Manix 2 LW Locking system

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reagenn

Manix 2 LW Locking system

Post by Reagenn »

Hi, new member to the forum and have a quick question...

I've carried a Delica 4 for many years, along with a few Benchmades, and am looking to add to my (very) small collection.
I really like the side locking action on some of the knives I have, so I've kinda settled on the Manix 2 LW but wasn't sure how dependable and smooth the Spyderco side locking mechanism is, compared to say, the BM Axis lock. Has it been proven to last and perform dependably?

Unfortunately, the closest dealer would be a hundred miles away, so I haven't had the opportunity to see or handle one in person.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Just one more, please.
sal

Re: Manix 2 LW Locking system

Post by sal »

Hi Reagenn,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

After my first Spyderco. I went to Benchmade for several models. I like them. I had one of the omega springs break on me. They will not send you replacement parts. You have to send it in and they will repair at no cost, but you have to cover shipping to get it there. Also, I could never consistently get my BMs to the tight action I wanted with zero lateral blade play. They would eventually loosen and up and the play would come back. It is one of the reasons I came back to Spyderco after only owning one model. And now after many more models later, I am sold on the solidness of the Spydercos I have. I don't think I have enough lifetimes to wear them out.

The Manix light weight is one of my very favorite models. I carry mine often. It has more of a solid action (stiffer) than my Benchmades, but I really like that. It seems bomb proof.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the Forum! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

X
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I haven't pushed it to the limit yet, but my first Manix 2 LW (the one that is black in CTS-BD1N) can be tuned to drop shut (if that's something you want) without any play laterally or vertically. It was really stiff at the beginning, but I think the ball had to "learn" it's route through use. Now it's very smooth.

The lock-up on this knife is really solid. And seeing how it works, I don't think it's the kind of lock that'll decide to fail you after some years of use ! I'm sure there is people that have daily drived this model for years and that can testify to their experience !

You came to the right place to ask that question. Welcome to the forum, and hope that you'll enjoy whatever knife you end up buying !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Yes, the Manix 2 lightweight is smooth and dependable in my experience. As far as I know, there are very few if any reports of the locking mechanism not lasting. As far as the action, you have to learn it. Because you need to use two fingers on the tab, one on each side, and it takes a decent amount of force to pull the tab down. I usually brace the butt of the handle against my palm and pull the tabs, then a slight wrist motion swings it open or closed. It pivots very smooth and it's easy to operate one handed generally. It takes some traction, and I am not 100% confident in doing this if my hands or the knife is slippery or wet. You can also thumb or middle finger flick it. 2-handed opening and closing is always a reliable option also. I like the Manix and have had it for years, but my Delica and Salt 2 get more pocket time because the Manix has a sort of wide footprint, and I have gotten used to just carrying the Delica in my pocket without a clip.

Edit: I mainly talked about the locking mechanism since that was your question. It kind of goes without saying on a modern Spyderco/Eric Glesser knife, but the cutting performance is fantastic and it feels very comfortable in the hand.
Last edited by spydergoat on Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I will add, I am very interested in getting a second Manix 2 LW in the future in order to try out a new steel, whether it is Spy27 (already released) or MagnaCut (not released but announced at Shot Show this year).
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Unlike the axis lock, the CBBL is pretty difficult to operate with one finger, and thus it can be *very* hard to operate one-handed if the user has small hands.

On the plus side it's extremely robust and smooth once broken in.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

CBBL for the win. Bar locks are great however the springs can (and do) fatigue and break. I have had my M2LW for several years and use and carry it often. It has gotten subtly smoother and easier to operate. Function and lockup are as secure and solid as day one. Just my .02¢.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

My LW CBBL Manix is a little stiff so thumb and fore finger is required for me. If you can find one, you might want to check out the Bolt Action Sage. Less effort to operate and not prone to spring breakage like the axis lock.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer the manix cbbl to the bm axis lock. the axis lock feels cheaper and less dependable to me. the manix is more difficult to operate (not really, but might take a bit to get used to it), but i think it has a better and more dependable feel to it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Reagenn wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:43 am
Has it been proven to last and perform dependably?

