Broken Z-Cut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Broken Z-Cut

Post by JRinFL »

Well, it finally happened to me, I broke a knife. I was pressing down on some soft Braunschweiger and *ting* the Z-cut snapped at the hole. If these are going to be run so hard, then it's best to avoid putting the hole in the blade. I'll not be replacing this one as I'd always be worried about it snapping and possibly leaving a piece of metal behind in the food.

I'll send it in so they can do a postmortem on it at the factory.
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 10.43.00 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 10.42.36 AM.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Re: Broken Z-Cut

Post by GarageBoy »

Are they actually run super hard?
Zive

Post by Zive »

Sorry for your loss.

When I saw the second photo I briefly thought Ed Schempp had made a kitchen knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Maybe they could laser engrave a faux hole next to the spydie there? :) I agree though, seems unnecessary to have holes if they are going to weaken the blade in such a way. I have many Z-cuts and love them, but I try to avoid any serious pressure for this reason.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I have the same reservations with mine, and I've seen a few pictures of them snapped through the *not-opening* hole. It's a bit of a shame that this is the only expression of this material combo, I hope they make a few more inexpensive BD1N/polypropylene US made kitchen knives, a bread/sandwich knife and a general utility knife with a taller and slightly thicker blade would be welcome additions.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Never understood why Spyderco drills holes in their fixed blades. I know Spyderco came up with the Spyderhole
but these holes weaken the blade and have no function. A bug lasered on the blade could have the same function without compromising strenght.
sal

Post by sal »

I'd like to study the piece when it comes in. The trademark round hole is always a puzzlement. The trademark is a though hole, not a faux hole. We don't use it on all of our kitchen knives. We thought it would be OK on the "Z-Cut". We've only had a few break.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For what it's worth I've given away dozens of these knives as presents, I use several in my kitchen and have roommates who are less than gentle with them. I've haven't ever worried about them breaking and never seen any sign of them warping or breaking. Never had anyone I've given one have a problem either. I've been thoroughly impressed by the performance and price point honestly.

Obviously JR had an issue, but out of 20 or so Z-cuts I've yet to.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I never worry about breaking a blade at the hole, whether fixed or folder. But I can't see any reason to put a hole in a fixed blade, trademark or not. It has only downside, mainly that crud can get in and become a seed for corrosion.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Bummer, though I don't think we've had any confirmation these are run especially hard. My impression from use and sharpening is that they're hardened properly.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I always felt the z cuts were a little too thin/flimsy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love how thin they are, it's why they cut so well. There's an endless supply of thick kitchen knives out there.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I actually really like the aesthetic spyderco touch of a hole in a fixed blade, but I must admit I've always wondered if it could cause unnecessary strength issues. I haven't heard many occurrences of broken blades, but if I were designing a fixed blade for my own use, I don't think I could bring myself to put a hole in it even if I enjoyed the look.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Coastal wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:59 pm
I can't see any reason to put a hole in a fixed blade, trademark or not. It has only downside, mainly that crud can get in and become a seed for corrosion.
Here's a reason. By not including a trademark on basically all models, it can be harder to defend the trademark's status as a legitimate trademark. I'm sure Sal has said that himself. This is not a patent for its function, so how a round hole makes a knife perform is irrelevant. There are plenty of companies that would be quick to start using it if the trademark is lost.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 pm
Coastal wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:59 pm
I can't see any reason to put a hole in a fixed blade, trademark or not. It has only downside, mainly that crud can get in and become a seed for corrosion.
Here's a reason. By not including a trademark on basically all models, it can be harder to defend the trademark's status as a legitimate trademark. I'm sure Sal has said that himself. This is not a patent for its function, so how a round hole makes a knife perform is irrelevant. There are plenty of companies that would be quick to start using it if the trademark is lost.

To me, at least, this isn't a strong argument, given that most knives in their culinary line do not feature holes. Plus, it seems like if at least one of a company's trademarks appears on a product, that should be enough (I am assuming that the bug is also a trademark).
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:22 pm
I love how thin they are, it's why they cut so well. There's an endless supply of thick kitchen knives out there.
They're thin, but with a thickish grind
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 am
Are they actually run super hard?
Internet says BD1N gets up to 63 hrc. Could be? But they’re very thin. Maybe just not made for serious pressure.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Once info on the breakage is available, please report back. Thanks! We love our Z-cuts in the kitchen.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have several of these thin wonders. I use them and use them hard. I often cut up a roast, all the way to the platter beneath (yes, I know). I've used them on green plantains, too. That can be a workout! I have never had any issues, at all. It sounds like a simple heat treatment issue, not a hole issue. Something went wrong with that lot, or there could have been a defect in the steel itself when it was formed before being made into a blade. I don't worry about mine, at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:03 pm
I always felt the z cuts were a little too thin/flimsy.
They are very thin. That’s why I like the three we have.