Micarta Scales - Is it possible to restore to new after very limited handling?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mmadison

Micarta Scales - Is it possible to restore to new after very limited handling?

Post by mmadison »

Pardon me if this topic was recently explored. I searched.

I recently bought one too many M4 Shamans. I am considering returning one, or perhaps making it a safe-queen, not sure.

I notice though, that just the tiniest bit of oil from my hands (even immediately after a good soap wash) seems to change the color of the scales.

If I were ever in a position where I wanted to trade or sell the knife as new, is there any way to reverse the oil marks?

I mean, literally, I opened the knife to check the action, and there is a mark where my thumb was.

Anyone?
curlyhairedboy

Re: Micarta Scales - Is it possible to restore to new after very limited handling?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Washing the scales with Dawn dish detergent will remove the oil.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Re: Micarta Scales - Is it possible to restore to new after very limited handling?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

One of the reasons I prefer G-10.

Not sure whether yours was oiled or dry when you got it. But if I want mine 'dry' I wipe it down with 90% isopropyl alcohol. If I want it 'oiled' I put some mineral oil on it, then wipe it down several times with a microfiber towel until its dried off. The result is an oil darkened handle, but it's uniformly so.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mmadison

Post by mmadison »

I figured plain dish soap. I just didn't want to further discolor it. Many thanks.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Youre almost better off leaving the finger print. Anything you do is going to change it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just put on some gloves and swap the scales from the other one you bought. Keep the blemished ones for yourself and sell the better conditioned ones. Shaman scale swap is extremely easy and only takes about 3 minutes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

If dish soap doesn't work maybe applying a paste of baking soda and water, then letting it dry? Careful of letting water getting into the pivot or sitting on the blade. Rust probably hurts resale more than a grease spot. Seems like most solutions have the chance of making things worse.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I don't think you can 'sell it as new' or 'return it if you do any of those cleaning efforts' and remain in good faith.

Selling it as handled, but not used or carried is a-ok, and ethical.
araneae

Post by araneae »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:23 am
Youre almost better off leaving the finger print. Anything you do is going to change it.
Agreed. The more you do to the knife, the less honest it is to call it new IMO. Like new is a better descriptor for a handled knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I feel like this will ultimately lead to a somewhat dishonest future sale, whether you intend it that way or not, something will be listed as NIB that clearly isn't. I'd just be honest about it myself, you may lose a few bucks but you'd be doing the future owner a kindness.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mmadison

Post by mmadison »

Evil D -

Agreed.

Micarta makes it interesting, as, by strict definition, unless the last person that handled the knife was of Spyderco employ, at the site of packaging, a micarta scaled knife cannot be ethically re-sold as new in box.

The definition of "splitting hairs", we are certainly all aware. This discussion, even - a testament to all of our shared OC(utting tool)D.

I guess raw physics dictates the same for any item, micarta just magnifies the scale.

Alas, I revert to the Golden Rule.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I oiled my M4 Shaman micarta upon receipt and by the next day, it looked just like I received it. Micarta doesn't absorb oil and the oily fingerprint will likely disappear very shortly.