FRN Texturing likes and dislikes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

FRN Texturing likes and dislikes

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like Spyderco's texturing on their FRN. On knives with 2.75" and larger blades I love the bi-directional texturing. That stuff really anchors a knife into my hands and it is not harsh and it does not create hotspots for me.

However, on smaller knives 2.65" blades and under, I greatly prefer the texturing on the Maniago knives, such as the Urban, Pingo, and etc. It still gives enough grip, but it is a lot smoother in the pocket and hand.

What about you all?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ez556

Re: FRN Texturing likes and dislikes

Post by Ez556 »

I am a very big fan of the Bi-directional texturing on Spyderco's FRN knives, it's looks amazing and it works so well. I have never handled a knife out of Maniago, however the texturing on a UKPK looks similar and I have handled those. I do think that is a bit more of a "refined" texture, as in it would likely fit better with nicer clothing than Bi-Directional texturing which has more of an active/functional appearance. I certainly would think it would go in and out of the pocket a little nicer, and I would think it'd be little easier to keep clean as well.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have no issues with any of the FRN texturing Spyderco uses
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

The hexagon pattern on the Sage 5 LW is visually lovely, but it grabs my pocket stitching and fabric as much as g10 does. The angled bi-directional block pattern on the Delica/Endura and Para 3 LW is easier on my pants.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Seki texturing is perfect on all of their current FRN models. I do enjoy the FRN on the Chap LW as well. I love my Seki FRN knives though. They make up over 90% of my collection, and I have many more on my want list.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like the texturing so much i bought a squarehead to keep in my pocket at work as a "worry stone." i don't dislike the other texturing you're referring to, but i prefer the standard.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

My favorite is the fish scale FRN texturing on the Calypso Jr. I don’t find it any more or less grippy than the standard bi-directional FRN texturing, I just like how unique it is. I doubt it will happen, but I’m really hoping they’ll bring it back for the upcoming Caly3/3.5 Lightweight.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PocketShredder wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:10 pm
My favorite is the fish scale FRN texturing on the Calypso Jr. I don’t find it any more or less grippy than the standard bi-directional FRN texturing, I just like how unique it is. I doubt it will happen, but I’m really hoping they’ll bring it back for the upcoming Caly3/3.5 Lightweight.
Funny you mention that because I was just thinking that the fish scale FRN texture is my least favorite in terms of aesthetics. Even as an avid fisherman, I’m still not a fan of it. When it comes to function I don’t dislike the fish scale texture but I prefer Seki and Goldens bidirectional texture.
-Nick :bug-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I prefer the bidirectional FRN/FRCP regardless of the size of the knife. It looks better, it's better in the hand, and it's better in the pocket. It's not that the G10 knives are bad, but they look rather plain, and they have more friction coming in/out of the pocket.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For most of my needs I could easily get away with a less aggressive texture of my FRN knives. I don’t dislike the current textures so I won’t request any changes.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I don't like the appearance of the Chaparral LW FRN. The Seki and Golden looks better. All work well.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I don't like the appearance of the Chaparral LW FRN. The Seki and Golden looks better. All work well.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

In general I like Spyderco's FRN usage. My one suggestion is that they could solid-fill select areas along the perimeter, so people who find less-opinionated grip shapes more comfortable and more accommodating to various holds could reshape them somewhat, just like you can with linerless G10 and other solid materials.

For example, my Stretch XL is really nice, and I might prefer it overall to my EDC Endura, but it is only comfortable in my (XXL) hand when using the finger choil. If I could abrade the center bulge down some, I'd like the Stretch XL much better. (Same for the Endura, just in a different place.) But with the pattern to the edge, and especially the interior webbing, I can't change the outline of the grip panels. A solid FRN perimeter, especially on the edge where the blade is stored when folded, would allow minor customization that would be a major comfort help.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Hexagon for life!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My faborite is the texturing used on the N5s, Dragonflies and such. I don't mind the one on the Sage 5 LW or Chap' LW, but I like the Spyder in the center of it's web.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do like the Seki bidirectional, but on some knives I like the smoother, yet still grip-able texturing like on the Urban...only on pocket knives like the Urban, SPYDK, Pingo, etc. and would like it on the Lil Native LW, I think. I Chaparral texturing is okay. I don't mind it. I just prefer the others for grip and feel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bi-directional FRN over all other FRNs, for me (though I have yet to experience a LW Chaparral).

It ain’t elegant to my eye, but much of the time I don’t need elegant, and sometimes I actually need inelegant.

Bi-directional FRN makes my Bugs bigger in hand.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bjz

Post by bjz »

I have to agree with Doc Dan…the bidirectional is great on large and medium size knives intended for “work” but I find that the texture they use on the UKPN to be fantastic for smaller and more casual knives.

For instance, I like the grip on the chap, but seemingly like others, it’s probably my most pant-shredding knife…this one would be great with the UKPN texture! Similar thoughts regarding the dragonfly!

Ironically, the bidirectional blocks are small enough and close enough together on the ladybug that they don’t bother me as much.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Visually, I don't love the super fine mesh pattern on the slip joint spydercos and I also hate cleaning stuff out from them.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like the texturing on my Seki models. I also like the one on my UKPK Salt.

What I don't like is when the clips contact point is not in the center of the flat logo. Then even FRN becomes a pocket shredder, like my Native 5 LWT.

I've never had that problem with Spyderco's G10. I don't have the extra-aggressive G10 like on the Yojumbo, but none of the G10 models I have have ever shredded my pockets.

Jim