutes.

I also wish I wasn't intimidated by "tough to sharpen steels" a few years back when S90V was easier to find. Like others have said, I don't think it's the steel that makes things difficult, I think it's the user's experience/inexperience as well as what you have for equipment.

S90V is hands down my favorite stainless steel I've used. Holds a sharp edge very well!

If any variant of the Military was available in S90V through sprint or production, I'll be all over it, certainly for 2 !
Otherwise, and since I need a second S90V from spyderco (I have 1 from another brand), it will certainly be the Native Chief or Yojumbo.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
brj

Post by brj »

I've been rotating my S90V knives on and off, and at some point I did use extensively (1+ years as sole EDC) my CTS-20CP Para 2. With light (every other week) touchups it felt like they could go on forever (for my uses).

soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:44 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 pm
I'd love to get my hands on an s90v shaman, but I doubt I ever will. Secondary prices are insane!
I feel you there brother! Missed opportunity that sat around for a while a few years back...back when I couldn't fathom spending over $200 on a knife, and also thought the Shaman was too big. :disappointed
I didn't even know enough a few years ago to pay attention! Live and learn I guess. Maybe someone will get an exclusive done in s90, I would go for that. K390 would be welcome too, I would jump all over that! Crossing my fingers!

I thought about grabbing one of those blade hq m4/micarta shamans, but I have a jade/m4 and the zwear, so decided against it. DLT is supposed to order a run when spyderco lifts the no-exclusive restrictions, wondering if it will be a cruwear/purple G10 shaman... I might go for that but it will be a couple years out for sure lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I carry and use my S90V PM2 on the weekends and when I am not in the office on weekdays. It is a great steel. I use it regularly in my garden when harvesting. A sharp edge and high edge retention makes harvesting cabbage a breeze.
Just one more knife...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:11 am
Fireman wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:08 pm
S90V is great if you have a trip where you can bring diamond sharpening tools or don’t intend to sharpen. S90V is a great choice when you want a long lasting edge and don’t want or need to sharpen and corrosion resistance is a premium. I like this steel a lot for what it does. Kudos to Spyderco for offering this steel. Spyderco is a great company that bends over backwards to please it’s clients. Spyderco will always have my appreciation and admiration
I brought ym S90V Native for this reason, was gone for 6 weeks and only brought a DMT Diafold which I only used once after 5 weeks. My wife and I used it as the only knife for foodprep and just about everything else.
Not a Spyderco, But with my Saddle Mountain Skinner, I attached a keychain DMT to the bolteron sheath for my backpack trips so that I have it for touch ups in the field. I took this on a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite but I used my millie and another fixed blade with this as a back up fixed. I usually have a back up knife or some overlap in knives because I like to be prepared, and I am a knife guy lol

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Netherend wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:06 pm
I carry and use my S90V PM2 on the weekends and when I am not in the office on weekdays. It is a great steel. I use it regularly in my garden when harvesting. A sharp edge and high edge retention makes harvesting cabbage a breeze.
This is a lettuce harvesting knife. It would be great for cabbage too. I am a big fan of this agricultural knife and the blade style. In a premium steel or as a folder, it would be amazing. It’s basically a positive angle modified tanto. Spyderco, want to make a rad knife?!?!? this is it. I would call it the Salinas knife because the Salinas valley is the salad bowl to the world and IIRC supplies half the salad for the country.
Last edited by Fireman on Sat May 21, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Oops, here is the pic

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I have not one single S90V blade (shame) but I really really want one (or three or four). I'm hoping the upcoming LW Caly comes with an S90V option.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Been using the S90V Sprint Run Yojumbo as part of my work knife rotation for the past 3 months or so. As far as gross edge retention goes (based on my non-scientific, subjective observation/experience), I'd say it's a cut above (hah!) my S30V Yojimbo 2 (my primary work knife) and performs similarly to the other high-wear resistance knives in my current work rotation (a Delica 4 in K390, an Endura 4 in ZDP-189, and a PM2 in S110V).

I know that based on Larrin's testing, S90V should noticeably outcut K390, ZDP-189, and S110V, but the varying blade geometries of my representative knives in those steels makes it impossible to tease out reliable, objective performance differences.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I bought this S90V Military secondhand years ago, and used it with abandon. It was fantastic, and exceptional at holding an edge! I sold it like a dummy after I bought the S90V CF/Ti version.

Then there is this one, a PM2 CTS-20CP (S90V equivalent). It was my first Spyderco, more that 10 years ago. I still use it weekly to process the recycling. Somehow it never had that same exceptional edge retention as the S90V Military, but it was not far behind. The convex grind makes it an impressive slicer and destroyer of cardboard boxes.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Fireman wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 pm
Oops, here is the pic

Oooo I would love to see a spyderco in a similar shape. It would be great in an open back lightweight folder.
Just one more knife...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not to derail here, but take a look at the Finch Knives Harvester. They have a green micarta and cocobolo handles available last I knew. This thing is pretty awesome!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 am
Not to derail here, but take a look at the Finch Knives Harvester. They have a green micarta and cocobolo handles available last I knew. This thing is pretty awesome!

That is an excellent knife. I am jealous
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Netherend wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:49 am
Fireman wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 pm
Oops, here is the pic

Oooo I would love to see a spyderco in a similar shape. It would be great in an open back lightweight folder.

I have some designs based on this if Spyderco is interested
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

My only experience with s90v is my forum native.
I use it regurly mostly carving wood , cutting paper , plastics some cardboard and i can not recal really sharpening it more then twice on the sharpmaker maybe some thouch ups with only the fine white stones.
And i do strop it from time to time.

The steel is just amazing and i wish it would be more used but spyderco always puts it in expensive sprint runs with cf and then distributors ask a kidney and a lung for it or they make exclusives with it. And if you live where i do not one of those exclusive dealer knives is ever getting towards you’re doorstep. Because most dealers do not sell to europe.

I do not know if im breaking any rules with this but here is an example of how expensive sprints are in europe and this is from the cheapest dealer i know. (if i am breaking any rules please tell me i wil delete it post haste just want to make an example. )
The yojumbo converted to dollars is 366 dollars about a 120 dollars more then in the USA :woozy

And a picture of my beloved Native.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I have a S90V UKPK. Used it for very little cutting so can't tell how it performs in comparisson with say S30V.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Yojumbo is a yooooge chunk of S90V
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Jim Malone wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 am
I have a S90V UKPK. Used it for very little cutting so can't tell how it performs in comparisson with say S30V.

I think you mean S110V...blue?
So it goes.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Ah yes, sorry, a dark blue one.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

S90V gets Very sharp and holds it's edge very very well.

This Native 5 belongs to a Lady I know.