Broken Z-Cut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rinzler

Re: Broken Z-Cut

Post by Rinzler »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm
Coastal wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:59 pm
I can't see any reason to put a hole in a fixed blade, trademark or not. It has only downside, mainly that crud can get in and become a seed for corrosion.
Here's a reason. By not including a trademark on basically all models, it can be harder to defend the trademark's status as a legitimate trademark. I'm sure Sal has said that himself. This is not a patent for its function, so how a round hole makes a knife perform is irrelevant. There are plenty of companies that would be quick to start using it if the trademark is lost.
Easy. Create a subsidiary called SpydieCut or whatever. Switch all Zcut or kitchen knife production to it. Laser the blade or mark the handle, “SpydieCut by Spyderco”. No more kitchen knife holes needed. Give the company to Sal’s grandkids or whatever. Instant transfer of wealth for the future generation and the kitchen knife line doesn’t need the hole anymore.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Zive wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:12 am
Sorry for your loss.

When I saw the second photo I briefly thought Ed Schempp had made a kitchen knife.
:rofl
/ David
araneae

Post by araneae »

If it was done in by Braunschweiger, there was something off and the tiny Spydie hole does not seem like the culprit so much as a bystander.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I doubt it's the hole that's the issue; eager to hear what Golden thinks once they have it in. I would guess fatigue affecting a defect already present in the steel.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

araneae wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:51 am
If it was done in by Braunschweiger, there was something off and the tiny Spydie hole does not seem like the culprit so much as a bystander.
Except that it broke at the hole, likely compounded or directly caused by the Spidey hole.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

How weird that it was Braunschweiger, of all things. There had to be an issue with that particular knife.
Off topic; I love the stuff, and will have to get some now.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:03 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:22 pm
I love how thin they are, it's why they cut so well. There's an endless supply of thick kitchen knives out there.
They're thin, but with a thickish grind
Yep, I've complained about this in the past. They could be thicker stock with a thinner grind to add rigidity and give up nothing in cutting performance.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Actually I bought them for their flexibility. I use them for fileting around rib bones on smaller fish. Different cuts made when fileting a fish means different tools for the job. So many fishermen expect one blade to do it all and remain hair popping sharp forever. Ain't happening with any steel. Hacking thick rib bones, chopping heads off see to that. I digress. Flexible blades do have their place, tho.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah, that's my point. A fillet knife is not ideal for general purpose kitchen duty.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Rinzler wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:24 pm
araneae wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:51 am
Except that it broke at the hole, likely compounded or directly caused by the Spidey hole.
I have cut much harder with mine with no issue, something is off (maybe bad heat treat) and it's not likely simply a spidey hole issue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There might be some misunderstanding based on some of the comments. When I say pressed down, I meant like in spreading motion not in a cutting motion. Still only a few degrees of flex before it snapped. A fillet knife would have shrugged it off like it was nothing. My z-cut seemed to be overly hard or maybe BD1n cannot be used in such thin stock. Maybe just a fluke bad heat treat or inclusion in the steel? I have no answer and that is why I’ll send it in for Spyderco to examine.

My other K series Spydercos have been fine for 20 years or so, so I’ve plenty of knives to assist in kitchen duties. :bug-red-white
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001