Yes, the caged ball bearing lock is dependable; it's my favorite of Spyderco's lock styles. Some say it's stronger and more dependable than the Axis lock, but both have been reliable for me.

An exception was a Manix 2 LW REX45 Sprint, where the cage/ball/blade clearance was insufficient. The result was that the blade could not drop freely. I sent it back to the factory, and their customer service person told me that the knife was fine. I could have pushed back, as the problem was obvious to anyone knowledgable, but I was excited and didn't want to risk losing the hard-to-get knife. I had to fix it myself. On a production knife, this wouldn't have been so complicated.

I'm only throwing this out there because you asked a specific question. I've had six Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL knives, and one was bad. For me, that's one in six. But the actual good/bad ratio could be one in a million. I don't know.

Another difference between the CBBL and Axis is the spring pressure on the release. The Spyderco is substantially stronger. My personal preference is for the lighter spring pressure. On the LW knife, it's not practical to adjust. On the G10 model, it's easy. But honestly, I prefer the FRCP scales on the LW, rather than the G10.

I think you'll be pleased if you get a Manix 2 in whatever configuration appeals to you.
Reagenn

Post by Reagenn »

Thanks everyone for your insight, that's exactly what I was looking to hear.
Skeeg11 mentioned the bolt action Sage, and I had actually looked for a Sage 3 but to no avail, so I'm assuming they've been out of production for some time.
So, I guess the Manix 2 LW w/ Spy 27 is my next purchase. Hopefully they will come out with something other than green before too much longer.
Just one more, please.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Reagenn wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:57 pm
So, I guess the Manix 2 LW w/ Spy 27 is my next purchase. Hopefully they will come out with something other than green before too much longer.
Great Choice!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I agree with ladybug. I much prefer the cbbl to the axis lock. Yes, it is a bit stiffer in operation, but, to me, it also feels much more solid. I found it very easy to open and close one handed. I would definitely get another.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I think the difference in practice comes down to the size of your hand with either the Axis or the CBBL.

I have a hard time with the Griptillian because of my medium hands, while the Mini Grip is easy for me.

The key is getting the butt of the knife resting in the heel of your hand. If your hands aren’t large enough you won’t be able to do that and either knife will want to slip backwards as you trigger the release.

The Manix actuation is a bit stiffer, but overall I like it better than the Griptillian, mostly because of the choil which gives me a place to catch the blade.

So, between the Two, I prefer the Manix, because of this. Also, I just like the design better overall.

Last edited by jwbnyc on Fri May 27, 2022 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Reagenn wrote:
Shut the front door!
You're telling me it's GREEN?
I thought it was blue!

Whatever words people use to describe the scales,
I sometimes dye them to make them more to my liking.
Dyeing isn't difficult.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Ball Bearing Lock is a lot stiffer than the Axis Lock, so be prepared. However, it is a lot more secure. The coil spring us unlikely to break (think Ruger) and the knife has a slight bias to stay closed and does not pop open in your pocket or when dropped, unlike an Axis Lock can do. So, while I prefer the ease of the Axis Lock, I prefer to own and carry the Manix 2 with the BBL.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Reagenn wrote:
Skeeg11 mentioned the bolt action Sage, and I had actually looked for a Sage 3 but to no avail, so I'm assuming they've been out of production for some time.
Well, that's more of a blue to me ! Here it is compared to the usual black FRCP (wich has the same look as the black FRN) :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Reagenn

Post by Reagenn »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:28 am
Reagenn wrote:
Well, that's more of a blue to me ! Here it is compared to the usual black FRCP (wich has the same look as the black FRN) :

LOl, not sure what's up with the color thing. This is the picture I was looking at, and to me it sure looks green. But yours is definitely looking blue.
Attachments
61+iDnmh3QL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
61b04PfXkvL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Just one more, please.