FRN Texturing likes and dislikes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: FRN Texturing likes and dislikes

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I Strongly dislike the the bi directional FRN. The sharp and abrasive texture is just overkill practically speaking for my edc use, and I don’t care for the way it makes the knife look at all. maybe if my knife tasks were incorporated with a more wet and slippery environment, then maybe I’d look at it a different way and find appreciation for it.
For small knives I like stainless steel, for mid or larger sized knives, micarta, g10 or carbon fiber are what I’m partial to.
:bug-red-white
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

I think the fish scale style is the best they make - the more knives looking like the pro-tech fish/reptile scale, the more I'd get. Then the Chap-style, then bi-directional, in terms of overall appeal. I think bi-directional looks terrific with the circular logo, but is significantly less attractive with the oblong. There is no discernable difference in function between these for me, so it's a matter of taste. I dislike volcano frn, but I hate carbon fiber/peel ply checkerboard textures too, it's a checkerboard thing.

For reference, are these the only types available?

1. Fish Scale
2. Chaparral-style
3. Bi-Directional
4. Urban/UKPK
5. Volcano
[Bi-Directional, web-style (oop models)]

On the subject of aesthetics, let's talk about boxes. Why on earth did they ever stop using the spiderweb boxes? They were perfect, and are orders of magnitude cooler and more attractive than the contemporary boxes!
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Sage 5 FRN is the best followed by Seki IMHO
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I really have no complaints with any of the FRN , generally prefer other materials but FRN has served me well . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I like all the Spyderco FRNs I've handled, several kinds but not all the variations. I was especially surprised by how nice the Value and byrd FRNs are: grippy and attractive. My favorite FRN variation is the old-school kind that has little squares with a circle in the middle of each square.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the bi-directional is brilliant. I can't think of anything better. For me, it is only on small pocket knives that I like the Maniago style of texture. Weirdly, I don't think I would want a Salt Dragonfly to have any but what it currently has.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050