Packing Tape vs Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmohawk

Packing Tape vs Blade

Post by Shmohawk »

Hey All!

There are times when I have to cut through substantial amounts of packing tape to open and break down boxes/packages.
The adhesive and bits of tape gunk up the edge and blade pretty quickly making it get progressively more difficult to cut.
I will often stop to clean off the blade but I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done or any variables that would decrease the gunking.

Perhaps a different cutting technique?
Different blade shape/style?
PE vs SE? (All my users are PE)
Toothy edge vs refined/polished edge?
Different blade steels?

I have no idea if any of the above would make a difference just throwing some ideas out there that I was thinking about.

Thanks!
JSumm

Re: Packing Tape vs Blade

Post by JSumm »

A coat of vasoline on the blade every once in awhile may help to discourage the goo from sticking or make clean up easier and faster. Other than that, I would imagine goo or not Serrated Edge is going to rip what you need and not be slowed down by any residue.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I rub the blade with mineral oil. It works ok on uncoated blades but is really effective on DLC coated blades. A nice coat of mineral oil on DLC and nothing sticks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vaseline will likely work. It is mineral oil with paraffin wax that makes it stick. Wipe on, wipe off. It will still be there.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I deal with tape gunk 6 days a week. I coat my tool steel blades (which is mostly what I own) in mineral oil, but that's more for the corrosion factor. Tape gunk still sticks to any of these SATIN blades, regardless of what is on there. I think it likely wears off the blades after a few cuts.

I do agree 100% with spoonrobot though on mineral oil on DLC blades, for whatever reason I never have any issues with tape gunk sticking on DLC blades.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you were to use something like goo gone on a blade, would you need to clean it off right away? i'm not sure if the lemon oil causes corrosion issues. that stuff is amazing at cleaning that kind of gunk off of anything, but i wouldn't want to rust a blade in the name of keeping it clean and cutting.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:35 am
if you were to use something like goo gone on a blade, would you need to clean it off right away? i'm not sure if the lemon oil causes corrosion issues. that stuff is amazing at cleaning that kind of gunk off of anything, but i wouldn't want to rust a blade in the name of keeping it clean and cutting.
I use lighter fluid for this very purpose! Zippo, to be exact. Though I understand not everyone will have or want to have this stuff just laying around. Though the smaller cans are pretty portable.

Acetone works great too but this stuff scares me on the rust factor, as lb was saying.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:35 am
If I recall, Goo Gone has a gel like texture, so it may remain on the blade and you would then need to clean off the cleaner. I could be wrong.

For cleaning, I like alcohol. Preferrably rubbing alchohol and not the the best whiskey you have on hand. Also Acetone as previously mentioned does a great job at cleaning gunk. It evaporates so fast I have never had an issue with corrosion with these two.

I don't know, if it is a big enough concern, I would reccomend just getting a serrated Pac Salt and go to town.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:29 am
I deal with tape gunk 6 days a week. I coat my tool steel blades (which is mostly what I own) in mineral oil, but that's more for the corrosion factor. Tape gunk still sticks to any of these SATIN blades, regardless of what is on there. I think it likely wears off the blades after a few cuts.

I do agree 100% with spoonrobot though on mineral oil on DLC blades, for whatever reason I never have any issues with tape gunk sticking on DLC blades.
I worked in a warehouse for over a decade and this was my experience as well. If I was cutting a lot of cardboard, it would quickly dry up and wipe away any oil or lube I would apply on uncoated blades. Nothing lasted so I just got used to the inevitable tape and glue gunk.

DLC coatings are porous and retain oil well. In theory I can understand why that might help to keep those little bits of tape off the blade but I don’t personally remember my DLC coated knives being any less prone to bits of tape getting stuck to the edge. I’m not saying they’re not, I just don’t have any personal recollection of that.

———

Also in my experience, serrated edge knives collected little bits of tape much more than plain edge knives.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been using Goo Gone to clean blades for years, just wiped down afterward and never had any issues.
YMMV.
Danke

Post by Danke »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Danke wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:36 am
Hey, don't come in here being all logical :zany
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benben

Post by benben »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:05 pm
Danke wrote:
Hey, don't come in here being all logical :zany
Yeah, common sense! :eye-roll
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Silicone spray on a paper towel then wipe the blade? Silicone is pretty persistent stuff.
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

Danke wrote:
The problem is I don't carry one of those but I do carry a :bug-red-white .
And these boxes that I refer to are like the Spanish Inquisition, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
I'll be walking down the street and a bunch of boxes with thick heavy packing tape sneak up on me. :ninja
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I used to open over a hundred boxes in a day easy. I found that little serrated hawkbills power through even when they're covered with tape. The ladybug Hawkbill and Dragonfly Hawkbill are perfect. The new BHQ Serrated Dodo would probably as well if you're looking for something extra heavy duty.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:28 pm
I used to open over a hundred boxes in a day easy. I found that little serrated hawkbills power through even when they're covered with tape. The ladybug Hawkbill and Dragonfly Hawkbill are perfect. The new BHQ Serrated Dodo would probably as well if you're looking for something extra heavy duty.
Yup. For a lot of jobs blade geometry affects performance more than how sharp the edge is.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you can't figure out a way to prevent buildup, I'd get a cheap bottle of eyedrops like Clear Eyes and empty it out and refill it with nail polish remover. Then you can carry it in your pocket and easily squirt a couple drops on a napkin and wipe it clean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sigh. You all miss the obvious: The OP needs to carry more knives! When one gets dirty, switch to the next, and so on...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:28 pm
That's kinda what I was thinking with serrations. Gunked up or not, they gonna rip!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005